• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Where can I find the book value of my used gear

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a pair of Pass Labs XA 100.5 mono blocks 100 watts per channel I want to sell. Also my Ayon S-5. I have has the Ayon S-5 on Audiogon twice and not even one inquiry.

Thoughts, comments, opinions

I think you will generate significantly more interest from posting the Pass amps. Their appeal is broad and brand recognition is immediate.

Your experience with the Ayon is a cautionary tale about expensive computer audio.

https://www.hifishark.com/model/pass-labs-xa-100-5

https://www.shoppok.com/reading/a,49,177065,Pass-Labs-XA-100-5-Amps-Pair----4300.htm

luft262

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Book price is nothing more than current market value. The best place to get current market value (both still for sale and recently sold) is hifishark.com
Its great that you can sort by region since prices vary widely depending upon where you are.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately there’s only one legit place to sell high end audio gear. That’s audiogon. I wouldn’t spend any money listing anywhere else. I’m not endorsing Agon. But it’s the only option. All other options are useless and potentially dangerous.

Why do you not include using an Amazon seller account?

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If anyone needs bluebook info feel free to ask. I have full access to the database due to having subscribed to Audiogon for a single month. I believe its a bug of some sort, because I have always had full access to the data base despite not continuing to be subscribed to the service...

luft262

If anyone needs bluebook info feel free to ask. I have full access to the database due to having subscribed to Audiogon for a single month. I believe its a bug of some sort, because I have always had full access to the data base despite not continuing to be subscribed to the service...

Wow, that's cool. What value do they put on Focal Aria 926 speakers? Thanks!

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
Wow, that's cool. What value do they put on Focal Aria 926 speakers? Thanks!
I'm not convinced this is extremely useful at least for this particular speaker since there's only 7 data points for the result.

1621273258712.png

luft262

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How about a Sonic Frontiers Line One pre-amp?

and an Audio Research LS-25 Mk II pre-amp?

Thanks!

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
How about Hsu VTF-15H subwoofer? Thanks!

1621280553806.png

How about a Sonic Frontiers Line One pre-amp?

and an Audio Research LS-25 Mk II pre-amp?

Thanks!
1621280590893.png

1621280610564.png

Here you go guys. I don't mind looking up prices for other stuff as I find it quite interesting. I'll check back every few days for requests and leave a big quote post. What I find most interesting is that bluebook lists the MSRP and a lot of this equipment has pretty secretive pricing. I can find MSRP's for stuff from Accuphase and FM Acoustics.

possumtaters

Just use Hifishark to see for what prices items are selling, or at least listed.

https://www.hifishark.com/

Filter by your county and then review the current listings. Click on the expired tab to review the sold/expired listings. Unless someone is selling something for a great price expect that the item sold for 85-90% of the listing price. This is just based on my experience buying and selling second-hand audio gear.

luft262

View attachment 130295

View attachment 130296
View attachment 130297

Here you go guys. I don't mind looking up prices for other stuff as I find it quite interesting. I'll check back every few days for requests and leave a big quote post. What I find most interesting is that bluebook lists the MSRP and a lot of this equipment has pretty secretive pricing. I can find MSRP's for stuff from Accuphase and FM Acoustics.

What's your opinion on condition? If you have a local seller and you go to his house and get to demo the speakers, listen to music, play test tones, etc. and it sounds great, but there is a chip or even a chip or two on the cabinet. For example, let's say it's nothing major. Nothing that most people are going to notice unless they get up close and inspect it. How much does that affect value? It seems to me that as a very rough general rule most hi-end speakers and current electronics are going to be worth about half of their current retail price. We could say 40-60%.

Do you feel like that's a roughly accurate assumption and how much do you think condition will play into that. For example, will a mint condition speaker be worth roughly 60% retail, whereas one with some cosmetic blemishes closer to 40%. Or am I missing something?

Thank you for your experience on the matter.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you feel like that's a roughly accurate assumption and how much do you think condition will play into that. For example, will a mint condition speaker be worth roughly 60% retail, whereas one with some cosmetic blemishes closer to 40%. Or am I missing something?

There's two types of items sold through Audiogon:

Rarities that last a day and sell at the asking price.

Lures for the bottom feeders that generate endless requests for more detail, tedious negotiation on price, offers of worthless broken gear in trade and an eventual announcement that something suitable was found at a local vendor.

I much prefer Reverb.

Top Bottom