• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Where can I find the book value of my used gear

Jerry Sobel

Forum Donor
As I go forth with my own personal ASR revolution/evolution and sell some of my overly hyped high end gear I need a resource for figuring out what my used gear is worth. Any recommendations?

I have a pair of Pass Labs XA 100.5 mono blocks 100 watts per channel I want to sell. Also my Ayon S-5. I have has the Ayon S-5 on Audiogon twice and not even one inquiry.

Thoughts, comments, opinions

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Here's an XA-100 with interest (folks went to the trouble to watch)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pass-Labs-XA-100-monoblocks-Class-A-in-Excellent-condition/122972296458?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20131017132637&meid=e9f586058ad548b288cbd2e96e8e7a09&pid=100033&rk=1&rkt=3&sd=122972296458&itm=122972296458&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

I don't see any history.

Audiogon (?) has a "Blue Book" if you want to pay a little for their past data.

I suppose you could put it up for bid on eBay (with a high reserve) and go fishing.

You can also take all this as "I don't know."

My pre and amps and equitech were eBay purchases. Along with lots of CDs.

OP
Jerry Sobel

Jerry Sobel

Forum Donor
Here's an XA-100 with interest (folks went to the trouble to watch)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pass-Labs-XA-100-monoblocks-Class-A-in-Excellent-condition/122972296458?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20131017132637&meid=e9f586058ad548b288cbd2e96e8e7a09&pid=100033&rk=1&rkt=3&sd=122972296458&itm=122972296458&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

I don't see any history.

Audiogon (?) has a "Blue Book" if you want to pay a little for their past data.

I suppose you could put it up for bid on eBay (with a high reserve) and go fishing.

You can also take all this as "I don't know."

My pre and amps and equitech were eBay purchases. Along with lots of CDs.
Older model than mine. I will pay Audiogon

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
When I sell stuff on audiogon, I sometimes take a screenshot of the blue book value and post it as a photo to the audiogon ad. I think it helps keep the low ballers at bay a little.

OP
Jerry Sobel

Jerry Sobel

Forum Donor
When I sell stuff on audiogon, I sometimes take a screenshot of the blue book value and post it as a photo to the audiogon ad. I think it helps keep the low ballers at bay a little.
Excellent idea

garbulky

Major Contributor
Used gear takes large dives on price. What are you going to replace your gear with? Not to dampen your evolution, but I would caution you with expecting the gear you replace it with to be its equal unless you have heard it yourself and see that to be the case. I know a guy that does that many times - he doesn't like the clutter of expensive separates. In the end he usually always ends up unsatisfied and goes back to buying the gear that he liked in the first place.

Emotiva forums also has a place to list gear called the emporium and so does Klipsch I believe

Last edited:

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Post it right here, let the members make you an offer, decent offers by decent members. Pass Labs is solid audio engineering, good value.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Used gear takes large dives on price. What are you going to replace your gear with? Not to dampen your evolution, but I would caution you with expecting the gear you replace it with to be its equal unless you have heard it yourself and see that to be the case. I know a guy that does that many times - he doesn't like the clutter of expensive separates. In the end he usually always ends up unsatisfied and goes back to buying the gear that he liked in the first place.
I used to think this way. I’ve reached escape velocity and have exited the trappings of judging gear based on the price. High end audio is very similar to high end fashion in terms to performance.

These days, it’s very easy to sell “high end” gear and replace it with less expensive gear that outperforms it.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Unfortunately there’s only one legit place to sell high end audio gear. That’s audiogon. I wouldn’t spend any money listing anywhere else. I’m not endorsing Agon. But it’s the only option. All other options are useless and potentially dangerous.

garbulky

Major Contributor
I used to think this way. I’ve reached escape velocity and have exited the trappings of judging gear based on the price. High end audio is very similar to high end fashion in terms to performance.

These days, it’s very easy to sell “high end” gear and replace it with less expensive gear that outperforms it.
You aren't kidding. I've heard some of the high end and I am not impressed. Pass Labs though is another matter.
I have listened to a few systems that were all high dollar and I was very surprised that I preferred some much lower priced gear. Don't even get me started on Hegel. What a waste.

In the end, I think despite what measurements and logical intepretations of measurements have to say, if you yourself like or don't like it, will mean the difference. You can have gear that says its flawless but if you end up hating the sound, then you hate the sound.

If you buy some magic crystal or a special spell for good sound and suddenly the sound is great for you, then that magic crystal was worth it - whether it actually made a difference or not. At least that's how I see it. Telling yourself there's no difference but still hating the sound, well that's just a miserable self-defeating endeavor. Saving money by investing in wise lower cost solutions and loving the sound, well that's a win-win.

My old V8 car isn't actually any faster than some el cheapo cars on the market. Some can outpace it because of their lightness. But I love the sound and the feel of the engine response, and the torque it produces so my experience is that it's way better.

Last edited:
OP
Jerry Sobel

Jerry Sobel

Forum Donor
I am very impressed with Benchmark. There DAC 3 DX is great. I just got it and the sound is better than much more expensive stuff I just sold.

I have enjoyed my Pass Labs amps very much. I want to try the Benchmark amps. They have a 30 day trial on all gear. If I like them better than the Pass Labs then I will sell them. If not, I will send back the Benchmarks. I have a feeling I will like them.
One thing that I don't care for with my Pass amps is that the bottom end is a bit muddy. That is the only way I can describe it.

I will only sell on Audiogon. I sold my Ayon S-5 today. The price was much lower than book value but what is something really worth? I got two good years out of it.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Sell the hype . . .buy the truth.

Benchmark is great about their return policy. I ordered a second pair of AHB2 because I thought I needed the additional 6db of gain in bridged mode for all drivers in my active setup. After they were shipped to me, I made some adjustments to my target curve and quickly realized that I didn’t need the extra gain after all. They let me return the amps. I didn’t even pay for shipping and they promptly refunded the full amount I paid back to my card.

This is how things should be, but rarely are.

OP
Jerry Sobel

Jerry Sobel

Forum Donor
Wow. They paid the shipping?

Dallas do the amps accept spades on the binding posts? My current bi wire speaker cables have spades on one end because Pass Labs only makes amps for spades. They claim it has something to do with safety.

luft262

I'm just curious, but at what price point do you consider audio products to be "high end?"

Top Bottom