• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which amplifiers have awesome-feeling volume knobs?

brimble

Forum Donor
Hi all.

I thought it would be fun to have a thread about which amplifiers have volume knobs that just make you happy to use them. :D They feel good on the fingers and have just the right physical dimensions and just the right resistance.

Mainly I'm interested in this for all types of amplifier, for fun, so have at it.

I also might personally be in the market for a fairly cheap, low-wattage amplifier for myself, and was disappointed to see in Amir's review that the otherwise excellent Aiyima A07 amp has a "cheap-feeling" volume control.

OP
B

brimble

Forum Donor
For knobs that have the right feel but the wrong physical dimensions, it would be interesting to know whether they can be easily replaced - for example, this is the case for my Stax SRM-Xh amp - the stock volume knob was tiny, but the potentiometer is great, so when I replaced the knob with a slightly bigger one there was joy.

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Schiit's mid sized products with the fancy pot feel nice, it's a common pot and they put a nice knob on it. The Eddie Current Jr is also a great knob, I think I like it better but it's got a tighter feel so you need more grip. It's a larger knob with texture on it and just feels more manly.

I don't like the knobs on my best amp which is one of those 24 stepped jobs. It was used for 'transparency' but I prefer exact signal levels. I'm sure its sounds better than the Schiit knob but I would rather have that.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For the very best, the volume knob mechanism of the top line Accuphase C-3900 alone probably has a higher manufacturing cost than one of those inexpensive but excellent performing headphone amps. (Source)

Accupase C-3900.PNG

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m knobless these days, unless you count the encoder on my rme adi 2 pro be. I can still feel the action on my old accuphase e202 though. Those were the days.

OP
B

brimble

Forum Donor
Schiit's mid sized products with the fancy pot feel nice, it's a common pot and they put a nice knob on it.

Ah - I suspected that because they use ALPS pots. But I wasn't sure - after all, not all ALPS pots are the same. Thank you!

The Eddie Current Jr is also a great knob, I think I like it better but it's got a tighter feel so you need more grip. It's a larger knob with texture on it and just feels more manly.

Large is good.

I don't like the knobs on my best amp which is one of those 24 stepped jobs. It was used for 'transparency' but I prefer exact signal levels.
Oh totally. I've had one of those and hated it.

deprogrammed

deprogrammed

If it's okay to reply with a serious question: how does the volume pot on your Loxjie D30s feel?
I just tested it. It is indented. A little bump as you turn. Not real stiff.Not loose either. I think it is fine. Not Marantz gyro nice but not cheap either. Better than my Denon receiver but not quite as nice as the Parasound preamp I has years ago. Never really thought about and not noticing it is a good compliment.

OP
B

brimble

Forum Donor
I just tested it. It is indented. A little bump as you turn. Not real stiff.Not loose either. I think it is fine. Not Marantz gyro nice but not cheap either. Better than my Denon receiver but not quite as nice as the Parasound preamp I has years ago. Never really thought about and not noticing it is a good compliment.
Great! Thank you.

deprogrammed

Great! Thank you.
Now you have me thinking...
I have a rack mount power box for the monitors. That has a nice tactile switch. An outlaw audio crossover has a nice switch.

X box controllers. A fancy Logitech keyboard.Roku remote. functional but not special.

My microwave and receiver suck.

The top Logitech keyboards. 70's and 80's receivers. Power switch on old IBM computers. Some pro audio equipment.Those stand out. Also had an old calculator that has nice buttons. It was huge and had an unusual display.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
In the context of this thread -- and mind you I haven't ever encountered this monstrosity in the, umm, flesh -- I would think that the knob(s) on this might, if nothing else, live up to the name on the front of the component.

yw5mhfif9bia.png

screenshot:
rrfq4y0awhl5.png

Someone on the Polk forum had one...
rdktfq1pzw4n.jpg

Top Bottom