• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? by Billie Eilish: Insane bass

My adventures in stereo

I was totally put off by the insane amount of bass in this album, to the point it was unlistenable on my system
Recently I gave it a relisten with bass turned down to -24 db from my usual listening level of -15 db on my minidsped triple sub system

Now it was listenable to, with tolerable bass and enjoyable music
I am talking about the spotify premium version

Decided to pick up the vinyl

I am still shocked by the recording choices on this record
Would love to hear about your thoughts/ experiences with this album

MCH

Major Contributor
I was totally put off by the insane amount of base in this album, to the point it was unlistenable on my system
Recently I gave it a relisten with bass turned down to -24 db from my usual listening level of -15 db on my minidsped triple sub system

Now it was listenable to, with tolerable bass and enjoyable music
I am talking about the spotify premium version

Decided to pick up the vinyl
"Bad guy" in her previous vinyl makes my cartridge do strong "clicks". Very peculiar effect.

D

Deleted member 48726

Your house curve must be boosted quite a lot for it to be unlistenable.
Yes, the album has a lot of low frequency effects but nothing that spoils the sound in any way. Maybe I like my sound a bit more neutral.:)

She is quite good and the songs are mostly mastered very nice with good imaging and sound.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I have the album. The bass is distorted in some of the tracks but I don't find it excessive. It is her style of music. It is a very good album.

Besides, personal music tastes, another likely factor could be the speaker (in-room) or headphone bass response -- and possible additional driver distortion -- rather than the album's engineered bass that's experienced as excessive.

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

I have the album. The bass is distorted in some of the tracks but I don't find it excessive. It is her style of music. It is a very good album.
What was your source?
i am hoping on, the vinyl bass will be more tame

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Listening to the album through a pair of Sony MH-750 earbuds right now.

The bass hurts my ears. Makes me browse for something else never to return.

FWIW! :)

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

Your house curve must be boosted quite a lot for it to be unlistenable.
Yes, the album has a lot of low frequency effects but nothing that spoils the sound in any way. Maybe I like my sound a bit more neutral.:)

She is quite good and the songs are mostly mastered very nice with good imaging and sound.
i am running a 6db harman house curve
Most other albums sound fine

with the bass turned down i enjoy the album

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

Besides, personal music tastes, another likely factor could be the speaker (in-room) or headphone bass response -- and possible additional driver distortion -- rather than the album's engineered bass that's experienced as excessive.
The gear is reasonable by asr standards

Revel m 226 be crossed over at 80 hz
svs pb 2000 pro x2 + velodyne cht 12
nad c298 poweramp
wiim mini through optical

Last edited:

sq225917

Major Contributor
On cd it has a lot of bass, and a lot of processed compression and studio noise built into each song. But it doesn't have excessive bass, not in my system with ns1000m or at my friend's house with quad 989 and two powered 12" subs which are flat to about 23hz.

I have no idea what quality streaming files are.

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Really?

If there is a way for me to access a redbook version, I’d be happy to verify on my end.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that distortion baked into the recording?

I'm listening to it for the first time (spotify free) - I'm hearing her voice get distorted when the bass distorts. Wondering if that is my speakers/eq or the recording. Though I am listening very far below the amp/speaker capabilities

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is that distortion baked into the recording?
Yes. One track is so bad I don't listen to it for that reason. The rest are not super clean but don't seem to be intentionally screwed up that way.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. One track is so bad I don't listen to it for that reason. The rest are not super clean but don't seem to be intentionally screwed up that way.
That'd be Xanny I guess. :(

Top Bottom