• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? by Billie Eilish: Insane bass

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No problems with the bass on this album, love it.

Another nice song with plenty of deep bass:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
had a hard time believing that anybody would really think the "broken speaker" effect on Xanny sounds good so I checked the Youtube coments and saw a lot of people comenting about hearing it on headphones. It really is diferent over headphones, kind of listenable even.

Andysu

Major Contributor
i don't like it . i rather listen to noisy playsation 4 noisy fan .
4min 13sec the amount of distortion that sounds like its seriously clipping . i'm using the multi ch stereo heights 1 2 3 on Deon avc-x8500h with JBL 8330A nine x9 being used . this music is a headless panther , cat litter box . i can't be asked to put the music on the oscilloscope or RTA or spectrum lab ( too many colours ) waterfall , i'm switching it off ! i can't even understand single mumbling lyric she is trying to sing ? overrated . i never could stand , " no time to die " worst bond movie with mumbling lyrics .

goat76

Major Contributor
4min 13sec the amount of distortion that sounds like its seriously clipping .

So... You most likely don’t like the intentional sound effect they put on her voice. It's just that, a sound effect, not a technical fault.

Either we discuss the technicalities of this records quality, or we talk about our subjective take on artistic choices. If it's the latter, the verdict can be anything from excellent to worst ever. :)

If we talk about the technical aspect of this album, we know they have used limiters to reduce the overall dynamics, but it's questionable if this album would sound much different if we had the chance to hear a version of it without the limiters, because of all the distortion effects already applied to some of the individual sound objects in the mix.

Andysu

Major Contributor
So... You most likely don’t like the intentional sound effect they put on her voice. It's just that, a sound effect, not a technical fault.

Either we discuss the technicalities of this records quality, or we talk about our subjective take on artistic choices. If it's the latter, the verdict can be anything from excellent to worst ever. :)

If we talk about the technical aspect of this album, we know they have used limiters to reduce the overall dynamics, but it's questionable if this album would sound much different if we had the chance to hear a version of it without the limiters, because of all the distortion effects already applied to some of the individual sound objects in the mix.
i did a video short looked at the bass spectrum lab . bass head ? hardly goes below 40Hz and i not listening to anymore of it with wads of digital bass distortion and mumbling lyrics ?
i myself don't really listen to pop music . classical music is the true universal music without someone mumbling into a microphone .
this is ASR and i will think type honestly . if this was CB radio with s/n noise on AM or SSB with stations being carried on good skip conditions over 15.000 to 25.000 miles away i can understand them better than , billie .

dasdoing

Major Contributor
If we talk about the technical aspect of this album, we know they have used limiters to reduce the overall dynamics

believe it or not, this is sound effect, too nowadays. in this genre they will target around -9 LUFS even though all the streaming services will bring it down by around 5dB

goat76

Major Contributor
believe it or not, this is sound effect, too nowadays. in this genre they will target around -9 LUFS even though all the streaming services will bring it down by around 5dB

Yes, two of the songs on this album is under -8 LUFS. On Tidal, who do album normalization and also apply a headroom of 1 dB, this album will even be brought down with 7 dB.

thecheapseats

...I am still shocked by the recording choices on this record...
one of those darn near perfect examples of a fine performance which was well received commercially - but with an unfortunate rookie recording mistake done in a home studio (hey it happens)... a friend recommended her debut to me when it was first released because of her talent - but that track jumped out at me (wtf?) when first hearing it years ago (I own the cd)...

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
I was totally put off by the insane amount of bass in this album, to the point it was unlistenable on my system
Recently I gave it a relisten with bass turned down to -24 db from my usual listening level of -15 db on my minidsped triple sub system

Now it was listenable to, with tolerable bass and enjoyable music
I am talking about the spotify premium version

Decided to pick up the vinyl

I am still shocked by the recording choices on this record
Would love to hear about your thoughts/ experiences with this album
Edit: Post is referencing the thread title track

When I lower the volume to align the overall playback level with the quiet singing style of the song I find the bass to be at an (marginally) acceptable level, and the overall tonality of the song improves.

Played at a more typical level the bass is rather excessive for my preferences.

Streamed via Tidal.

Last edited:

Peterinvan

Edit: Post is referencing the thread title track

When I lower the volume to align the overall playback level with the quiet singing style of the song I find the bass to be at an (marginally) acceptable level, and the overall tonality of the song improves.

Played at a more typical level the bass is rather excessive for my preferences.

Streamed via Tidal.
Listening to the MQA version on Tidal, using my LCD-XC phones, the bass envelops me in a warm blanket, and Billie's voice is as seductive as ever.

I don't hear any unintended distortion on "Bad Guy" . It is on several of my playlists.

I admit I always skip over the "Xanny" and "You should see me in a Crown" tracks, as I don't like Finnian's over-distorted bass.

Top Bottom