• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which AMP/DAC should I get for AUDEZE LCD-X (2021)?

Hi,

I have recently bought an Audeze LCD-X (2021) headphones. I wanted to know what amp/DAC would be best to pair them with.

I have a budget of around USD 1,500 - 2,000.

Can go lower or slightly higher.

Thank you for your time.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Here's how much power the LCD-X needs according to Amir's measurements:
Screenshot_20221016-211044_Chrome.png

Quite frankly, it's peanuts. You couldn't even reasonably spend $1.5-2k without sliding into snake oil territory.
Something like the E30II+ L30II ($300 total) would already be decidedly overkill for your headphone. No extra dollar would make sense from a sound quality standpoint.

OP
Z
Here's how much power the LCD-X needs according to Amir's measurements:
View attachment 237412

Quite frankly, it's peanuts. You couldn't even reasonably spend $1.5-2k without sliding into snake oil territory.
Something like the E30II+ L30II ($300 total) would already be decidedly overkill for your headphone. No extra dollar would make sense from a sound quality standpoint.
Thank you for the measurements of the LCD-X and for letting me know about the E30II + L30II.

I’ll check some reviews as well but how’s the build quality of the E30II + L30II?

I’ve had some USB audio interfaces from popular brands break down on me and they were more expensive than $300 on their own.

charleski

Major Contributor
While @staticV3 is quite right, if you’re using an iPhone as a source it may be worth looking at the RME Adi-2 its built-in EQ. It costs quite a bit more than the Topping combo, but is still well within your budget. It may be worth thinking about getting a Wiim Mini as an airplay receiver (using the toslink out to the dac) so you don’t need to plug the phone into a cable each time.

Turambar

If you are not interested in MQA, the recommendations so far (Topping 30 II combo, RME Adi-2) are solid.

If you want to go the MQA route, then an SMSL M500 MKIII or similar will be fine.

OP
Z
While @staticV3 is quite right, if you’re using an iPhone as a source it may be worth looking at the RME Adi-2 its built-in EQ. It costs quite a bit more than the Topping combo, but is still well within your budget. It may be worth thinking about getting a Wiim Mini as an airplay receiver (using the toslink out to the dac) so you don’t need to plug the phone into a cable each time.
The RME Adi-2's built-in EQ is interesting as I have usually left everything flat because of "it's what the artist intended" mindset but may be fun to experiment with long term.

Dongles and adapters are annoying.

OP
Z
If you are not interested in MQA, the recommendations so far (Topping 30 II combo, RME Adi-2) are solid.

If you want to go the MQA route, then an SMSL M500 MKIII or similar will be fine.
The SMSL M500 MKIII looks slick.

metalist

curious what you ended up going with? I have LCD-X that is now my primary monitor for music production/mixing/mastering. Looking at DAC and headphone amp combo that will pair nicely.

OP
Z
curious what you ended up going with? I have LCD-X that is now my primary monitor for music production/mixing/mastering. Looking at DAC and headphone amp combo that will pair nicely.
I am currently waiting for the stores I usually go to to get new stock of amps/DAC’s to A/B before buying one.

The staff at the stores I go to generally discouraged me from purchasing audiophile gear for music production as audiophile gear tends to colour the sound. It’s great for listening and enjoying music but maybe not so great for making decisions.

At the moment I am using my Presonus Quantum 2626 audio interface for any music production. The LCD X is also easy to drive and the volume on the Quantum is around 10 O’ Clock so there’s plenty of room for more volume.

Top Bottom