• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's your headphone system end game?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I really want something that sounds just perfect without eqing. Er4 is close enough, me and my friend had developed an improved version upon er4b but they all require deep insertion (later became moondrop reference 2 CIEM). Currently the moondrop chaconne is almost perfect with slightly 8khz bump and doesn't go very deep in bass (as good as open backs already).
Electronics wise, probably end game is coming or has come???A90, D90? Maybe there's still room for improvements in DAC. And the single ended dual mono connection may be better than shared ground single end and balanced. Or perhaps fully balanced throughout?

Last edited:

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Focal Utopia probably.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I’m 100% satisfied with my current, humble collection:
  • JDS Labs Element II
  • RME Babyface Pro
  • Focal Elex (for focused listening and pleasure)
  • HD58X (an alternative to the Elex for casual listening)
  • DT1990 Pro (for mixing and mastering)
  • ATH-M50X (for live performance and tracking)
My portable setup:
  • iPhone into FiiO BTR5
  • FiiO FH5
I‘m curious to try out the Audeze LCD-X....

PolkFan

Forum Donor
Atom(Magi 3 Heresy)+E30 DAC is really amazing for the money and close to the end game for anyone to notice anything different.

Headphones however are a WHOLE different discussion currently own DT770's and AKG K7XX.

Like having a closed and open back pair of headphones for obvious reasons

Crazy what we can get for under $500-$1000 some spend more then that on audio cables alone lol

Ntrax

Audio Company
Topping D90
Monoprice THX887
Audeze LCD 2 Classic Fazor Modded with Auteur Perforated Pads
Screenshot_20200420-195753.jpg
IMG_20200420_164154__01.jpg
IMG_20200421_223231__01__01__01.jpg

Last edited:
OP
C

Celty

Stepped up my amplifier options with a new to me tube baby - an Oblivion by Ultrasonic Studios. Chances are you are not familiar with this, as it is a custom amp builder from Sweden.

It is not a typical design: "The topology of Oblivion is transformer coupled (parafeed) balanced amp with open loop (no NFB). SE input stage with balanced CCS loaded source followers that drives the output tube grids. The grid drivers relieves the input tubes of any drive duty. Tubes do voltage amplification and FET’s supply current. Tubes do what they do best and FETs do what they do best. "

It is the opposite of many tube amps in that exotic "tube rolling" is not necessary to get the best results.

10346253.jpeg

It's due to arrive Monday, so I am exited.

hyp

Meze Empyreans sound phenomenal and are the most comfortable headphones I've tried. That paired with the Topping D90, A90 stack is endgame for me. But I'm already pretty satisfied with my Stax L700 + 353x setup

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I'm going to post again in this topic my personal preference, I just realised I missed something:
- Over the ear: Audeze LCD-2F (fast bass & powerful, good imaging, detailed trebles).
- On ear: Beats Solo2 (extremely neutral with a totally flat bass, very good detailing, way different than most Beats I've heard).
- IEM: KZ ZXS (I like the bass, trebles are also good, I get a very good fit).
- Wireless (over the ear): BOSE QC35ii (when ANC is involved the built-in EQ is adjusting these cans to become neutral, so I totally like this).

pluplog

I'm happy with mine:

Topping E30 to Nuforce HA-200 to Audeze LCD-2F / Ety ER4SR / MrSpeakers Mad Dogs (with EQ depending on my listening mood).

MSTARK

Not sure exactly what “end game” means (as this silly chase never ends), however. If it’s something that gives you enormous music reproduction pleasure, quality and pride of ownership (without looking for upgrades anytime soon)? Then my current setup (headphone or speaker stereo) is where it’s at.
Not going to mention all headphones and little amps but just the ones I really like or use it daily (from most to least fav).

Audeze LCDX (not all day cans)
Aeon 2 Close (debatable as these are crazy comfortable)
Then
Stax Lambda Pro system (vintage)
Fostex TH-X00 Mahogany Massdrop

....and most abused/beat up
Sennheiser HD700

Amp- Dragon Inspire IHA1
+ some entry level common brands SS & Tube amps
DAC
Reference
PS Audio streamer/dac
For testing
Wyred4Sound (old but clean)
2nd system
Topping D50 (new cutie with impressive features for its size)

In the future....?
Maybe one of new Stax offerings and LTA - Z10E integrated electrostatic headphone and speaker amp. Very expensive but enough power to drive my main 102db speakers.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Like @Doodski said, the Sennheiser HD820.

Would be driven by a Benchmark HPA4.

I'd also like an HD800S. Haven't decided on an endgame planar.
I'd have an MA element X, benchmark hpa4 (so I could compare and contrast the two amps, cos why not) fed by Roon streaming. All my existing cans plus I think the lcd 4 for planar and maybe the Utopia or Clear for DD.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I'd have an MA element X, benchmark hpa4 (so I could compare and contrast the two amps, cos why not) fed by Roon streaming. All my existing cans plus I think the lcd 4 for planar and maybe the Utopia or Clear for DD.
What kind of setup do you have right now?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What kind of setup do you have right now?

Too many HP- HD800 and LCD X probably at the top of the tree.

SMSL M500 as main DAC, Geshelli Erish and Archel 2.5 and a THX 789 (I like experimenting). An old Heed Canamp for some very fizzy class A fun. A Schiit Mjolnir which is a proper beast.

Way too many of all components , but its a hobby as I cant have speakers.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Too many HP- HD800 and LCD X probably at the top of the tree.

SMSL M500 as main DAC, Geshelli Erish and Archel 2.5 and a THX 789 (I like experimenting). An old Heed Canamp for some very fizzy class A fun. A Schiit Mjolnir which is a proper beast.

Way too many of all components , but its a hobby as I cant have speakers.
Holy.

I'm in a similar position after having moved.

I'd like to get one of the LCD series at some point. Whenever I've tried one I liked what I heard.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Holy.

I'm in a similar position after having moved.

I'd like to get one of the LCD series at some point. Whenever I've tried one I liked what I heard.

Bloody cat issues here. I say the LCD 4 because I love the LCD X and , y'know , flagship and all that. TBH, If I was wiser I could probably stretch to a second hand LCD3 which gets many folks' vote as their best. I suspect we both know anything "better" than what we have already is only ever going to be different in reality. And in the case of the Benchmark, probably far more about the psychological than audible benefits. Until they release an HPA5 :facepalm:

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm more than happy with my Topping D50s/JDS Atom set up. To be honest if I was buying today I'd probably save some money and go for the E30/L30 combination.

As for the headphones, that's a different matter. I currently use HD-600 but would love to upgrade to HD800.

Top Bottom