• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Where Have All the Serious Audiophiles Gone?

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anyone want one of these? Are you serious? More info here.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

StefaanE

Forum Donor
Why will they never learn?

win

i prefer putting a space heater next to a $35 class d lepai amp. sounds better anyway.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why buy that when for less money you can buy a pair of Carver 350s with more than twice the power, run way cooler and have a 40 year tube life?

StefaanE

Forum Donor
Why tubes? When I was talking a course on electronics design and construction back in 1969, we still had to design and build a mono tube amp before moving on to designing and building a four-transistor portable radio . I still remember soldering wires to the tube sockets — the result was a rat’s nest of wires despite my best efforts at making a clean design and implementation. Later I did a couple of power amps with 2N3055s, they were fun. But tubes....

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Serious audiophiles like the late and much lamented* Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg?

1597180873978.png

http://www.meta-gizmo.org/index.html

Oh, and on topic (?!?) ;)
I would really, truly like to think that serious audiophiles would really, truly prefer, if not expect, their vacuum tubes to glow orange (or bright white, if the filaments are thoriated tungstern) and not fricking green. :facepalm:

1597181035306.png

Money aside, that amp is likely going to fall under the same category of the mechanical watch analogy.
But even Mac doesn't make a mechanical amplifier, to the best of my knowledge.

:cool:

win

Why tubes? When I was talking a course on electronics design and construction back in 1969, we still had to design and build a mono tube amp before moving on to designing and building a four-transistor portable radio . I still remember soldering wires to the tube sockets — the result was a rat’s nest of wires despite my best efforts at making a clean design and implementation. Later I did a couple of power amps with 2N3055s, they were fun. But tubes....

might be blasphemous here, but there is something intrinsically neat about tubes. And they can sound good too. I just wouldn't want to be stuck with a $12,000 amp that has distortion by design. Much rather get a clean amp and do that stuff in the pre-stage. Then it's optional.

win

OP - did you see this link, from Hypebeast, on your Google feed per chance? I just did last night. It's starting to feel like Google is in control of a deterministic world.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Nice...black, silver, green and gold. It looks like the perfect vaccine.

Last edited:

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They died. :p

- Rich

Archsam

You mean audiophile like this fella?
I think in order to join the club, you need to put in a hefty price for entry just like this guy, and this isn't something you are going to replace with a 'cheap' integrated amp :p

Tip: you can turn on the English caption on youtube if you don't speak cantonese.

Edit: ok the subtitle is crap, only [Music] - seriously??

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You mean audiophile like this fella?
I think in order to join the club, you need to put in a hefty price for entry just like this guy, and this isn't something you are going to replace with a 'cheap' integrated amp :p

I can imagine that fine china in the background rattling and buzzing away when those fine looking speakers are wound up. :D (In Canada we simply call this fine porcelain "China.")

Archsam

I can imagine that fine china in the background rattling and buzzing away when those fine looking speakers are wound up. :D

There's a really funny follow up video when the host revisited this apartment and fooled around with the DSP module (which the owner never used), because the glass facade to the left is creating all sorts of funny reflections, and according to the owner, the system never sounded SOTA :facepalm:

OP
VMAT4

VMAT4

Forum Donor
OP - did you see this link, from Hypebeast, on your Google feed per chance? I just did last night. It's starting to feel like Google is in control of a deterministic world.

Not last night, just this afternoon.

Top Bottom