• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

When is it right to denounce music and stop playing it?

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A brief internet search shows that in 1976 he made some racists statements about deporting "colored" from the UK, on stage.
No recording nor transcript exists but he acknowledges it and has apologized. That's a long time ago.
I hope he sensed the irony of a blues player making such a rant.:rolleyes::eek:

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I still have no idea what he supposedly said or when. That's a common problem with witch hunts.
There was a link to a transcript posted here but any rock star can claim the they were high or drunk so best to just move on.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A brief internet search shows that in 1976 he made some racists statements about deporting "colored" from the UK, on stage.
No recording nor transcript exists but he acknowledges it and has apologized. That's a long time ago.
I hope he sensed the irony of a blues player making such a rant.:rolleyes::eek:

what about the Irish?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
This thread has a problem because it depends so much on one's personal values. It runs on the same tracks as cancel culture which itself is controversial. If it were up to me I would close it.

Katji

Major Contributor
The thread title aggravated me - "when is it right?" wtf. ...I won't blather about the idea of "objective" here.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t pay attention to the personal values of performers. If I did I’d have nothing to read, watch or listen to. I don’t care for preachy content but I don’t actively avoid it. How can we grow if we shut out opposing points of view? Enjoy what you like and leave others to enjoy what they like. That said there is content I will not consume. My choice.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have completely stopped listening to R Kelly, Gary Glitter, Wagner and the Eagles.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ll admit to behaving pretty arbitrarily around this, as most do. None of us define a clear set of principles and consistently apply it. I think it’s moronic to judge historical figures using a modern frame of reference, which is why I haven’t thrown out my half of my pre 60s jazz and blues record collection.

I avoid putting money in the pockets of people who hurt other people where I can.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually-as this is a science based forum I propose that a consequentialist/materialist approach should be used, as it’s epistemology is grounded in an acceptance that events take place in a material universe and should be judged by their consequences, which is the only way of anticipating and retrospectively measuring/evaluating the impact of any given decision.

Robin L

Master Contributor
'Tis nobler to ignore than to denounce.

julian_hughes

I'm impressed at how many people in the modern anglosphere are both without sin and also have a good supply of stones to hand ready to cast. The sinless walk among us. Oh joy.

julian_hughes

edit: the sinless walk among us and they're armed with piety, rocks and twitter. Beware of the sinless, the fu**ers might kill you.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm impressed at how many people in the modern anglosphere are both without sin and also have a good supply of stones to hand ready to cast. The sinless walk among us. Oh joy.
I don’t think you’ll find hypocrisy to be an entirely ‘anglospheric’ phenomenon. Anywhere where moral frameworks exist their are those who choose to apply them to others before themselves.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t think you’ll find hypocrisy to be an entirely ‘anglospheric’ phenomenon. Anywhere where moral frameworks exist their are those who choose to apply them to others before themselves.
But yes, there’s alot of it about;)

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
" it’s moronic to judge historical figures using a modern frame of reference"

That +10000 :)

When Wagner lived pretty much everyone was misogynist or racist or antisemit , or actually all 3 of them + some (un)healty serving of nationalism , judged by today's standard.
Earlier than that everyone married teenagers that possible also was their cousins .

Can we listen to male artist that lived before there where any proper acceptance for women's rights ?

I have to add that with idol worshiping comes unrealistic expectations ? they ar just as stupid as the next guy/gal or you and me :) and of course at the mercy of their times wims and fads and misguided beliefs , like we are.

People ask celebrities of all kinds of opinions on topics that's clearly outside their professional scope and listen to them. So much that we use them in ads for any products or spokes person for diverse movements . Soccer players in car ads ? Actors peddling religions ?

What do we expect of some partying young men in the 70's that suddenly fills arenas and sell millions of records ? like AC/DC or Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath ? I would listen to the records and possibly maybe if they insisted hear what they have to say today.

Like myself being and very subjektivist audiophile earlier in life, you can probably search forums and showe idiotic things i wrote in the past in my face and let me eat that forever.

Very few people can be judged by todays standard backwards in time and come out clean and i'ts basically just a coin flip who they are.

Heck I'm getting old a sad part of cancel culture will be the we would have to live trough the indignities of being judged by what we said and did decades ago before we die . So it's being a sin to actually been alive before (pol pot and khmer rouge thought so restarting the count of time with year zero and basically tried to erase everything that not fitted their ideology)

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have completely stopped listening to R Kelly, Gary Glitter, Wagner and the Eagles.
What did the eagles do? Not that I really listen to them.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Congrats for the most diverse music taste in whole of ASR o_O never heard of anyone fancy these at the same time ? as you stopped listening you clearly had been listening :cool:

Top Bottom