• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which amp to pair with Focal Aria 906 speakers? (I also have a DAC)

murkr

After a ton of research, I think I'm going to get a pair of Focal Aria 906 because I can get them for a good discount ($1,000), and they look and sound great.

I also have a RME ADI-2 DAC fs that is a really high-quality DAC I would like to integrate into the setup.

So now I'm looking for a good amp (no internal dac) as the last piece of equipment I need to get everything up and running.

If I had to pick between sounds, I tend to like a "warmer" sound. So please recommend a warmer-sounding amp. Budget under $1,500.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After a ton of research, I think I'm going to get a pair of Focal Aria 906 because I can get them for a good discount ($1,000), and they look and sound great.

I also have a RME ADI-2 DAC fs that is a really high-quality DAC I would like to integrate into the setup.

So now I'm looking for a good amp (no internal dac) as the last piece of equipment I need to get everything up and running.

If I had to pick between sounds, I tend to like a "warmer" sound. So please recommend a warmer-sounding amp. Budget under $1,500.
Since the term "warmer" has no actual meaning relative to amplification, I'd recommend a good Hypex implementation. Plenty of examples here including Boxem and Buckeye.

OP
M

murkr

Since the term "warmer" has no actual meaning relative to amplification, I'd recommend a good Hypex implementation. Plenty of examples here including Boxem and Buckeye.
This is my first setup so Im not sure if I can research the correct product just by the brand name. Someone on reddit recommended a Yamaha A-S501 to me. That seems like a solid choice. Do you know of any other solid amps at my price range that I can compare it to?

Chrise36

Major Contributor
The Arias are "warm" enough you only need a transparent amp. Yamaha AS NAD class ab hypex maybe Arcam are usual choises. The question is what sources do you want to connect.

OP
M

murkr

The Arias are "warm" enough you only need a transparent amp. Yamaha AS NAD class ab hypex maybe Arcam are usual choises. The question is what sources do you want to connect.
I will be connecting the amp to my DAC which is connected to my PC.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
The most trasparent would be hypex based amps. NAD had some very good amps but there are issues with reliability. Yamaha are bit less trasparent but decent quality.Arcam class ab are a bit expensive with lesser features.

OP
M

murkr

The most trasparent would be hypex based amps. NAD had some very good amps but there are issues with reliability. Yamaha are bit less trasparent but decent quality.Arcam class ab are a bit expensive with lesser features.
Im looking for a warm sounding amp though

chips666

Class D Hypex or Purifi plus maybe bigger Focal Aria's

Enjoy...

:)

Overseas

Major Contributor
Rotel A11 Tribute should sound excellent.
My 906 go with Yamaha, pretty good but not top.
I am going to take a lot of heat/shit, but my advice is don't go with class D as other colleagues advise you. They are basically like new car models in the first years.

chingaling

Might I suggest instead of hyper focusing on a warm sounding amp incorporating a Minidsp and use the Dirac live and PEQ to tailor it to the level of warmth that is suitable to your ears. That's what I do, I was just fiddling with it today because I was bored of the way it was sounding. I though it was a little bright and lacking some mids so I just bumped the levels a bit to compensate.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is my first setup so Im not sure if I can research the correct product just by the brand name. Someone on reddit recommended a Yamaha A-S501 to me. That seems like a solid choice. Do you know of any other solid amps at my price range that I can compare it to?
I gave you two providers of Hypex amps. Check models and pricing on their websites. Any of their products should work great; buy as much power as you can afford.

Last edited:

DoesNotExist

Where do you live?

In EU could be found at less than 1000€
https://www.fnac.com/Enceinte-Bibli...Vendue-par-paire/a13789673/w-4#omnsearchpos=3
During last Black Friday they were priced at 500€

chingaling

I gave you two providers of Hypex amps. Check models and pricing on their websites. Any of their products should work great; buy as much power as you can afford.

I mean at the price point defiantly worth a listen and a 30 day in home trial. Lots of options too.

Overseas

Major Contributor

Ok, why would your recommendations work greater on Aria 906 than my recommendations, especially at moderate volume ? Why focus on more power while the man asked for a certain type of sound? I am asking politely.
Let alone multiple troubles one can read about all these relatively new class D?

Overseas

Major Contributor

Class D Hypex or Purifi plus maybe bigger Focal Aria's

Enjoy...

:)
Yeah, also enjoy the latest developments where the seller asks you to physically return the product for an update to fix things.

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Rotel A11 Tribute should sound excellent.
My 906 go with Yamaha, pretty good but not top.
I am going to take a lot of heat/shit, but my advice is don't go with class D as other colleagues advise you. They are basically like new car models in the first years.

It's absolutely false.

You seem outdated and prejudiced.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why focus on more power while the man asked for a certain type of sound?
Because more power means you're less likely to degrade the signal at any time because of amplifier clipping.

More power is always better than less. Buy all the clean power you can afford and you'll be blessed with the best sound possible, assuming you want sound that is faithful to the recording engineer's product.

Top Bottom