• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which ASR member would you most want to meet in person, and why? (fun Christmas thread...hopefully...)

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm always up for a pint, should anyone of you find yourselves in Southampton.

I used to work in Bolderwood in Southampton, alas I moved on several years ago.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I want to hang out with @restorer-john and his dad for a few days to go pickin thru all their vintage gear. :)
Careful what you wish for. John shot a recent video of what goes on in his household (note: not work/family friendly):

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Are we that bad?

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But - here's a look at the bench from the late Jim Williams - the genius behind the Linear Tech stuff - it's now preserved at the Computer History Museum

https://computerhistory.org/blog/an-analog-life-remembering-jim-williams/

View attachment 41670

Rumor is that he had it this way to keep co-workers from borrowing stuff...

Those pictures remind me of this Dutch ladies collection of equipment used in RAF V bombers:

http://www.tatjavanvark.nl/tvve/dduck0.html

I'm not sure I'd want to meet any of you lot as I fear that I'd find out I've spent my time and money on all the wrong audio things.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So, we all chat, talk BS, learn, research and argue about High Fidelity, measurements, new products and developments. It's not such a bad place is it? Amir did OK.

A big, eclectic bunch of dudes (mostly), some real characters, nutcases, obsessives, some peaceful and well balanced and others prone to fly off the handle without warning. Some take criticism lightly, others are unassailable in their positions and self belief.

So, who would you like to meet in person, chew the fat with and have a few beers/wines? It's not a popularity contest and if everyone says "Amir" I will actually vomit. And no, I don't want to meet all you clowns either.

Pick one* member and give your reasons, it can be serious or not...

*edited : as many as you want

:)
I'd like to meet quite a lot of ASR but since you ask for specific names those I'd like to meet most would be you (all this incredible vintage stuff) and @solderdude (I just seem to like him :)). Chances to meet the latter are much higher though (some 400 - 600 km distance.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I'd like to meet quite a lot of ASR but since you ask for specific names those I'd like to meet most would be you (all this incredible vintage stuff) and @solderdude (I just seem to like him :)). Chances to meet the latter are much higher though (some 400 - 600 km distance.

Sometimes I visit Siershahn, Koblenz, Trier (in the summer) and Kleve on rare occasions.

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Sometimes I visit Siershahn, Koblenz, Trier (in the summer) and Kleve on rare occasions.

I just read that and thought, who are Sierhahn, Koblenz and Trier? And poor old Kleve, never heard of him- you should visit him more often. Must be old ASR members. ;)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
LTig will know... :D
One of them is the oldest in Germany even.
They all have Weihnachten instead of Christmas which makes the beer tastier.

BaaM

@jipihorn
This dude has done so much for the French community in terms of audio scientific popularization.
It's largely thanks to him that I'm passionate about audio!
I would love to meet him one day to discuss with him and to listen to his horns speakers.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
He seems a bit shy ... 0 posts.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
But - here's a look at the bench from the late Jim Williams - the genius behind the Linear Tech stuff - it's now preserved at the Computer History Museum

https://computerhistory.org/blog/an-analog-life-remembering-jim-williams/

View attachment 41670

Rumor is that he had it this way to keep co-workers from borrowing stuff...

My lab at BTL used to look much like that. Add a 32 channel logic analyzer, and you've got it.

I wish I still had that stuff. Most of it was rudely thrown out.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
My lab at BTL used to look much like that. Add a 32 channel logic analyzer, and you've got it.

I wish I still had that stuff. Most of it was rudely thrown out.

Apparently Jim's lab needs a new home, Jim's wife has reached out to Barrie Gilbert and I heard about it last night through common friends. I knew Jim during the old Bldg. 20 days at MIT in the 70's.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The members I most want to meet are @Sal1950 and @totaldac, preferably at the same time.
Careful what you wish for. John shot a recent video of what goes on in his household (note: not work/family friendly):
That's a perfect representation. LOL

Not on this list that I know - but Restorer John may dig this guys lab - Mr Carlson
Mr Carlson's bench looks like it was used the shoot the opening screen of The Outer Limits.

ayane

Forum Donor
I'd like to meet @John_Siau. He really knows his stuff, but I want to prove to him in person that intersample overs going well above +3dBFS not only exist, but are pretty common in my music collection. The 3 dB of headroom on Benchmark's DAC3 needs to be at least 5 dB higher, because yes, I have a few files that go an entire bit higher (> +6 dBFS), and yes, they are lossless.

Also because Benchmark is really cool and I'd love to work with you guys, so pls notice me sempai

makmeksam

I've already met two.

If anyone shows up at the Florida Audio Expo, I'll be the one that doesn't look like my avatar.
I am in GA. I did not know about Florida Audio Expo. Is it really good? I should come to this!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Last year was a mid-sized show and a lot of fun.
This year looks to be bigger and better.
Take a ride down and check it out.
Entry is free.
https://floridaaudioexpo.com/

Top Bottom