• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Where should I control volume for higher SNR?

• Thread starter Deleted member 9685
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 9685

Here's what I know.

Reducing software volume reduces signal without reducing noise.
Reducing DAC volume reduces signal without reducing noise.
Turning down volume knob on a power amplifier reduces signal and noise.

Is decreasing DAC volume as bad to SNR as decreasing software volume is?

Digital amplifiers have digital volume control. Does reducing digital volume reduce noise? For example, think LOXJIE A30.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
You have noise?

jasonhanjk

What DAC are you using?
If your source is noisy, dial down the knob at the amp will reduce it's noise.

Is decreasing DAC volume as bad to SNR as decreasing software volume is?
It depends. Newer DAC have analog gain at it's output. Reducing DAC volume may reduce it's output noise (depends whether manufacturer design it in).
If the DAC is purely digital volume, then DAC volume and software volume would be the same.

Digital amplifiers have digital volume control. Does reducing digital volume reduce noise? For example, think LOXJIE A30.
No, the absolute noise is the same. Which are dominant by the DAC or post DAC filter, etc.

OP
D

Deleted member 9685

No, the absolute noise is the same. Which are dominant by the DAC or post DAC filter, etc.

I read that LOXJIE A30's volume control chip modifies analogue signal. Thus, reducing digital volume on LOXJIE A30 may reduce noise, too.

egellings

Major Contributor
Adjust volume as near the end of the small signal chain as reasonably possible for best SNR.

jasonhanjk

I read that LOXJIE A30's volume control chip modifies analogue signal. Thus, reducing digital volume on LOXJIE A30 may reduce noise, too.

To correct your statement.
Changing the volume at the knob will reduce it's noise.

Digital volume are digital, they are not in the analog path.
If the manufacturer design in changing the analog gain when user varies the knob, then noise will reduce. See my 2nd paragraph.

Top Bottom