• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Where to buy decent cables?

Digby

Major Contributor
Where does one get decent cables with XLR and 1/4" jack connectors? I would like something quite long, 15 or 20m if possible (from RME to speakers) and a silver colour would be somewhat compatible with the carpet.

Are cables much of a muchness? There are plenty of negative reviews of cables on Amazon, are they genuinely shoddy cables being sold or are people using the wrong cables, e.g stereo/balanced cables with mono only electric guitars, then complaining that they aren't compatible.

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
OK, could you say something regarding the second paragraph.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, could you say something regarding the second paragraph.
The main spec of a cable is mechanical. Amazon offers easy returns. Buy, if bad quality finish, return, buy another.

AudiOhm

There are good & bad reviews on every type of audio equipment regardless of price.

Ohms

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
Yes, that is true, but I would rather buy correctly the first time, than be testing and returning things - life is too short. I can't seem to find any cables longer than 10m that are 1/4" jack to XLR, or 1/4" to 1/4" on amazon at all, let alone those in a silver covering....somewhat tired of searching and scrolling tbh. In need of a shortcut.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, that is true, but I would rather buy correctly the first time, than be testing and returning things - life is too short. I can't seem to find any cables longer than 10m that are 1/4" jack to XLR, or 1/4" to 1/4" on amazon at all, let alone those in a silver covering....somewhat tired of searching and scrolling tbh. In need of a shortcut.

OP
D

Digby

Major Contributor
Thanks, but need somewhere UK based, shipping & taxes would be a killer.

jdfrakes

If your handy and into DIY you could build your own. You can get some Mogami cables and Neutrik ends then cover them in something like TecFlex or paracord for custom length cables. they wont be Amazon cheap but will be well below what most of the audiophile companies charge. If interested I can post some part numbers for you.

DSJR

Major Contributor
UK dealers generally make a small fortune on cable sales, so I'd look online myself to a vendor using known cables. I'd strongly echo Amazon - Worlds Best Cables may have something for you?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does UK amazon have World's Best cables. Those have good connectors (Neutrik or Amphenol), wire (mogami or Canare) and seem well made. A little more money for the convenience, but not too much at least in the USA side of things.

I've never had trouble with Monoprice either. Used quite a few of them.

Do you need XLR to TS or TRS ends? They make them both ways.

aschen

I really like the world's best cables from amazon as well, they are built very nicely and super reasonable priced in the US. A bit of a frivolity perhaps but worth it to me.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where does one get decent cables with XLR and 1/4" jack connectors? I would like something quite long, 15 or 20m if possible (from RME to speakers) and a silver colour would be somewhat compatible with the carpet.

Are cables much of a muchness? There are plenty of negative reviews of cables on Amazon, are they genuinely shoddy cables being sold or are people using the wrong cables, e.g stereo/balanced cables with mono only electric guitars, then complaining that they aren't compatible.
I bought my cables XLR at a local music store that deal is pro sound.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t understand why you can’t find XLR cables. The search phrase “XLR cable 10m” at Amazon app for UK come up with this at the top!

Edit: And here’s the XLR to 1/4” version, found by adding “1/4” to the phrase above.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought my cables XLR at a local music store that deal is pro sound.
As long as that isn't Guitar Centers. They sell a basic XLR cable that is the worst I've seen. The XLR's aren't quite to spec and most start losing connection after just a dozen or so uses. Don't even know why they sell such garbage. (or this was the case a few years ago, maybe it has changed).

Top Bottom