• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Where are the speaker reviews?

BillG

Major Contributor
Of those 100 speakers how many are less than $1,000. a pair.
It’s like subscribing to Road and Track to read econoboxes test reports.
I’m just saying ‍♂️

Which I think is fantastic because what we're finding is that one doesn't really need to spend more to obtain high fidelity reproduction. It completely destroys what high end audio, and numerous audiophiles as well, have been promoting as essential for the last decade or so.

Money snobbery is the worst and just feeds our already rampant capitalist greed. The democratization of high fidelity audio is the best thing that could have happened to this hobby from a consumer perspective.

OP
Vintage57

Vintage57

Forum Donor
Which I think is fantastic because what we're finding is that one doesn't really need to spend more to obtain high fidelity reproduction. It completely destroys what high end audio, and numerous audiophiles as well, have been promoting as essential for the last decade or so.

Money snobbery is the worst and just feeds our already rampant capitalist greed. The democratization of high fidelity audio is the best thing that could have happened to this hobby from a consumer perspective.

Politics in audio, yuck!

"Minimalist are under achievers"

Last edited:
OP
Vintage57

Vintage57

Forum Donor
Despite driving a minivan, I do like cars. I've even been inside a Ferrari pit garage on race weekend.

Hard to describe or reproduce the sound of the Formula 1 experience, especially during the naturally aspirated era.

Universal Cereal Bus

Hard to describe or reproduce the sound of the Formula 1 experience, especially during the naturally aspirated era.
This was either 2001 or 2002. So, V10 era.
tqx6xaj81sr51.jpg

^just imagine that is Ross Brawn^

Last edited:

sfdoddsy

I must be glossing over due to the lack of interest in what is being reviewed.
My mistake I thought we were going to verify a variety from the Stereophile type of recommended speakers. From $200 a pair to $20,000 and verify or challenge the law of diminishing returns.

My bad.

I don’t think you need to verify the Stereophile recommended speakers. Most their weighting is subjective and the measurements JA does (ditto Soundstage NRC, Audioholics, Erin and the Napster) tend to corroborate each other.

So Amir measuring the D&D 8c is kind of pointless unless you believe all the other well-done measurements are collectively wrong.

I like to see measurements of speakers no-one else has explored. More Absolute Sound and What HiFi than Stereophile.

The recent review of the Ascend Luna is a good example. As are the reviews of pro monitors.

As for getting the speakers, Stereophile gets them from the manufacturer.

Amir relies on buying cheapies, or loans.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As a matter of interest I took my Tandy sound level meter to a test once (over 25 years ago) to measure how loud it got in the garage, V10 Honda.
It went immediately to the full scale end stop with the meter set on the 120dB range with the engine idling in the garage. So >126dB.
No wonder we all needed ear defenders, though when I started in the 1970s before ear defenders were around in F1 it was considered unmanly to put your fingers in your ears - the stupidity of macho peer pressure :facepalm:.

The thing that limits my interest in the speaker reviews so far published is they are almost all small speakers suited to near field listening and/or of limited loudness capability.

IME most speakers start sounding "loud" because of distortion way before they are actually at a volume level appropriate to a live music venue, and I mean some can get to the level of a good singer and piano with no amplification, just, nowhere near a big ensemble ⅓ the way down the auditorium and a lifetime away from a rock concert, though that is probably just as well - another place where ear defenders are needed...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I also wish more high end floor standing speakers were tested. In a few years ASR will be the king of sub-2k usd bookshelf speakers, with like hundreds of them tested.

But I understand the limitations involved and honestly I don't know a way around it, so we get what we get until then.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also wish more high end floor standing speakers were tested.
A $16K one will be reviewed.

And for those asking about diminishing returns:
1604404995845.png

1604405019906.png

Stereophile gets super expensive models because the focus is more on the subjective review aspect, which is almost never negative; and even for the measurement aspect whether it be speakers or DACs, John Atkinson is rarely negative.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A $16K one will be reviewed.

Stereophile gets super expensive models because the focus is more on the subjective review aspect, which is almost never negative; and even for the measurement aspect whether it be speakers or DACS, John Atkinson is rarely negative.

Still 1 among many in the market.

For me ideally there should be ~30% of the reviews of floorstanding speakers around 3k to 15k usd. Sooo many interesting options in this range to be analyzed! But I also see the value of the bulk of the tests being small and affordable bookshelf speakers.
Again this is wishful thinking. I don't know how to make it work. :(

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Still 1 among many in the market.

For me ideally there should be ~30% of the reviews of floorstanding speakers around 3k to 15k usd. Sooo many interesting options in this range to be analyzed! But I also see the value of the bulk of the tests being small and affordable bookshelf speakers.
Again this is wishful thinking. I don't know how to make it work. :(
  1. Round up a bunch of owners of speakers in that price range and have them ship them to Amir to measure. Along with some help to move them around.
  2. Donate $100k or so then he can purchase a few pair to measure and hire help to move them around.
:)

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Just another stat to add to the barrel: Amir's done around 650 electronics reviews on top of the 100 or so speaker reviews.

Homework: How many Stereophile issues does it take to hit 750 reviews?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Donate $100k or so then he can purchase a few pair to measure and hire help to move them around.
:)

Hahahaha more like 1M usd to have sufficient floorstanding speakers to balance the flood of bookshelf ones! :D

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Hahahaha more like 1M usd to have sufficient floorstanding speakers to balance the flood of bookshelf ones! :D
$2m to build an elevator/conveyor to move them for him:)

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was just kidding. I haven't even started the review process yet.
Well you made me look.
Will be very interesting to see their directivity expressed by your magic globes.

Top Bottom