• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

When 12 Gauge Wire is Not 12 Gauge

ClassicGuy

I just measured the Amazon Basics 16 awg cable, the round trip resistance of a 25 ft cable is about 500 mOhms (25 ft one way, and 25 ft returning). Another 2 brands of cables yielded similar numbers. They are all CCA cables.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just measured the Amazon Basics 16 awg cable, the round trip resistance of a 25 ft cable is about 500 mOhms (25 ft one way, and 25 ft returning). Another 2 brands of cables yielded similar numbers. They are all CCA cables.
Could the measurement equipment be at fault... just to give the benefit of the doubt to possible (or dubious) terminations, if any?

ClassicGuy

Could the measurement equipment be at fault... just to give the benefit of the doubt to possible (or dubious) terminations, if any?
I claim the measurement to be decently accurate :)

Probably easier for others to verify my claims if they have Amazon Basics cables.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I was using some very old Monster for a long time, then it all turned GREEN !
Any of the clear insulation wires will turn green as the plasticizer in clear vinyl is highly acidic. Vinyl is actually as brittle as glass without it. Opaque insulation may too, just not as badly. Now, if properly terminated, it makes no difference in performance.

Well, skimming through this, it identifies some basic fraud and also reminds my why I buy Belden for almost everything. They don't lie. Not that there may not be others that are just as good, but they are trustworthy.

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When people say xx gauge is good for xx distance, is the distance they're referring to one way or round trip? If chart says 12gauge is good for 50ft, is that 50ft for positive cable or actually 25ft because I need to take into account positive and negative?

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
You are not transmitting power. Don't over think it.
100 feet of 12 gauge wire is about .15 Ohms. Plug that into your woofer box simulator and see what it does. Hint: nothing. The chokes in the crossover are more than that. All that nonsense about damping factor is just a number they can advertise where "bigger is better" because consumers do not know what it means.

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You are not transmitting power. Don't over think it.
100 feet of 12 gauge wire is about .15 Ohms. Plug that into your woofer box simulator and see what it does. Hint: nothing. The chokes in the crossover are more than that. All that nonsense about damping factor is just a number they can advertise where "bigger is better" because consumers do not know what it means.
In this case I'm not worrying, more just curious about the specifics. :)

RC231

Without reading the whole thread any brand recommendations for basic cl2/3 inwall cable for surrounds? Thinking 14/2 and need ~200ft for 4 runs. I was going to buy the monoprice but the amir's results are making me question that choice even though it likely doesn't matter.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Without reading the whole thread any brand recommendations for basic cl2/3 inwall cable for surrounds? Thinking 14/2 and need ~200ft for 4 runs. I was going to buy the monoprice but the amir's results are making me question that choice even though it likely doesn't matter.
Canare 4S11 star quad
Belden 5000
Twelve White is CL3R; for 5T00UP it's CL3, and for Ten White, it's CL2).

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audtek OFC @ PE is a solid value. Beware the non-OFC, because it is CCA.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Zorlac

If DCR is supposed to be 1.5 for 12AWG, then is lower than 1.5 even better or are we trying to achieve exactly 1.5 if possible?

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
If DCR is supposed to be 1.5 for 12AWG, then is lower than 1.5 even better or are we trying to achieve exactly 1.5 if possible?
The formula is:
R = (Resistivity x length)/CSA

For cables all specified at 12AWG the resistance measurements should be the same for equal lengths if the material (Copper) is common to them all. Even if Aluminium was used in some cables, the differences shouldn’t have been as big.

Last edited:

totto

Sorry if I appear completely incompetent, as I'm pretty much hifi illiterate. But I cannot seem to find 12 gauge cable size which would be about 3.3mm2 in Europe. What I can find goes from 2.5mm2 to 4mm2. I have a Yamaha A-S301 and Quad S2 (8 ohm), no cables. In near future I'm planning to get Schiit Modius and a Topping or SMSL amp which I probably will also test out Polk R200 and Klipsch RP600 II on.
Would 2.5mm2 suffice?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry if I appear completely incompetent, as I'm pretty much hifi illiterate. But I cannot seem to find 12 gauge cable size which would be about 3.3mm2 in Europe. What I can find goes from 2.5mm2 to 4mm2. I have a Yamaha A-S301 and Quad S2 (8 ohm), no cables. In near future I'm planning to get Schiit Modius and a Topping or SMSL amp which I probably will also test out Polk R200 and Klipsch RP600 II on.
Would 2.5mm2 suffice?
Any chance you can talk in gauge. We don't normally discuss wire by cross sectional area. Or link us to a cross sectional chart of gauge versus cross sectional area.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Well how long will the cables be?
There is nothing magic about 12AWG wire & cable. It's just the largest readily available size in the USA.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Would 2.5mm2 suffice?
Yes, 2.5mm^2 @ approximately 13G will suffice.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would 2.5mm2 suffice?
Hi and welcome @totto [Are you from Kansas, per chance?],
If the wiring is going to be for your speakers; you may wish to consider buying:
*A pre-assembled pair of cables,
*That are *as short (length) as possible, and
*Have the proper terminations (banana plugs or spade lugs) at BOTH ends of the cable (from amp and to speaker).
*If the speaker cables are no longer than about 2meters (each side L/R), you can probably save some $$ by going to 14awg... or even 16awg (higher the awg# << skinnier the inner conductor overall diameter).

totto

Thanks again for both replies. I'm from Europe, quite far away from Kansas hehe. I looked for some pre-assembled, but mostly 4x the price compared to DIY. I have some proper banana plugs and that are easy to attach.
I have a rookie question though, if I purchase 11AWG does this have any chance or higher chance to damage the speakers somehow?

Top Bottom