• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

When Windows (Software) Gets Stupid

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Came to my computer and saw this dialog box:

upload_2018-3-20_16-24-16.png

"WerFault.exe?" Couldn't this have a more meaningful name?

Try to dismiss it and it keeps coming back. Clicked OK a dozen times and still sitting there as the "foreground" window even as I am typing this.

Search for it and get this:

upload_2018-3-20_16-25-58.png

Yup. The thing that has crashed is the program that wants to report a Windows error (crash). Except that it is crashing itself! So gets stuck in an infinite loop, crashing while it is trying report its own crash.

Why, oh why errors that are reported to users are still in computer jargon.

Microsoft is not the only one of course. Error messages do not get "usability tested" as they are assumed to never happen. But happen of course.

With probably millions of them in the OS, it is an impossible battle to clean them all up but at some point, you have to take your trash out.

Anyway, I have to reboot my machine so that I can type without looking at the error message window above!

Grumpy in Seattle,
Amir

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I still have a screen grab someplace of "windows update. Windows update cannot update as windows update needs to be updated" Update?

I nearly nearly fell off my chair with laughter. That was years ago.

Cryptic error messages. I shake my head. But at least they are better than "something went wrong" Win10 messages:

wrong.JPG

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
https://www.lifewire.com/how-do-i-disable-error-reporting-in-windows-2626074

203884-1-send-programmers-br-a-shock-button.jpg

I like the middle option from above ^: [⚡Send Electric Shock]

Important: Before you disable error reporting, please keep in mind that not only is it beneficial for Microsoft, but it's also ultimately a good thing for you, the Windows owner.

These error reports send vital information to Microsoft about a problem that the operating system or a program is having and helps them develop future patches and service packs, making Windows more stable.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top Bottom