• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Where are the Chinese phono cartridges? I'm tired of snake oil and ridiculous pricing

JP

Major Contributor
Is there a technical reason why MC cartridges don't have a replaceable stylus?

Moving coil: the coil is attached to the cantilever.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
don't last any longer than any other profile

mmm ... ok, everyone believe in what they want to believe ... even against data.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Moving coil: the coil is attached to the cantilever.
The Ortofon website shows a picture. The magnet (or moving iron) is attached too but it's obviously cheaper and you don't have to disconnect/re-connect any electrical connections when changing it.

JP

Major Contributor
IME over 30 plus years fine lines don't last any longer than any other profile - as said by JP above they are consistent then fall off a cliff.

You misinterpreted what I said. Lifespan increases as the profile becomes more advanced, with line contacts being the most resilient due to the "fin" design.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
mmm ... ok, everyone believe in what they want to believe ... even against data.
what data? it better not be from the manufacturers. Unless it is Nagaoka who are about the only ones who are honest about stylus life.

But if there is reliable data then I will hold my hands up.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Is there a technical reason why MC cartridges don't have a replaceable stylus?
Some used to have, but it was rather silly. Almost like replacing the entire cart. Removing the stylus would leave you with a small piece of plastic attached to the headshell with absolutely nothing inside:
1673295650448.png

mike70

what data? it better not be from the manufacturers. Unless it is Nagaoka who are about the only ones who are honest about stylus life.

But if there is reliable data then I will hold my hands up.

nagaoka have only line contact stylus in one cartridge (the mp500) ... all the other cartridges are elliptical .. and they don't have shibata or microline models.
so, what they say is true, because their line is almost totally elliptical

line contact stylus have much more area in contact with the groove, with better tracking and less pressure by area unit, with less wear.
people, we're in a science forum ... if you don't want to believe to the 1000 hours from AT / Ortofono, is ok, but line contact it isn't the same as elliptical.

shibata, as an example, was created to read 45Khz frequencies in CD-4 vinyl records, an elliptical stylus cannot dream to track that grooves.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

dr0ss

don't forget the time domain ... error correction have limits, after that, if you miss some data ... that is not equals to the source.

As Mart68 points out, if an error in a CD doesn't correct you'll get dropouts, which don't require golden ears to hear. If sound from a CD player is gradually deteriorating, it is certainly from the analogue end of the player.

Back when lasers were expensive and CD players went out of alignment the day after the warranty expired I used to think that this was the advantage of LPs, that they weren't so delicate and pricey to maintain. Now I'm not so sure.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
nagaoka have only line contact stylus in one cartridge (the mp500) ... all the other cartridges are elliptical .. and they don't have shibata or microline models.
so, what they say is true, because their line is almost totally elliptical

line contact stylus have much more area in contact with the groove, with better tracking and less pressure by area unit, with less wear.
people, we're in a science forum ... if you don't want to believe to the 1000 hours from AT / Ortofono, is ok, but line contact it isn't the same as elliptical.

shibata, as an example, was created to read 45Khz frequencies in CD-4 vinyl records, an elliptical stylus cannot dream to track that grooves.
So no data then? I've had the whole Nagaoka range over the years and still have an MP500 and an MP110. The MP500 did not last any longer, at least not appreciably. Nagaoka do not claim it will last longer than their other tips either.

mike70

So no data then? I've had the whole Nagaoka range over the years and still have an MP500 and an MP110. The MP500 did not last any longer, at least not appreciably. Nagaoka do not claim it will last longer than their other tips either.

So, you must be right

mike70

Sumiko is other brand that goes into the AT / Ortofon recommendation

https://sumikophonocartridges.com/turntable-stylus/

Surely is very hard to make a "closed" recomendation, because alignment, VTF, cleaning, antiskating, etc etc ... there're many factors that affects the stylus lifespan ... and also different standards. From what i know, Nagaoka numbers comes from a 3% deviation at 15Khz. That's "ironly" secure, but maybe a little extreme if you take good care about your analog system.

What i do? i replace my microline styluses every 2 years, based on my vinyl listening habits ... that's between 800 - 1000 hours. When i use the replacement i cannot hear any difference.

that's a "good method" ... buy the replacement and test it changing the stylus at 500, 700, ... hours and check it out. Or do it at 500 hours anyway, we can't discuss that a safest condition ... is a safest condition.

So, is not to start a "flame war" with this, is best to share our experiences and enjoy our hobby.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
As Mart68 points out, if an error in a CD doesn't correct you'll get dropouts, which don't require golden ears to hear. If sound from a CD player is gradually deteriorating, it is certainly from the analogue end of the player.

This is just totally incorrect.

Error correction is either mathematically perfect or not. If the burst errors cannot be completely corrected, the device moves to linear interpolation. Interpolation can range from completely inaudible (most of the time), to somewhat imperfect. Many CD interpolation algorithms also HPF during interpolation to reduce audible HF glitches.

Once you hear dropouts, you are well past error correction and interpolation and into the ramp up/down muting which has been present in the CD format since day one.

The analogue stages of CD players have been pretty much beyond reproach from 1982.

mike70

This is just totally incorrect.

Error correction is either mathematically perfect or not. If the burst errors cannot be completely corrected, the device moves to linear interpolation. Interpolation can range from completely inaudible (most of the time), to somewhat imperfect. Many CD interpolation algorithms also HPF during interpolation to reduce audible HF glitches.

Once you hear dropouts, you are well past error correction and interpolation and into the ramp up/down muting which has been present in the CD format since day one.

The analogue stages of CD players have been pretty much beyond reproach from 1982.

I'm TI engineer and I studied data communication and error correction... I agree 100% with you, but I don't wanted to discuss profoundly to generate bad situations. As I said before, everyone have the right to believe what they want.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Some used to have, but it was rather silly. Almost like replacing the entire cart. Removing the stylus would leave you with a small piece of plastic attached to the headshell with absolutely nothing inside:
there is or are magnet(s) in there...

Top Bottom