• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's your media storage like?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Synology DS918+, 4 x HGST 4TB Deskstar NAS HDD for storage and 2 x Intel 760p series NVMe PCIe M.2 128GB SDD for cache.

1.05TB in flac and dsf files. MY CD collection is in boxes in the garage. I also own several hundred LPs.

Martin

GokieKS

File server running Ubuntu Server LTS and ZoL with 20 disks in 3 RAID-Z2 vdevs (currently 6x8TB + 6x6TB + 8x3TB). Automated monthly scrubbing, custom script to adjust backplane fan speed via IPMI based on HDD temperatures, and email notifications for changes in zpool status.

esm

Forum Donor
As of 19-Nov-2022:

Synology DS2419+ with (currently) 8x 16TB drives in Synology's hybrid raid configuration plus a couple of SSDs for caching, 4x 1G bonded ethernet. NFS- and SMB-shared around the network as needed.

I used to build my own storage gear, but the price point (and turnkey convenience) for this kind of kit is so good these days that it's hardly worth the effort rolling my own anymore, especially when it's all just Linux under the hood anyway. I have some gripes about Synology's OS, but it's all minor, and none of it matters if I treat the box as an appliance and resist the urge to run any services on it. ;)

I rip all of the physical media I own to reduce wear and tear: FLAC for audio (rhythmbox makes this ridiculously straightforward), and matroska for most video (using makemkv), with decrypted BD backups for 4K Dolby Vision content (since there's no spec for storing DV content in mkv) (scratch that, now I just use the Shield TV, see below).

I use Musicbrainz Picard for audio metadata, and everything is indexed by Jellyfin (which provides metadata scraping for movies and TV series, as well as multiuser view tracking, transcoding ,etc).

For playback, it's mostly Kodi (specifically, a build with support for Dolby Vision) on a 2019 Nvidia Shield TV and Infuse on a 4K AppleTV right now, with random other clients (anything from official Jellyfin clients to VLC to playing over the network on the Oppo UDP-205) depending on the device I'm using and the source I'm pulling from.

Last edited:

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I scrubbed a week ago. I should scrub weekly.
FWIW, I scrub my SSD pool weekly but not my mechanical. After several years of scrubs with 0 repairs, I saw little reason to put all that extra load on the HDs. If I do encounter future errors, I'll increase the frequency until the issue's resolved. YMMV.

nugget

Forum Donor
8x10TB RaidZ2 in a FreeNAS Mini XL+ backed up to Backblaze B2 using rclone. All CDs are ripped to Apple Lossless and the physical media is in boxes in my guest bedroom closet.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I keep them in racks made of Bubinga Wood.

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW, I scrub my SSD pool weekly but not my mechanical. After several years of scrubs with 0 repairs, I saw little reason to put all that extra load on the HDs. If I do encounter future errors, I'll increase the frequency until the issue's resolved. YMMV.
I've had errors fixed. Probably all due to the bad drive slowly getting worse over the years. That's probably why the drive eventually got booted.

I almost bought new drives this year, but I like the cheap way since I have the drive bays.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
4 DIY cabinets with combined storage for 480 CDs, ~1300 LPs, 180 cassettes and the equipment on top
2 DIY speaker stands with storage for 150 CDs each
A few hundred CD's more spread over several racks and boxes all over the living room:(
1 TB files (flac, mp3, wav, ...) on Linux-PC, backup on 2 external 6 TB hard disks

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

TimF

Forum Donor
After a few SSD drives as backup I went through my cd's and threw away one-third of them, and for the rest I threw away all the plastic cases and now I kept the cd's in a few plastic storage boxes in the cellar.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
6.9Tb of RAID SAS on my 32 core dual Xeon sever. Backed up to MS One Drive (multiple free one drive user accounts with office 365 package)

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
6.9Tb of RAID SAS on my 32 core dual Xeon sever. Backed up to MS One Drive (multiple free one drive user accounts with office 365 package)

I'm rocking a dual core i3 2100T. And I never strain it.

captain paranoia

My media only changes when I rip new CDs. So a conventional backup process works just fine, without needing RAID. My media is not mission-critical: I can survive a few days loss of service if my single-disk NAS goes down, and I have to replace it and restore from backup.

Simple backups are stored off-site (my desk at work). So I have protection against fire, theft & flood.

I keep copies of new rips on my ripping machine until I do a backup of the NAS, so the ripping effort is protected against NAS failure between backups. My exposure to fire, theft, flood etc, is thus limited to those new rips.

Hardware is two WD MyCloud single bay Gen1, about 5 years old now. One is still using its 4TB WD Red. I recently upgraded the other (originally 2TB) with a 6TB WD/HGST Ultrastar I bought 2nd hand, with 8 hours on the clock, for £80.

I have a dual SATA caddy coming soon, to make use of the spare drives I have lying around...

Last edited:

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Music is on a 2x10TB mirror in 1 linux server and everything is backed up to another 8x6tb ZFS array on another server. I backup some critical files in a possibly secure cloud.

From time to time (twice a year) i make another backup on 1x10TB disk that i put in another house to reduce exposure to fire or theft.

captain paranoia

I used to build my own storage gear, but the price point (and turnkey convenience) for this kind of kit is so good these days

I bought both my MyClouds for less than the cost of the Red drives they contain...

Top Bottom