• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's your media storage like?

captain paranoia

I've got some paper tape. It's fun to show the new grads...

Then again, I have a piece of string on my keyring that is older than the grads. And that was secondhand when I acquired it...

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Simple solution but it works: the internal 1TB drive that Apple's contractor packed into our Mac mini, with a network backup. The internal drive is only used for storage. The OS and software run on an external Thunderbolt interface SSD. Compared to opening up the machine and changing the internal drive the external drive was more expensive in parts. Adding in my billable rate it ended up being much cheaper to buy than build.

All of our stored music is 2-channel Apple Lossless, except for a few things my wife bought on iTunes, so 1TB is adequate. I haven't figured out how to burn SACD and DVD-A, nor is it clear to me that there's a no-fuss playback system. So multichannel is still played on disks.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I've got a 1 tb hard drive for backup, 400gb and a 512gb micro sds for playback on two DAPs. Think I'm up to over 20,000 lossless files, but can't tell for sure what the number is. The two micro sd cards are mostly redundant, with a few of the more recent files on the bigger micro sd card. Blows my mind that so much music fits on something smaller than one of my fingernails.

Top Bottom