• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

When is it right to denounce music and stop playing it?

stalepie2

Major Contributor
His wife and her lover when he found them together. Since it was adultery, and he was a nobleman, it was legal for him to do so. At least, that’s what my music history professor said.
I think I may not be telling the full truth about what all I said in general because I remembered afterwards that I had not wanted to hear Charles Manson's music, which I'd seen posted before, not even to try it out, and I think I avoided it. So perhaps I have some limits or I get a bit squeemish about some things.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I think I may not be telling the full truth about what all I said in general because I remembered afterwards that I had not wanted to hear Charles Manson's music, which I'd seen posted before, not even to try it out, and I think I avoided it. So perhaps I have some limits or I get a bit squeemish about some things.

Bobby Beausoleil's wife put his guitar up on ebay for $3500 and my wife said we would have no such thing in our house.

Robin L

Master Contributor
His wife and her lover when he found them together. Since it was adultery, and he was a nobleman, it was legal for him to do so. At least, that’s what my music history professor said.
Thats what I remember from reading lots of liner notes to astonishing CDs. However, it did leak into his music. Some of the world's first 20th century compositions. Some grinding dissonances in there.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Neil Young's comments got right to the point, saying that Manson had rock star charisma, decent songs, a shot at stardom.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Neil Young's comments got right to the point, saying that Manson had rock star charisma, decent songs, a shot at stardom.

All of which might be true separately from his also being a monster.

Some artists I admire as people, and some art I admire as art. The two groups do not always correlate, in either direction.

Rick “who doesn’t attempt to form moral or metaphysical values in the basis of enjoyable art” Denney

JohnnyAudio

My kids hit the stop button frequently.

Robin L

Master Contributor
All of which might be true separately from his also being a monster.

Some artists I admire as people, and some art I admire as art. The two groups do not always correlate, in either direction.

Rick “who doesn’t attempt to form moral or metaphysical values in the basis of enjoyable art” Denney
I've been reading James Kaplan's massive two-part biography of Frank Sinatra. There's a great musical artist who was also a monster as a person.

Top Bottom