• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

When is it right to denounce music and stop playing it?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
The Greeks invented the concept of muses exactly to explain that inspiration is something separate from character. Nietzsche followed (much) later with his analysis of the duality between Dionysus and Apollo, something that was also touched by Hesse in Narcissus and Goldmund. My take: almost all artists are scum by nature, and the art they produce is something completely independent from that fact.

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry that's my domain.:) Angry Samoans to Z'ev and everything in-between.
If you ask my wife she might disagree because she thinks I have the craziest taste in music, being able to switch from Scarlatti to Metallica to Wagner to Rihm to John Luther Adams to Deep Purple to Genesis to Dalbello to ... :facepalm:
I think you get the picture :p

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Robin L

Master Contributor
Nothing I just hate the eagles
tumblr_m2zi4h5sH71rq1vxuo1_500.gif

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In what way have the 'Bill of Rights' 'been destroyed'?

I've been on the internet a few years now and I'm pretty sure engaging someone with questions like this is unlikely to be productive or interesting.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
“Shut up and Sing”. Sums it up for me.

Then you have bands that sing about the stuff that is controversial just to make a point. Like our Australian band Midnight Oil. I loved them when I was young and idealistic.

Then the lead singer went into politics, made a mess of it and went back to music. Now I can't stand their music- just doesn't resonate anymore with me.

Katji

Major Contributor
By the way, :):confused::cool: I stopped listening to Neil Young about 40 years ago. The one reason is...

1620053311040.png

The other thing was "Tonight's The Night," miserable, depressing. I listened to it too much, then one day I realised - wtf.

I figured I don't need him around anyhow.

Yes, I know the explanation, I don't care.

Katji

Major Contributor
I'm not totally averse to music with "a message", but I tend to uhhh turn the page, move on. ...I'm not 20yo anymore.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Then you have bands that sing about the stuff that is controversial just to make a point. Like our Australian band Midnight Oil. I loved them when I was young and idealistic.

Then the lead singer went into politics, made a mess of it and went back to music. Now I can't stand their music- just doesn't resonate anymore with me.

The same could be said for R.E.M. and Michael Stipe. I still like and listen to early R.E.M. and Midnight Oil.

Martin

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Thread Notice: Please step back from the Political Opinion Cliff edge. We don’t discuss this topic here for obvious reasons. Please and thank you!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
While there are many other possible angles to look at the situation I'm about to describe I really only care about one. Is this proper for business, just on the ground of business ethics not in terms of anything else.

I believe Muddy Waters 1st deal with Leonard and Phil Chess paid a royalty of one half penny per 100 disk sales. A million disk seller would net $5000 out of that. That doesn't seem right.

While the Chess brothers would say, no one else is offering more in fact no one is offering anything for this genre of music. If not for what we did Muddy Waters and other blues singers from those days might well be unknown and would have made a few bucks scraping by playing clubs.

Should we look askance at the Chess brothers for exploiting a situation like this when it is also true no one else was willing to record and pay those musicians anything for blues music? The Chess brothers didn't create this situation, and while they did take advantage of it they do deserve some credit for making it known to the wide world. The real world is a messy chaotic place and painting things as totally right or wrong with no other nuance is something people with little life experience do.

Well I don't really have to care at all. I'm just glad that music was recorded and made available to the world and I will play it as long as I'm around to listen.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

stalepie2

Major Contributor
I don't really understand the personal connection people have to music. I listen to a lot of different things and I don't feel that connected to any of it. I don't pretend that Steve Reich and Lil Jon like me, or that Brandy and Bad Religion want to sleep with me. I just don't imagine that Billy Joel knows who I am, much less wants to talk to me. I don't feel I know them. It's just sounds. I'm not even always sure if they wrote the music, or what their involvement is (I listen to a lot of electronic music). I don't always even know if the vocals are real, or how much they've been tweaked. I grew up listening to Guns n Roses and the Indigo Girls and REM and Crass and Orbital and I don't get what people feel they're connecting to. When I listened to punk rock music in high school I couldn't understand most of the lyrics very well. I've listened to Neo-Nazi music and I didn't become racist. I've listened to Israeli music and I didn't become Jewish. I just don't find music very meaningful. So what I'm trying to say is I don't care where it comes from very much or what criminals they are. Gesualdo killed his wives, according to that Verner Hertzog documentary Death for Five Voices. Is it true? Do I care? I don't know. I don't like Guesaldo's music very much anyway.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While there are many other possible angles to look at the situation I'm about to describe I really only care about one. Is this proper for business, just on the ground of business ethics not in terms of anything else.

I believe Muddy Waters 1st deal with Leonard and Phil Chess paid a royalty of one half penny per 100 disk sales. A million disk seller would net $5000 out of that. That doesn't seem right.

While the Chess brothers would say, no one else is offering more in fact no one is offering anything for this genre of music. If not for what we did Muddy Waters and other blues singers from those days might well be unknown and would have made a few bucks scraping by playing clubs.

Should we look askance at the Chess brothers for exploiting a situation like this when it is also true no one else was willing to record and pay those musicians anything for blues music? The Chess brothers didn't create this situation, and while they did take advantage of it they do deserve some credit for making it known to the wide world. The real world is a messy chaotic place and painting things as totally right or wrong with no other nuance is something people with little life experience do.

Well I don't really have to care at all. I'm just glad that music was recorded and made available to the world and I will play it as long as I'm around to listen.

I can recommend the biography on country legend Deford Bailey. An absolute eye opener on how artists, and especially black artists where treated in the industry.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Mind you there’s a Little Walter recording, I forget which one, where Leonard Chess can be heard saying ‘take 36’. They drive a hard bargain but worked equally hard on the records.

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Gesualdo killed his wives, according to that Verner Hertzog documentary Death for Five Voices. Is it true? Do I care? I don't know. I don't like Guesaldo's music very much anyway.
His wife and her lover when he found them together. Since it was adultery, and he was a nobleman, it was legal for him to do so. At least, that’s what my music history professor said.

Top Bottom