• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Whats your opinions ion on Ifi hip-dac?

domijack281

Especially for 90% use of desktop setting at home with planar magnetic headphones under $500 Is it enough or just ok enough but could benefit more from desktop amps.

for example, with Sundara, I noticed they get plenty loud at low volume 10o clock but may still lack some bass until you turn on xbass or turn up volume but them midrange and highs may sound a lot louder.
I consider adding Zen CAN and use hip-dac as DAC. I contacted iFi if it’s optimal since it lacks pre-amp outputs, but as long as turn up volume at least to 3 o’clock they should output clean signal.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, the Sundara measurements in this forum indicate somewhat low bass in the headphones. The impedance is flat and not particularly low or high, so I imagine if the volume is OK use some EQ in your source to improve the bass. I doubt using another amp will improve the bass a noticable amount.

OP
D

domijack281

Thanks,

Some sources say that planar magnetic do benefit more from more powerful amps but not due to higher voltage but current, in that it can improve bass, soundstage and imaging.
Although it’s not always power but also design of amp that has influence.

Sundara are little less sensitive than some other planar magnetic headphones at just 93dB.

Hip-dac has no issue driving them loud at low volume th. Applying software EQ or xbass do provide useful boost in bass region.

Of course spending more on dac and amp than headphones themselves seems little absurd to me. I think I would rather upgrade to Ananda or Arya before getting dac/amp stack for >$400.

Some insist they hear difference and improvement after getting Zen CAN. But then you get sources that all they recommend for lower end planar magnetic headphones like Sundara just good portable dac/amps such as hip-dac or Cobalt.

Top Bottom