• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

When Bose really blows (Mazda 6 fix)!

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While really like the Mazdas I have had, my first was a 2014 Mazda 6 with the Bose premium sound. It is now my daughter’s car and she recently complained of the bass rattling in the front door. Was not really a Bose hater until this (but hoping Mazda reconsiders their vendor choice). After some hunting online, this appears to be a known problem and has to do with moisture exposure. Here is picture of the woofer mounted in the door:

C31C1019-7F28-47A1-9C60-0EC404BC3554.jpeg

After popping the door panel, my initial reaction was that is one strange looking woofer. It has a number of unusual properties as I soon discovered. It is a premium paper speaker with a screen on this side and is 1 ohm. So forget about finding a drop-in aftermarket replacement. Removing it from the door revealed another oddity and why it has failed...

B328F4EB-5FBC-44CE-9EBD-8E0E165080D8.jpeg

As you can now see the spider is on the opposite side of the voice coil. Somewhat less obvious (not original pic), is that it is half delaminated from the frame. So know I know the source of the rattle. I checked with Mazda dealer and a replacement part is $300. At this point, as a clear design issue, I appealed to the service manager for some relief and was told they needed to see the car. This was not convenient at the time and will not get into lengthy details, so I got my speaker glue and repaired...
E1DD8108-DA19-4BCB-89EC-F8A05E15FCD6.jpeg

Not wanting to have to repair again, starting looking into root cause and how to prevent recurrence. The driver is mounted in a shroud so they had considered how to shield from exposure. The problem appears to be when the window is fully down, the lower edge is below the shroud. I had some dacron damping liner, so here is my solution:
8BB341E0-F077-4B89-930B-8B18C990789F.jpeg

As you can see (pic is back side of shroud), cut dacron to fit and gorilla taped it to the top edge of the shroud. The woofer excursion did not appear to touch the liner and any moisture will (hopefully) evaporate in the liner rather than on the driver spider. Expect the tape may loosen eventually, but was really just done to hold liner in place while reinstalling. For now, it seems to be an improvement...

So far, this fix has held up well and recently applied the same fixes to the other driver as the issue occurred in the other door as well. My latest Mazda is a CX-9 and it was bought without the Bose option and sounds pretty good. At least I know I did not give Bose any more money for a marginal design that forced you to buy their replacement part. :)

Last edited:

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How did Bose get such a name? My mrs has the same Mazda 2014 with the Bose system, it has the absolutely most horrible sounding one note subwoofer I have ever had the misfortune of hearing installed in the boot. Thankfully the head unit we installed can shut it off. And now I see that woofer I don’t know whether to applaud good engineering or just :facepalm:

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A friend just sold his Miata and said his Bose subwoofer would sound different based on weather. He only had 14,000 miles on it and I almost bought it. Would have had to fix, but lack of tilt on steering wheel made it to tight a fit for me. :oops:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure I'd blame Bose entirely. Mazda probably spec'd something dirt cheap to begin with. Like Mazda really cares about their car audio systems. Be glad it wasn't the transmission. That said, I've never heard an excellent Bose car system. I think it's just a name a lot of people know, so low to mid tier car makers license it--possibly helps get a sell.

If car audio was important to me, and if I had a 6 year plus old car, I'd probably be calling Crutchfield.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like Crutchfield too but pretty sure a Mazda did not spec 1 ohm speakers. The non-Bose system looks like more traditional drivers at more typical impedance too.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like Crutchfield too but pretty sure a Mazda did not spec 1 ohm speakers. The non-Bose system looks like more traditional drivers at more typical impedance too.
When I say Mazda spec'd cheap, I meant they likely just threw out a low-ball price point and left the 'details' to whomever supplied the hardware.

I had a Mk7 GTI (great little car BTW) with a Fender branded system. Like Fender is an audiophile company? What a joke--it was simply a name that 'VW' thought was a hip for their intended demographic. Who knows who actually made the unit?

Unless you are in the high-end market (for example, Audi lets B&O work their magic, BMW uses B&W etc.) a factory sound system will more than not just be something making noise. The worst offenders are after market kids with woofers that shake the pavement. I categorize that group in with the Harley riders who take the mufflers off their machines so everyone else can participate in their absurdities. You know, the 'loud pipes save lives' idiocy.

NewbieAudiophileExpert

Any advice for somebody with a 2014 mazda 6 looking to fix their bose sound system from the rattle?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't hold my breath on them switching from Bose. Bose has the magic name, for some unfathomable reason. Another venerated audio turd.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any advice for somebody with a 2014 mazda 6 looking to fix their bose sound system from the rattle?

Are you looking to fix or replace? Can help with fixing if needed. Could also whine at Mazda and they may give you a break. They did the first time this happened to my daughter's car.

If you want to replace, it has been a few years and it appears Crutchfield now offers aftermarket replacements. :cool: Would suggest something with vinyl cone if you do not plan to protect them.

p.s. my daughter still has her car and my hack continues to work.:)

Last edited:

NewbieAudiophileExpert

Are you looking to fix or replace? Can help with fixing if needed. Could also whine at Mazda and they may give you a break. They did the first time this happened to my daughter's car.

If you want to replace, it has been a few years and it appears Crutchfield now offers aftermarket replacements. :cool: Would suggest something with vinyl cone if you do not plan to protect them.

p.s. my daughter still has her car and my hack continues to work.:)
Never mind - i managed to fix the speakers by supergluing the surround of the part at the back to the metal.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Never mind - i managed to fix the speakers by supergluing the surround of the part at the back to the metal.

Hope it holds, super glue creates a more brittle bond than I would use for a speaker.

Was it the surround that became detached or the spider (as my OP shows)?

Top Bottom