• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Where are the Chinese phono cartridges? I'm tired of snake oil and ridiculous pricing

dr0ss

Hmm...well, if we're going to start throwing around credentials (an exercise I'm not generally fond of), I guess I should point out that I am a mathematics professor at a major American university, and that while my main research area is not the theory of error correcting codes, I have on occasion taught courses in the subject. To engineers.

Upthread a comparison was drawn between the degradation of a stylus due to wear, in which distortion might gradually increase with time or plays, and the degradation of a CD player due to gradual laser misalignment. I believe they are not at all comparable. If a packet of data in a CD is missing enough bits that it does not decode, it can't be approximately decoded. The error-correction algorithm doesn't give values over the weeks or months that are less and less correct. A given player might use a strategy to replace missing packets, either by resampling or perhaps by interpolating the value between neighboring time readings, but if a laser is degrading over time to the point where you are getting a significant number of misreadings, then the player will simply fail.

In practice I've never owned a CD player that failed gradually in this way. Some of my players got worse by virtue of refusing to read some CDs, and shortly after that they generally refused to read all CDs. They didn't just gradually distort more and more. And if I had one that did that, I would certainly not suspect the digital side, pace restorer-john.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you ever seen these cartridges being sold in China? Ortofon 2M series

Ortofon is expensive wherever you live. China is no exception. Can buy locally cheaper than Ali sells them. On the other hand, the MC cartridges which appear to be made in China are 'price friendly', compared to the usual Japanese thing. Sound? But who will be the first to buy one in order to find out?

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ortofon is expensive wherever you live. China is no exception. Can buy locally cheaper than Ali sells them. On the other hand, the MC cartridges which appear to be made in China are 'price friendly', compared to the usual Japanese thing. Sound? But who will be the first to buy one in order to find out?
It may be of little consolation, but
I know a US re-tipper who offered to retip my 2M Blue versus replacing with a packaged stylus. The price was $180 instead of $197 off Amazon - no savings when shipping was included. The upside was I could move to a more advanced stylus profile (fine line, microridge) for less than a Bronze or Black replacement stylus.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It may be of little consolation, but
I know a US re-tipper who offered to retip my 2M Blue versus replacing with a packaged stylus. The price was $180 instead of $197 off Amazon - no savings when shipping was included. The upside was I could move to a more advanced stylus profile (fine line, microridge) for less than a Bronze or Black replacement stylus.

change to audio technica ... best price / performance today.
you can buy the vm95ml (microlinear) cartridge (complete with stylus) for 170 USD ... or the vm540ml (also microline with some internal motor improvements) for 240 USD.

there's no better deal.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

There are a couple of sellers on ebay who offer 'retipping'. I had a Denon DL160 retip by one of them, and it seems OK. I have no way of measuring, and don't have a microscope to look closely. YMMV.

I haven't an idea how one gains the skill to retip a phono cartridge, or rebuild a MC if that is required. Orbray Japan (what was once Adamant/Namiki) sells ground diamonds in various shapes, along with cantilevers. I guess these are 'drop in' if you know how and where to drop them.

For MM, Jico offers ready made replacements for many now discontinued brands. I've read good things about them, but have no first hand experience with their products.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
change to audio technica ... best price / performance today.
you can buy the vm95ml (microlinear) cartridge (complete with stylus) for 170 USD ... or the vm540ml (also microline with some internal motor improvements) for 240 USD.

there's no better deal.
Absolutely agree with this.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are a couple of sellers on ebay who offer 'retipping'. I had a Denon DL160 retip by one of them, and it seems OK. I have no way of measuring, and don't have a microscope to look closely. YMMV.

I haven't an idea how one gains the skill to retip a phono cartridge, or rebuild a MC if that is required. Orbray Japan (what was once Adamant/Namiki) sells ground diamonds in various shapes, along with cantilevers. I guess these are 'drop in' if you know how and where to drop them.

For MM, Jico offers ready made replacements for many now discontinued brands. I've read good things about them, but have no first hand experience with their products.

I’ve had two cartridges retipped by VAS in New Jersey. Steve did an excellent job with both my Hanas with a fairly quick turnaround. He does use pre-made stylus/cantilever assemblies. The carts came back good as new.

JICO largely makes replacement assemblies for MM cartridges. VAS does both MM and MC cartridges.

Top Bottom