• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

When 12 Gauge Wire is Not 12 Gauge

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I do plan on "reviewing" and measuring some RCA cables.....

WIth headphone cables I have found that when the impedance of the headphone is high, e.g. 300 ohm, it is actually quite easy to inject noise into the cabling! The typical low impedance of speakers eliminates this but with high impedance headphones, it can be an issue, certainly for measurements.

bobhol

Loudspeakers and amplifier outputs are very low impedance components. It takes very large capacitors & inductors to do much filtering. Just look at the size of the capacitors & inductors in a passive cross-over.
large caps.jpg

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't been able to find the output impedance of the pre out, unfortunately.

Are you able to contact Devialet to see if they can tell you, or to measure it? I see someone asked the same question on Devialet forum and it went unanswered. IMHO this would probably be the most decisive factor as to whether what you're doing is the best approach.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I do plan on "reviewing" and measuring some RCA cables.....

WIth headphone cables I have found that when the impedance of the headphone is high, e.g. 300 ohm, it is actually quite easy to inject noise into the cabling! The typical low impedance of speakers eliminates this but with high impedance headphones, it can be an issue, certainly for measurements.

So what do you think this means for 'medium impedance' headphones?

Most of mine are in the 30 - 65 ohm range.

The only 300 ohm cans I have are my Sennheiser 6XX.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Are you able to contact Devialet to see if they can tell you, or to measure it? I see someone asked the same question on Devialet forum and it went unanswered. IMHO this would probably be the most decisive factor as to whether what you're doing is the best approach.

Got an answer from Devialet support:

"The output impedance is less than 1 Ohm on expert and expert pro."

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got an answer from Devialet support:

"The output impedance is less than 1 Ohm on expert and expert pro."
That's good to know, I've heard other people say they found it to be better than the other amps they had, was always suspicious, but if the less than 1 ohm is true then it could well be very true.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Good. Should make it happier with longer cable runs too :)

Speaking of which, I'm quite pleased with my 10' of Blue Jeans MJC Belden RCA -> TRS, for a little over $50.

The locking Neutrik NJF36 TRS jack is the beefiest I've ever seen on a headphone cable. They could easily put a fancy jacket it on it, "cryo treat" it, and charge some ridiculous price.

70088610.jpg

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
That's good to know, I've heard other people say they found it to be better than the other amps they had, was always suspicious, but if the less than 1 ohm is true then it could well be very true.

As a headphone amp, I would rate it not quite as dynamic as my (0.1 ohm output impedance, capable of 20V output) ADI-2 Pro, but a lot cleaner than my Schiit Mjolnir 2 hybrid SS/tube amp.

It's a lot more detailed than the Schiit Mjolnir 2, where the noise floor is higher. I'd put both the Devialet and ADI on par in this respect. Both get adequately loud. The difference is in macro dynamics, where I find the ADI to be better. But on average-low DR music, this doesn't really matter as much.

It's more than "good enough" for me to enjoy when I can't listen to the speakers (too late at night, for example).

If I listened exclusively to headphones*, I'd probably want something better....but if that was the case, I probably wouldn't own the Devialet in the first place.

*caveat for electrostats, which even if only used from time to time, need special snowflake amps

Memoryerror

Forum Donor
Have you thought of measuring Cat 5e or Cat 6? I have loads of it around, but don't know if it would do well as speaker wire, or even interconnects.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It will work OK for short runs as speaker wire. For typical unbalanced interconnects, use something coaxial.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Have you thought of measuring Cat 5e or Cat 6? I have loads of it around, but don't know if it would do well as speaker wire, or even interconnects.
Cat6 cable is 23 gauge wire. If you combine four of the wires for positive and four for negative, each one will have the equivalent gauge of 17. So it will be quite insufficient for much length of speaker wire.

Memoryerror

Forum Donor
Cat6 cable is 23 gauge wire. If you combine four of the wires for positive and four for negative, each one will have the equivalent gauge of 17. So it will be quite insufficient for much length of speaker wire.
Thanks. I found a calculator because my next question was what about eight, but I guess I would have to use twelve wires together. Running three to each speaker, or taking them out of the sheeths and bundling them together, probably not the best of ideas.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
What about balanced XLR?

If you're careful about the wire pairing, it will work, but good quality conventional balanced mike cable is more flexible, better shielded, and quite inexpensive.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What about balanced XLR?
To what end??
Purpose designed speaker and interconnect wires from reputable manufacturers are going to supply the best performance for the intended job.
Joining together a bunch of fine cat cables wires can have no positive effects for speaker signal transfer, and quite possibly some negatives such as shorts or failures from breakage of many fine connections. For the purpose of redundancy I've seen it sometimes recommended to use Canre star quad cable for speaker hookups but IMO that's as far as that line of thinking should be taken.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
As my current speaker cables have 19 strands of 18 AWG (more or less) wire in them, I'm not concerned with them breaking, though they might break something else.

1540963433135.png

SPECIFICATIONS

Southwire SIMpull THHN® or THWN-2 or MTW (also AWM) comply with:
· ASTM - B3, B8 (7,19, 37, 61 Strands), B 787 (19 Wire Combination Unilay Strand)
· UL Standard 83, 1581, and 1063(MTW)
· T90 Nylon/TWN75 sizes through 1000 kcmil CSA C22.2 No. 75
· NOM-ANCE 90° C · Federal Specification A-A-59544
· National Electrical Code, NFPA 70· VW-1 - Sizes 14 through 1 AWG
· CT rated in sizes 1/0 AWG and larger
· FT1

Top Bottom