• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Where do you guys get your binaural recordings?

LEIYINAUDIO

I found that binaural recordings are really natural and pleasant to listen to. Actually telling the locations the sound, feeling the layers and space, it's like actually sitting there with the sounds. (Also now I think people reviewing headphones and saying how they perceive the space, width, height, depth of the stage etc, gimme a break, recording it self doesn't have concepts of such information, it is just the effects of tuning the headphone differently)
So I really would appreciate if you guys could share where do you get your high-resolution binaural recordings.

charleski

Major Contributor
I’ve never found binaural recordings to be particularly different to other miking techniques. The best source is probably Chesky, but I suspect you know that label already. If you want something different to jazzy stuff they record, Lou Reed went through a binaural phase: ‘Street Hassle’, ‘The Bells’, and ‘Take No Prisoners Live’ are all binaurally recorded.

OP
L

LEIYINAUDIO

I’ve never found binaural recordings to be particularly different to other miking techniques. The best source is probably Chesky, but I suspect you know that label already. If you want something different to jazzy stuff they record, Lou Reed went through a binaural phase: ‘Street Hassle’, ‘The Bells’, and ‘Take No Prisoners Live’ are all binaurally recorded.
Thanks, I'll definitely check these.

Spotted Sounds

Hey Leyin,

I recently started a project where I film musicians. They take us to a spot around their city and I record them (in binaural audio) so it will sound like you are there with them and they are playing specially for you. I hope you enjoy it!

If you like it, please like and share and leave a comment.

Cheers! ✌

EB1000

On Spotify, Tidal and Deezer you can find Sony's 360 reality audio, which is basically the same. Music intended for headphones.

This is slightly off topic, but I always wondered why neither Dolby nor DTS never offered a binaural surround decoder/upmixer, to allow binaural recordings to be played on a 5.1.4 surround system without headphones. I tried using DSU or DTS Neural X to decode binaural audio, but the panning was wrong.

Honestly, while I know how to encode 5.1 content onto 2.0 channels, I have no idea how to encode sounds so they will be panned to the heights speakers. To pan sounds to the left surround, you can simply apply phase difference plus level difference, but how do you pan the sounds to the immersive channels?

OP
L

LEIYINAUDIO

Hey Leyin,

I recently started a project where I film musicians. They take us to a spot around their city and I record them (in binaural audio) so it will sound like you are there with them and they are playing specially for you. I hope you enjoy it!

Cheers! ✌
Thank! That is really beautiful.

Red@

On Spotify, Tidal and Deezer you can find Sony's 360 reality audio, which is basically the same. Music intended for headphones.

This is slightly off topic, but I always wondered why neither Dolby nor DTS never offered a binaural surround decoder/upmixer, to allow binaural recordings to be played on a 5.1.4 surround system without headphones. I tried using DSU or DTS Neural X to decode binaural audio, but the panning was wrong.

Honestly, while I know how to encode 5.1 content onto 2.0 channels, I have no idea how to encode sounds so they will be panned to the heights speakers. To pan sounds to the left surround, you can simply apply phase difference plus level difference, but how do you pan the sounds to the immersive channels?
Dolby atmos for headphones that Apple music proposes are sort of binaural (unlike the real dolby atmos)

fun

Dolby atmos for headphones that Apple music proposes are sort of binaural (unlike the real dolby atmos)
I sampled a few Dolby Atmos tracks using Airpod Pro Max at Apple store recently. Yesterday I tried out some binaural recordings on Spotify, and listening to Sony 360 music now on Spotify. I think they all provide similar 3D imaging and spacious feel to the music. While I enjoy them, the soundstage still feel unnatural centering around my head. While every track are different, and purely based on memory, in terms of 3D imaging & spaciousness, I would rank Dolby Atmos > Binaural > Sony 360. Will sample more and see.

the_brunx

One of the best binaural recording ever (For headphones), most people already know it.

Reactions: RHO

TheHighContemplator

Hey Leyin,

Cheers! ✌
I subscribed. I'll check out your other videos in the near future.

Cheers!

Durnik

Try Amber Rubarth - Seasons from the 17th ward. This is a good example of a musical binaural recording. In YouTube you can find pretty decent simulations using Queen's (and other bands) songs.

Porkermon

Hi guys, Anyone here using the sennheiser ambeo headset ? I got these for the iPhone and i had tough time using it in windy condition. Absolutely horrible even with a bit of wind while cycling .

This was my first recording

Next i attached few pieces sponge from a Dish washing sponge with paper tape and wore a wool beenie above it making sure to cover my ears, The sound is very much better here . the small clicks you hear are of the tape rubbing against the beenie. Perhaps using cellophane tape or rubber insulation tape could eliminate this issue.

RHO

Major Contributor
The 3D effect on the second is is actually great. I never had this big sound scape with my K371s before. Going to try it with my Sundaras next.

Edit: the front stage actually works best with the K371. I tried the Sundaras and DCA Aeon RT closed. Maybe its the difference between dynamic drivers and planars? Both planars put the fron image too close, where the K371 did a better job. Also sideways the K371 was a little wider. The back image was a draw between all, but surprisingly good. :)

Last edited:

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
I was happy to find this album on Tidal. It was originally released in 1995 under the title "Lob der Orgel" by the Abadone label. The label was owned by the person who distributed Stax headphones in Germany at the time (Hans-W. Steickart), and these CDs were sometimes included with a Stax headphone as an insert. They made some great dummy head recordings.

Top Bottom