• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which Amplifier have the best resale value ? please help me compare 2 nads.

• Thread starter Deleted member 51459
  • Start date

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The one with the most features and the best display.
Indeed.

These days there are also other factors to consider... like will the support BluOS version keep up with streaming API changes or other stuff (Dirac?). Or also possible some quality issues emerge over time that impact resale value.

In the "golden ole days" audio equipment was just specialized hardware. Great quality hardware has a *long* lifetime. Now it's software on top of hardware. Think about how long your smartphone is guaranteed to receive updates... it's 4-5 years tops.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Neither. I'll stick with my 1990s end-game amplifiers. :p

they can brake any second and they are lacking new fancy features,
are you fancy a?
Can i stick with my 90s computer and play games or watch movies or something i cant.
or watch videos on my vhs player?

Many people care about the display stuff.
And you will pay extra?
a lot extra.

Indeed.

These days there are also other factors to consider... like will the support BluOS version keep up with streaming API changes or other stuff (Dirac?). Or also possible some quality issues emerge over time that impact resale value.

In the "golden ole days" audio equipment was just specialized hardware. Great quality hardware has a *long* lifetime. Now it's software on top of hardware. Think about how long your smartphone is guaranteed to receive updates... it's 4-5 years tops.

Okey both unites have latest dirac
both unites have 2 removable expandable storage or whatever is called NAD modules which guarantees future proof versions ...
so thats not a good point.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
both unites have 2 removable expandable storage or whatever is called NAD modules which guarantees future proof versions ...

That's what people buying a D7050 for Spotify integration thought. Show us where NAD or BlueOS claim eternal support for MDC modules or hardware... :)

Eventually support for software running on old hardware *inevitably* is discontinued.

So just wait it out. EOL announcements are a fact for such integrated products. No more firmware updates means it'll no longer support software updates that eventually implement the latest APIs into other apps.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
@bladest asked me what my gear is. I don't know where to start. So I won't.

My advice is to keep software/firmware and 'connectivity' digital features out of your amplification altogether. If you don't, your gear will be undesireable and plummet in value very quickly due to planned obsolescence. Do all your connectivity outside the amplifier and replace only the digital side as it fails.

I have bought absolute statement integrated amplifiers for cents on the dollar due to the digital section being perceived as 'obsolete'. Look at AVRs. They are absolutely worthless in 5+ years. I often buy TOTL AVRs for parts I cannot obtain anymore. They rarely cost more than a few dollars. A large home theatre dealer was moving stores and put all their trade-in AVRS/processors/receivers/amps etc out for $50 each. The pile was still there right up to the point they were getting ready to go. I think many went in the skip.

So resale value is not a consideration. Consider it sunk cost.

NAD is not known for reliability. It never has been. There'sa reason there's very little in my collection. They've based their entire business on the back of one product from the 1980s- the 3020, which was a cheap, plastic fronted 20wpc <$100 amplifier. Their digital products may look fabulous, but their performance and inability to be repaired down the track is not good. Blue OS will be dropped/discontinued and what will you be left with?

I have no idea what is available in your country or how expensive it is to get decent gear in. Can you direct import something from say the US? Like a Benchmark AHB-2. Be done with it and keep it forever?

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 51459

Indeed.

That's what people buying a D7050 for Spotify integration thought. Show us where NAD or BlueOS claim eternal support for MDC modules or hardware... :)

Eventually support for software running on old hardware *inevitably* is discontinued.

So just wait it out. EOL announcements are a fact for such integrated products. No more firmware updates means it'll no longer support software updates that eventually implement the latest APIs into other apps.
i really doesnt care about sporify
i only care about blue tooth wifi , these protocal are forever they exist since 90s,
no body cant stop them unless item is defective or they brake ,
i will play music from my old computer with cable probably and from time to time from my phone via airplay apple or wifi or blue tooth if these functions stops somehow i will continue to use cable in order to play music :)
this they cant cut.

@bladest asked me what my gear is. I don't know where to start. So I won't.

My advice is to keep software/firmware and 'connectivity' digital features out of your amplification altogether. If you don't, your gear will be undesireable and plummet in value very quickly due to planned obsolescence. Do all your connectivity outside the amplifier and replace only the digital side as it fails.

I have bought absolute statement integrated amplifiers for cents on the dollar due to the digital section being perceived as 'obsolete'. Look at AVRs. They are absolutely worthless in 5+ years. I often buy TOTL AVRs for parts I cannot obtain anymore. They rarely cost more than a few dollars. A large home theatre dealer was moving stores and put all their trade-in AVRS/processors/receivers/amps etc out for $50 each. The pile was still there right up to the point they were getting ready to go. I think many went in the skip.

So resale value is not a consideration. Consider it sunk cost.

NAD is not known for reliability. It never has been. There'sa reason there's very little in my collection. They've based their entire business on the back of one product from the 1980s- the 3020, which was a cheap, plastic fronted 20wpc <$100 amplifier. Their digital products may look fabulous, but their performance and inability to be repaired down the track is not good. Blue OS will be dropped/discontinued and what will you be left with?

I have no idea what is available in your country or how expensive it is to get decent gear in. Can you direct import something from say the US? Like a Benchmark AHB-2. Be done with it and keep it forever?
i cant import from usa since i cant write it as company expense or accountant expense.
for benchmark i will need pre amplifier and it cost fortune

without been an repair person i totally agree with you
all nad products are cheaply made
they are junk to me their motherboards looks like junk their cables their fans their heatsink everything i see is low quality chinese junk made to last the warranty period of 1-2 years and after that you are on your own...

can you check audiomoney ro - ? i can get naim morantz and other products armam, whats the most reliable with great resale value exept benchmark.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It has been said that only equipment from Bulgaria is available/good.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

It has been said that only equipment from Bulgaria is available/good.

I will write again brands hopefully they can be read,
NAD,arcam,rotel,morantz, rega, naim, i can also get mctintosh from usa price is insane so i dont list it here also i can get accuphase- these two brands no warranty and no option for return.
yamaha some models and technics.
hifi rose some models.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello i almost made my purchase since i dont have wife/kids girlfriend i drive 30 +++ years old car.

Which one i can buy , in order to have the best possible resale value, nad c399 2600$ vs nad m33 3793$

it doesnt matter which one i will choose ,
they will be written as company/accountant expenses so over period of 2 years their value will be 000 in the company terms in case

nad c399 is based on hypex
nad m33 is based on purifi i am interested in their resale value, but also in their sound quality,
as far as i understand based into the sinad chart
and tests done by Amir,

c399 is better into the sinad chart , and m33 is lower in the sinad chart?

nad c399 is in 63rd place sinad value 94db,

nad m33 is in 74th place sinad value 93db , also according to specs m33 is more powerfull
please advice i will buy it this week.

None of the above... If you want an amp that will be worth the same or more when you sell it, purchase a used McIntosh Amp. It most likely won't break a SINAD record, but will look nice (subjective) provide plenty of power, and when you go to sell it you won't loose anything on it (if you purchase used or through someplace like audioclassics).
If resale value, longevity, repairability etc are important to you, it is a no brainer. They are heavy which is unfortunate due to the transformers.
If within budget, the other one that comes to mind is the Benchmark ABH2. SOTA performance, and also much lighter.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I will write again brands hopefully they can be read,
NAD,arcam,rotel,morantz, rega, naim, i can also get mctintosh from usa price is insane so i dont list it here also i can get accuphase- these two brands no warranty and no option for return.
hifi rose some models.
You’re an interesting guy/gal bladest. I’ve commented on a couple threads you’ve posted before. With your current question, you should figure anything you buy is about 50% it’s value a year later. Maybe you get lucky with a really good product and it’s more like 75%. Or I suppose you can buy Sonos amps which nobody can find and sell them on EBay for double the price.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

You’re an interesting guy/gal bladest. I’ve commented on a couple threads you’ve posted before. With your current question, you should figure anything you buy is about 50% it’s value a year later. Maybe you get lucky with a really good product and it’s more like 75%. Or I suppose you can buy Sonos amps which nobody can find and sell them on EBay for double the price.

Hi i am curious person, what are sonos models amps , i can check them out?
i know sonos make some speakers and thats it..

i cant get used item because it cant be written as company expense.

Benchmark and macintosh new are out of the budget.
most of their cheapest possible models are close to 5000$ or more... they are also lacking most features which i am looking for in that set up i will need to spend a lot more to get streaming ,dirac and other things...
so lets call it 6000-7000++$$$

Benchmark ABH2

is a power amp so i need pre amp + streaming dac so 2 more boxes and end price will be a extremely costly for pair of used speakers which i bought less than 1000$ ?
its an overkill.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Eventually they inevitably will not have "the latest Dirac". Like in 3-5 years.

i really doesnt care about sporify
i only care about blue tooth wifi , these protocal are forever they exist since 90s,

No one will buy a $2k+ amp to just listen via Bluetooth without any other options.

And that pretty display that shows album covers will be useless unless the unit keeps up with the APIs.

Good luck.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
And that pretty display that shows album covers will be useless unless the unit keeps up with the APIs.

Don't need no stinkin' APIs for displaying my album art...;)

IMG_0413 (Medium).jpeg

IMG_0414 (Medium).jpeg

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi i am curious person, what are sonos models amps , i can check them out?
i know sonos make some speakers and thats it..

i cant get used item because it cant be written as company expense.

Benchmark and macintosh new are out of the budget.
most of their cheapest possible models are close to 5000$ or more... they are also lacking most features which i am looking for in that set up i will need to spend a lot more to get streaming ,dirac and other things...
so lets call it 6000-7000++$$$

Benchmark ABH2

is a power amp so i need pre amp + streaming dac so 2 more boxes and end price will be a extremely costly for pair of used speakers which i bought less than 1000$ ?
its an overkill.
Hmmm... It sounds like instead of something that holds its value you are looking for a modern streaming amp (all in one) that can stream to it in a variety of ways. This is a very different kind of thing. The ones for this purpose would be...
NAD M10 (v1 or v2)
Sonos Amp
Minidsp SHD Power

The NAD and the Minidsp come with room correction. I don't thing the sonos amp does

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmm... It sounds like instead of something that holds its value you are looking for a modern streaming amp (all in one) that can stream to it in a variety of ways. This is a very different kind of thing. The ones for this purpose would be...
NAD M10 (v1 or v2)
Sonos Amp
Minidsp SHD Power

The NAD and the Minidsp come with room correction. I don't thing the sonos amp does
The choices must include the following names that can be bought in Bulgaria.
hifi rose some models.

OP
D

Deleted member 51459

NAD M10 (v1 or v2)
Sonos Amp
Minidsp SHD Power

Yes i am looking for all in one - the more things the better integrated amp + streaming solution etcs...

Nad m10 v1 and v2 are too underpower and problematic ,
sonos amp, i cant get mini dsp same i cant get.
nad m10 i can get but too underpowered and problematic ,
very low sinad and very back in the charts.
to be honest with you , nad m10 cost 1000$ more money than nad c399,
including blue os module. and its almost 2 times less powerful thats why its out of the question.

UCrazyKid

Buy both and then tell us in 2 years how it turned out.

Top Bottom