• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

When Audiosciencereview starts to influence Pro world ?

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Radial Engineering, worldwide known in Pro world for their DI boxes, is now publishing measurements.
Given the logo on the graphs, that seems to be done with an Audio Precision device.
I don't know when they started, but I didn't see that before.

Some time ago, I measured one of their DIs,the Radial JDI Duplex (passive DI with transformers), myself and published the measurements here

Now, if you look on their webpage, under "Graphs" section of the specification page, you'll find their measurements.

Same may be found for the popular J48 (Active DI), J33 (Phono preamp and Line-level DI),...

Interesting :)

PaulD

Radial are just a solid engineering company. I doubt they were influenced by ASR to put in the graphs, and I suspect they were testing their products properly anyway.

I think it's a very positive sign that they are now publishing their graphs, presumably because purchasers are more literate and want the details. ASR might take a little credit for that, but I'm in the pro audio world and ASR does not figure much in it. But the graphs are still a very welcome development, many thanks for bring it to our attention!

OP
R

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Radial are just a solid engineering company. I doubt they were influenced by ASR to put in the graphs, and I suspect they were testing their products properly anyway.
I'm sure they were. I have a huge respect for companies like Radial, Millennia, RME, SPL or the likes, that are providing excellent products on such a regular base.

I think it's a very positive sign that they are now publishing their graphs, presumably because purchasers are more literate and want the details.
ASR might take a little credit for that, but I'm in the pro audio world and ASR does not figure much in it. But the graphs are still a very welcome development, many thanks for bring it to our attention!
That's why I have this "?" in the title.
But I wouldn't under-estimate the impact of ASR.
Companies producing Pro sound equipment include some highly passionate people.
Some go much further than just what the business requires.
I would take the presence here, on ASR forum, of Matthias Carstens (RME - @MC_RME ), John La Grou (Millennia Media - @signalpath) and some others as a good evidence that they are also interested in our discussions here. Or at least in the Audio Science subject.

Quoting John La Grou (pardon me, please):
Audio science is a passion, and I happen to really like this community and think Amir is doing a wonderful service to audio.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
We certainly can reasonable suggest that at least with one company, Schiit, the fair, constructive criticism, supported by excellent empirical evidence, that ASR provided them positively influenced their product development. And that is meant as more of a compliment to Schiit rather than a back slap to the ASR community (although I really value this community and feel it deserves a huge back slap).

I think Jason and the other design engineers at Schiit really do care about both good audio and good engineering, and while I suspect that it hurt to so publicly see their products called out, the fact that rather than get into an Internet pissing match and double down on being stubborn Schiit clearly decided to up their game and grow from the challenge. That takes moxy and I really respect that about Schiit. I hope iFi also accepts the challenge and ups their game as I like many pieces in their product line.

OP
R

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We certainly can reasonable suggest that at least with one company, Schiit, the fair, constructive criticism, supported by excellent empirical evidence, that ASR provided them positively influenced their product development. And that is meant as more of a compliment to Schiit rather than a back slap to the ASR community (although I really value this community and feel it deserves a huge back slap).

I think Jason and the other design engineers at Schiit really do care about both good audio and good engineering, and while I suspect that it hurt to so publicly see their products called out, the fact that rather than get into an Internet pissing match and double down on being stubborn Schiit clearly decided to up their game and grow from the challenge. That takes moxy and I really respect that about Schiit. I hope iFi also accepts the challenge and ups their game as I like many pieces in their product line.
Sure.
Although Schiit is not really a "Pro" company...

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
No doubt about the engineering but...
https://www.radialeng.com/understanding-graphs
Inter-modulation distortion (IMD)
This test causes the device to distort using two dissonant tones which cause the circuit to beat or modulate like an out of tune piano. And just like a piano, some sound a lot better than others!

Fast Fourier Transform (FFT)
This test is performed by driving a 1kHz tone into a device, causing it to distort and then looking at the harmonic structure. Audiophiles seek out warm sounding even order harmonics in a perfect ascending cascade. Odd order (zig-zaging) harmonics are the ones that tend to sound harsh to our ears.
I'm not sure they are clear about who their audience is, or if they have a significant portion of buyers who regularly ask them audiophile-type questions about sound. Or maybe they couldn't think of a better, less clumsy way to explain the concepts.

OP
R

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure they are clear about who their audience is, or if they have a significant portion of buyers who regularly ask them audiophile-type questions about sound.
For DI boxes, they are typically musicians.
Typically electric bass, guitar or piano musicians.
So no techies.

And sound engineers, of course.

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Although Schiit is not really a "Pro" company...
To be fair, Radial owns and has resurrected Hafler, a brand that spans both the pro-consumer market space with their offerings, and is evidently selling an updated Dyna ST-70, a strictly consumer oriented product.

OP
R

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To be fair, Radial owns and has resurrected Hafler, a brand that spans both the pro-consumer market space with their offerings, and is evidently selling an updated Dyna ST-70, a strictly consumer oriented product.
Thanks. I didn't know that.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I had forgotten the name Hafler which I believe at one time was a fairly respected one in the audio world.

DownUnderGazza

Forum Donor
As a sound engineer, the absence of verifiable measurements in DIs bothered me.
In the end I went for reputation. Most of my DIs are Radial, with a smattering of Rupert Neve and Tech21 SansAmp’s.
So I applaud this sign of change.

Next we’ll see proper measurements of Pro Audio mixing consoles!
Wouldn't that be a sight to behold!

OP
R

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As a sound engineer, the absence of verifiable measurements in DIs bothered me.
In the end I went for reputation. Most of my DIs are Radial, with a smattering of Rupert Neve and Tech21 SansAmp’s.
So I applaud this sign of change.

Next we’ll see proper measurements of Pro Audio mixing consoles!
Wouldn't that be a sight to behold!
I also have Radial, J48 and JDI.
And this one too, from APEX.
Works fine too :)

Top Bottom