• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

When Will We See PEQ in DACs?

Marc v E

Major Contributor
What do you mean by taking less time? Why would you go this route instead of PEQ software on the computer + DAC + AMP?
It looks like you have multiple sources. And I didn't read anywhere that you're already streaming from a Nas (music server). From experience it took considerable time and tinkering to set up the nas and a pi. The minidsp is just one device that can be used out if the box as dac and with the software installed plus instructions to configure the dsp. You could even get started by just plugging in your laptop or cd player.

Therefor a hardware based dsp dac that works instantly but can be configured to be better suited to your room seems the better choice. Add to that the benefit of adding a sub in the future and you basically have a fool proof setup for years to come.

You could use eq software on your computer for sure but then you have to set up eq for each source you add (bluray, cdplayer, phone, raspberry pi. The pi is more like a source with dsp than a dsp hub).

Last edited:
OP
wacomme

wacomme

I'm a newbie to all of this, and I'm still trying to figure out my needs and what options I have. The minidsp flex is intriguing. I can't quite tell - is the minidsp flex a DSP and Dac or a DSP, DAC, and AMP? If the latter, the price is reasonable and apparently it's review is quite good.

I'm also now investigating Roon.

I originally wanted a DAC/AMP for my home desk - Macbook - headphones (Sundara) + powered speakers (AudioEngine A2). But I also wanted a system for work (Windows) - perhaps Sundara (but they are a bit fragile transporting back and forth from home to work, so trying out AKG 371 and Senn HD 560S) with a Hidezs S9 Pro AMP/DAC dongle. I also have an iPhone and iPad. I currently subscribe to Apple Music. At home I also have AudioEngine A5 speakers connected through an AudioEngine bluetooth interface to Alexa to place Apple Music - it's not the best connection in that I often have to engage and disengage Alexa to use and not use the A5 living room speakers.

I'm considering moving my A2s to the bedroom to connect to a TV for better sound (currently use sound from the TV) and buy some PreSonus Eris 3.5 monitors for my home desk (a bit big for my small desk) - useful to use balanced cables for desk electrical interference issues (A2s only have RCAs). And maybe I could use the minidsp flex for other speakers around the house (A2s with the tv, A5's in the living room, etc.) - but Roon might be better suited to that job.

I'm also trying find the best solution for work. iTunes is abysmal on the PC, so for a while I used my iPad at work to play Apple Music - without EQ. Today I started a trial of Tidal and used EQ software for Windows 10 to get good sound with the S9 Pro. But, my family uses Apple Music, so Tidal isn't the best option for me. In addition, my work may stop employee access to Tidal soon (can't get Spotify, Qubuz among others), so Tidal access at work may be short-lived. Thus, I may need to use Apple Music through my phone or iPad (or a music player?) at work - this could be blocked at work too, though I can use cellular data on my iPhone. I suppose the minidsp flex isn't very portable, is it? Currently, with the iPhone or iPad I can't seem to find a way to add EQ to Apple Music.

Anyway, my primary objective is to have headphone access with EQ both at work and at home, and mostly likely through Apple Music.

After saying all of this, perhaps a music player is my best option (at work). It's just that streaming is so convenient. Though, if it's Apple Music I'd have to convert it to PC formatting (if that's legally possible).

Anyway, I'm all over the map - learning and trying to figure out my best option(s). Suggestions are always welcome.

Michael

OP
wacomme

wacomme

It looks like you have multiple sources. And I didn't read anywhere that you're already streaming from a Nas (music server). From experience it took considerable time and tinkering to set up the nas and a pi. The minidsp is just one device that can be used out if the box as dac and with the software installed plus instructions to configure the dsp. You could even get started by just plugging in your laptop or cd player.

Therefor a hardware based dsp dac that works instantly but can be configured to be better suited to your room seems the better choice. Add to that the benefit of adding a sub in the future and you basically have a fool proof setup for years to come.

You could use eq software on your computer for sure but then you have to set up eq for each source you add (bluray, cdplayer, phone, raspberry pi. The pi is more like a source with dsp than a dsp hub).
I'm currently contemplating returning my Dx3Pro+ and getting a 10Db and A90. This is a bit overkill for my home desk needs, but it offers balanced inputs (interference mitigation) and allows me to use the volume knob on the A9 to adjust volume for both headphones and powered desk speakers. The minidsp flex is likely to do the same for a similar price and performance AND offer DSP built-in, correct?

I believe the minidsp flex is bluetooth too. Is that bluetooth in and out? Just wondering if I could pass sound from the TV or Alexa to the minidsp flex and back to the A2 TV speakers or the A5 living room speakers?

chuckt62

Editor
There’s no amp per se in the Flex. Preamp... yes, except for the Flex Digital. You can get an Amp in the SDH Power though. None of these do BT transmit.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I'm currently contemplating returning my Dx3Pro+ and getting a 10Db and A90. This is a bit overkill for my home desk needs, but it offers balanced inputs (interference mitigation) and allows me to use the volume knob on the A9 to adjust volume for both headphones and powered desk speakers. The minidsp flex is likely to do the same for a similar price and performance AND offer DSP built-in, correct?

I believe the minidsp flex is bluetooth too. Is that bluetooth in and out? Just wondering if I could pass sound from the TV or Alexa to the minidsp flex and back to the A2 TV speakers or the A5 living room speakers?
The minidsp flex is a dac dsp and preamp. There is no headphone amp. And no power amp. But bluetooth is there, yes.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My thought is with so many options, why need one particular box in this regard? Even just from the viewpoint of singular dac.

Top Bottom