• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? by Billie Eilish: Insane bass

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I assume he means from 40 seconds into xanny. Which is obviously modulating the voice with the bass, before it starts firing the voice hard pan all around the room.

It's a song about doing drugs, you know...its meant to sound other worldly.
I found it again - that's the segment. Xanny at about 00:38

goat76

Major Contributor
I assume he means from 40 seconds into xanny. Which is obviously modulating the voice with the bass, before it starts firing the voice hard pan all around the room.

It's a song about doing drugs, you know...its meant to sound other worldly.

Yes, in that song the distortion of the bass is clearly side-chained to the vocal track. Thank you. :)

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The first ten seconds of this track on Spotify kind of hurt.
[SPOTIFY]
Less so here.
[YOUTUBE]
Sounds same to me, after volume matching of course (spotify linux client, youtube on firefox)

fft.png

Last edited:

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Don't know where you heard this story but this is not how it works. You don't need side chain compression to duck a vocal, bass will do that automatically via the master compress if you're not careful. Also ducking a lead vocal is not what sound engineer 's are after, especially not with music build around a famous vocalist. Actually the challenge is making vocals cut through the mix within the dynamic range available (avoiding distortion).

Side chain compression is typically used to make a certain sound cut through, especially when there's a conflicting sound in the same frequency range. For example duck the bass guitar by the kick drum, or duck keyboards by a lead guitar.
Sorry I should have been specific, I was just idly noodling. It's Xanny at c 00:38

Geert

Major Contributor
I assume he means from 40 seconds into xanny. Which is obviously modulating the voice with the bass

One of the songs - it might be Xanny, I don't know the album - has a very interesting interesting effect where the "character" of the bass sound is modulating her voice so that it maps to the bass sound envelope

Try track xanny on the album in OP.

Got it, that's clearly an effect they deliberately put on the vocal.

Last edited:

Geert

Major Contributor
How can you keep subjective part out of judging sound quality? Clearly the producers (and hopefully the artist) approved the end result, we are hearing what they intended (cliché). It makes no difference if the distortion is "unintended" or "intended".

By focusing on the technical aspects like the frequency spectrum, signs of clipping and the measured dynamic range. A technical fuck-up is a totally different discussion than your preference for vocal effects. I'm sure most teenage Billie's fans are OK with it.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
She is a full on Basshead and I love her for that. Her music is loaded with great bass, but for some with large powerful subs I can see it could be too much. When I listen to her music I know I have to turn down the subs first. Her and James Blake like to Drop surprising deep notes here and there in their music.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried the most streamed track on the album (1.2bn streams!) called "Bad guy" and it is not only swamped with bass but with sub-bass too. Mad...but definitely intentional.

1670259175041.png

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I tried the most streamed track on the album (1.2bn streams!) called "Bad guy" and it is not only swamped with bass but with sub-bass too. Mad...but definitely intentional.

View attachment 247973
Just a note, with FFT size of only 1024 you don't get particularly good resolution in the bass range. Depending on your definition of "sub-bass" and "swamped", it may no longer be true after increasing that size :)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a note, with FFT size of only 1024 you don't get particularly good resolution in bass range. Depending on your definition of "sub-bass" and "swamped", it may no longer be true after increasing that size :)
I cannot imagine what will show different with a higher resolution, in the context but for you here is the same screen at 65,536 FFT resolution. :)

1670262756836.png

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I notice we never were told where we go when we fall asleep.

Peterinvan

I was totally put off by the insane amount of bass in this album, to the point it was unlistenable on my system
Recently I gave it a relisten with bass turned down to -24 db from my usual listening level of -15 db on my minidsped triple sub system

Now it was listenable to, with tolerable bass and enjoyable music
I am talking about the spotify premium version

Decided to pick up the vinyl

I am still shocked by the recording choices on this record
Would love to hear about your thoughts/ experiences with this album
I love this album, and play it frequently on my KEF LS50W with SVS1000 sub.
Also on headphones, with the Cayin RU6.

Streaming the “Master” on Tidal I do not get any unwanted distortion. Finnean is a master at the electronic bass and mixing/mastering.

I could see vinyl having a hard time if the RIAA attenuation during manufacturing the vinyl is not matched by a phono amp that undoes the RIAA EQ for playback. Also, the turntable could be picking up vibes from the sub.

D

Deleted member 48726

I love this album, and play it frequently on my KEF LS50W with SVS1000 sub.
Also on headphones, with the Cayin RU6.

Streaming the “Master” on Tidal I do not get any unwanted distortion. Finnean is a master at the electronic bass and mixing/mastering.

I could see vinyl having a hard time if the RIAA attenuation during manufacturing the vinyl is not matched by a phono amp that undoes the RIAA EQ for playback. Also, the turntable could be picking up vibes from the sub.
I can see why people with an unbalanced system might be put off though. If they have their bass EQ adjusted to rock or jazz with too much boost or have it tuned to movie LFE effects. I don't have much of a house curve, I keep my EQ to flat response, only sloping down from high-mid to high.
I'm sure Billie Eilish among other types of music like EDM etc. would sound awful if I turned the SUB gain to +6 or 9 dB

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

got the vinyl
it sounds much better and bass is far better controlled

Attachments

• 20221215_142145.jpg
    20221215_142145.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 40

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the album. The bass is distorted in some of the tracks but I don't find it excessive. It is her style of music. It is a very good album.
I wondered if the distortion was intentional when I first listened to some of the tracks-now I know it was.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
She is a full on Basshead and I love her for that. Her music is loaded with great bass, but for some with large powerful subs I can see it could be too much. When I listen to her music I know I have to turn down the subs first. Her and James Blake like to Drop surprising deep notes here and there in their music.
Avatar change, I see. Happy Holidays!

Top Bottom