• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Where are all the dedicated streamer reviews?

navin

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I expect upgrading of the power supply (of the Audiophonics EVO-SABRE DAC Kit) especially for the DAC to make a bigger difference.
If it makes a measurable difference it'll show they cocked up the design of the on-board regulation.
Look at the photos - the back panel is labeled HDMI not I2S, and the top-off photo shows it's an extension cable to one of the Pi's HDMI type D connectors.

rcstevensonaz

Look at the photos - the back panel is labeled HDMI not I2S, and the top-off photo shows it's an extension cable to one of the Pi's HDMI type D connectors.

If that is similar to the Allo design, the HDMI is so you can attach a monitor screen while you are booting and installing the software or as a display once it is running. This is essentially a PC that you load software onto, rather than an embedded device such as the Cambridge Audio. I am pretty sure there is no I2S interface on the Audiophonics system. Based on the pictures, it just has USB and S/PDIF (optical, coax) for inputs plus LAN, and RCA/XLR for outputs.

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
If that is similar to the Allo design, the HDMI is so you can attach a monitor screen while you are booting and installing the software. This is essentially a PC that you load software onto, rather than an embedded device such as the Cambridge Audio. I am pretty sure there is no I2S interface on the Audiophonics system. Based on the pictures, it just has USB and S/PDIF (optical, coax) for inputs plus LAN, and RCA/XLR for outputs.
Perhaps I wasn't clear - the HDMI port on the back panel is there so you can connect an HDMI display like a TV or monitor to the Pi. The board does have I2S on the internal RPi GPIO header so the Pi can play audio through the DAC. The drivers for this have been included in the Pi kernel since version 4.19.34, so it should work with any recent version of the various OS options for the Pi. This is all on the product page linked previously.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My understanding of this thread was that it was about dedicated audio streamers. It is of course good to have a digital output so that can be used when it is to be connected for instance to an AVR, but products like for instance the Auralic streamer mentioned in this thread is obviously marketed towards people with high end hifi systems, who are just as likely to connect it to a traditional stereo amplifier, thus needing a DAC in addition to the streamer. So it should have a DAC and analog outputs onboard. In the same way a CD transport without a dac makes little sense, so does a dedicated audio streaming device without a DAC make little sense (to me at least). :) It's a product that tries to make money out of the fact that some people believe that an external, 5,000USD dac will improve the sound.

Streaming products that are in essence a pre-amplifier with streaming capabilities (having both analog and digital inputs and outputs) makes more sense to me, and are immensly more versatile than a pure streamer.

Whouaw, though not provocative, your post led to numerous reactions and couple of pages. I agree with everyone else here and there and disagree with you.
The streamer itself is not in view to enhance SQ.
I'm looking for a streamer with HDMI out in order to have a visual device connected to it.
I need it to be independent and rather cheap. NO dac, which is the expensive part that evolve and change very quickly !
No preamp either, I leave this to the dac or a dedicated on it's own if improving (or not degrading) the SQ.

I need a streamer to replace a computer or a NAS.

In substance a streamer that replaces a CD transport ;)

rcstevensonaz

I'm looking for a streamer with HDMI out in order to have a visual device connected to it.
This is a helpful clarification. I think most people (myself included) thought you wanted HDMI as a media output (video, audio). The HDMI port on the Audiophonics and the Allo (i.e. Raspberry Pi-based devices) is able to be used as a visual display for the server.

I need it to be independent and rather cheap.
There are plenty of independent and cheap systems available. They key questions are:
  1. Do you want a DIY or a "device" that you just plug in?
  2. What digital output format(s) do you need -- e.g. S/PDIF (optical or coax), AES, I2S, USB, HDMI (for video & audio stream), etc.?
  3. Do you need WiFi or BT on the device?
NO dac, which is the expensive part that evolve and change very quickly !
No preamp either
Most of the consumer-focused devices will include line-out audio (XLR, RCA). The devices sold by Allo (DigiOne, USBRIDGE do not include DAC. As many of noted, if you are into DIY entirely, a Raspberry Pi with S/PDIF output will be the lowest cost option -- but at more complexity to you. Or, find a device that has a crappy DAC and just disable that aspect of it. For example, a used Bluesound Node 2i can be used as a Network (IP) to Audio (S/PDIF) player; and they will keep the software updated. Find one of these on the used market.

You just shifted gears.. when you say NAS and Computer, you are in a world different from a CD transport. A CD transport simply reads bits off a spinning silver disk (Redbook) and then sends those bits out as a digital media stream (S/PDIF). The CD transport is not storing your 5,000 CDs, nor is the transport providing an interface that selects which CDs to pickup, load into the platter, and start reading.
  • the NAS provide media storage (digital version of your 5,000 CDs), so now there a lot of questions I have about what type of storage you need, how many GB / TB of media you will need to store, etc. However, the Audiophonics and Allo products can support attaching a hard drive by USB, or they can use a NAS if you want that separate.
  • the "Computer" provides the media server system, which is what you interface with to decide which media to stream (in IP packets) to a network streamer that will in turn convert those packets into a digital media output stream.
If you ONLY want the network to digital audio media stream transport, this is easily just an RPI with LAN, WiFi, or BlueTooth with a basic OS and software that serves as a UPNP or digital end-point target for your media service. E.g., Chromecast as mentioned by BillG.

navin

My idea is to use the same streamer to play both audio and video files (either from a local hard disk or from the internet). This way instead of having an audio streamer like BluSound for lossless/Tidal and a video streamer (in my case Apple TV) for Netflix I get a single device that does all this as well as plays my ripped DVDs (MOV or MP4 format).

The streamer (RPi/SBC) would then have to be connected to a DAC (via I2S) for stereo sound (audio files) and an AVR (via HDMI) for multi-channel sound (video files). The DAC could then be connected (via RCA) to a separate stereo integrated amplifier (that has a power amp in option). The AVR would then manage the centre and surround speakers only with the front left and right speakers being powered by the power section of the integrated amplifier.

The DAC would also be connected via SPDIF (or TosLink) to my old CD player extending the life of this machine as it now essentially becomes just a transport.

This single device covers 4 independent functions.
  1. High-quality audio streamer/server
  2. Multi-channel audio and video streaming/server
  3. Upgrading my old CD player by using it as a transport.
  4. Option to connect my mobile device via BT for audio files
I am perfectly happy dividing this "BOX" into 2
  1. A media player (streamer/server) that connects to the internet and local hard drives
  2. A DAC that serves the media player (streamer/server), CD Player and mobile device.
Part of the rationale for having 2 boxes is that one can easily upgrade either box as technology progresses and the other part is that in my conservative view I believe (I can offer no evidence of this belief) that a DAC is best powered by a linear power supply while an RPi/SBC )and any microcontroller needed to provide front panel controls) would prefer an SMPS.

The Audiophonics "EVO-SABRE" kit might serve both functions except that it is one box instead of 2. This kit uses dual 9038Q2M. This chip is good but has its challenges (well documented on this forum). The good part is that it has 2 screens which means you can see what the media player is doing as well as what the DAC is doing.

The other option is to get some RPi-SBC (along with an attendant microcontroller and screen) to connect to the Audiophonics "ESS ES9038PRO DAC Module" via I2S. I'd rather go this route if someone can help with the SBC / RPi connections.

As Ben Du (from Soncoz) has proven, one can make some wonderful use of the "lesser" 9038Q2M chipset and compete with DACs using more expensive chipsets (SMSL SU9, Topping D70BT etc). Below is Amir's review of Ben's DAC, note the dual power supplies.
SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

It compares well against the SMSL SU 9 (see link below)
SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

I am perfectly happy buying a media player (that has basic front panel controls and a small screen) and connecting this to either the SMSL SU9, SonCOz SGD1, Topping D70bt or even the (yet to be released) Gustard X16. My budget is about $900-1000 for both items (media player + DAC) and the DACs mentioned sell for about $500 leaving me about $400 for the media player.

All this said, we also need software with a simple GUI interface for the media player. What is recommended? Jellyfin? Emby? Plex?

I believe Volumio and Moode can only be used with audio files besides my music library exceeds 3000 CDs (35,000 songs) and I am told that Volumio cant handle such large libraries.

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
How does the Okto DAC8 Stereo with Streamer compare with the options we have discussed so far
Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
The review speaks for itself as far as the DAC is concerned. From the pictures I've seen the Pi uses the DAC's USB input via a small jumper connector on the back, rather than an internal I2S connection like the Audiophonics, so it's pretty much like using an external USB-connected Pi. You've already asked @Qwin about the HDMI in the other thread - I expect the idea was to use a similar extension cable to the one Audiophonics use in their kit to take teh HDMI to the back panel. Given Okto do other personal tweaks like changing the output level it's possible they'd do this as a factory option if you ask them.

navin

The review speaks for itself as far as the DAC is concerned. From the pictures I've seen the Pi uses the DAC's USB input via a small jumper connector on the back, rather than an internal I2S connection like the Audiophonics, so it's pretty much like using an external USB-connected Pi.

Thanks. Yes the DAC indeed has rave reviews.

Is there a technical reason to use USB over I2S? Using I2S (via the GPIO) would have eliminated the need for that jumper and freed up the USB for an additional device (if required). I think Audiophonics's 9038Q2M DAC does this (uses I2S GPIO for the RPi4) which permits it to have additional USB as well as SPDIF (Coaxial and Optical) and BT inputs.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Is there a technical reason to use USB over I2S? Using I2S (via the GPIO) would have eliminated the need for that jumper and freed up the USB for an additional device (if required). I think Audiophonics's 9038Q2M DAC does this (uses I2S GPIO for the RPi4) which permits it to have additional USB as well as SPDIF (Coaxial and Optical) and BT inputs.
It's a design choice - I don't think Okto have explained the reasoning but you could ask. It could be as simple as not having considered including a Pi until after the I/O board was designed. I don't think there's a performance reason to pick one over the other. I think the Pi's I2S is limited to 2 channels even in the Pi4, but that would only be relevant to the Pro.

Omegga

I use the Nvidia shield's HDMI and USB outputs to accomplish this.

Top Bottom