• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which amp/spker should I use? Used DENON DRA-455 or new AIYIMA A07 & used TANNOY Mercury MX1 vs used Elac Debut Reference DBR62 for my small office

softwaredeveloper

Hello All,

I was hoping someone could help me choose a configuration based on the equipment I could buy and the stuff I have access to already.

So I am pretty new to audio - I have a mix of kit I could receive soon, and I am not sure what to use. The goal of the setup was to upgrade my current speakers (built in ones from an LG C2 42inch TV) for music listening, youtube, and PC gaming. I tend to like whacking up the volume on the TV and just sit here listing to music for hours, but I find the sound very lacking at high volumes (~75-80db). I do have money to spend on this too: roughly £300-500, and some equipment is being bought for me / there is some freebees going.

This setup is for my office, and its rather small (full room is only 3.3m x 2m - and I am basically in a 1.6m x 2m corner part of the room). So I believe I wanted to go for a near-field type setup. I was going to go for the best 2.0 system I could afford / salvage - and if it lacked bass, I would pick up a sub eventually and run it inline between the amp and speakers.

After doing some research I thought I would purchase the following equipment / put it on the Christmas list:
- AMP: Aiyima A07
- Pre AMP: Aiyima T8 6N3
- Power Supply: 48V10A Switching PSU
- Speakers: Elac Debut Reference DBR62

However I had a friend surprise me with a Aiyima A07 amp recently as an early Christmas present, and its a little too late to send back - and I have the 48V10A power supply on its way to power the amp.

I haven't bought any speakers yet, I was going to wait until to buy a set of Elac Debut Reference DBR62 when I see a pair for sale used near me. (although I may just pay £500 for a new set from Amazon).

However while clearing out my parents loft, we found one of their old amps: DENON DRA-455 and they claim its in good working order, and they used to use it to power some really tall party speakers. From what I can tell, this amp is a lot more powerful than the A07, comes with built in power supply, and as it's dedicated hardware than chip based, so I assume it would be better.

They also had a set of speakers: TANNOY Mercury MX1 which they have never used, they were gifted them in 2009 and they have sat in the loft since - I think the previous owner bought them in 2004/5. They seem to get some really good reviews so perhaps I should use them over the Elac Debut Reference DBR62

From what I can tell, I would be better off with using their amp along with the preamp above to control it from my PC, its just a little big for the desk, so I would probably put my monitor ontop of it - and the speakers, while dated, may save me £300-500 but I am happy to spend the money if the speakers are really not going to be suited for the room. Pretty much all their equipment is as old as me lol! I was impressed it was clean considering I have almost never seen it used.

I'll leave some photos of the room, plus dimensions (I am mostly in the room on my own, but there is another desk for my missus) because perhaps I am going the wrong route entirely - the speakers will go on stands, on the left and right of the monitor and I will move the laptop to a dock below the desk:

room layout.png
office.jpeg

The whirring of the fan noise from the 48V PSU will probably be quite annoying in a small room where you can't really make the most of it volume wise.

Holmz

Major Contributor
  • You probably do not need the preamp as the A07 has a volume control.
    • stay away from the A07 Pro…
  • You probably do not need the power supply as it should be loud enough in that small space.

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As much as I like my A07/T6 Pro set up its no where near most if not all Denon stuff in terms of soundstage, height, stereo imaging and general room filling audio weight. Go for the Denon if you can, the Elacs are pricey and not really that highly rated so the Tannoys would be first choice here for me at least. If space is an issue you could look out for a 2nd hand Denon DM41, a superb little unit with a sub out.

MX1- Frequency response (Hz, -6dB): 55Hz -20kHz (+/- 3dB) Nominal impedance (ohm): 8 ohms Bass driver (description): 130mm (5") Tweeter (description): 25mm (1")

Last edited:

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Aiyima A07 with the 32v/5a supply should be plenty...it is very powerful, and your room is on the smaller side. I am currently using mine with a NAD 1020 preamp, but don't really need that for power, just for input control (and occasional tone control use).

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Aiyima A07 with the 32v/5a supply should be plenty...it is very powerful, and your room is on the smaller side. I am currently using mine with a NAD 1020 preamp, but don't really need that for power, just for input control (and occasional tone control use).
I was doing something similar using an Denon PMA720 AE as a pre amp to the A07, I really didnt need that much power but was more interested in the sound signature. It was not bad at all.

Top Bottom