• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's your headphone system end game?

GokieKS

Dream (i.e. completely unrealistic) endgame: original Sennheiser Orpheus.

Actual (realistic) endgame: RME ADI-2 DAC FS (already own), Benchmark HPA4 (currently own a THX AAA 789, so... close enough, really), Sennheiser HD 800 S (probably will be the next headphone I buy).

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Headphones: Audeze LCD X and Sennheiser Hd 800 SD Mod
DAC: Use 2 channels from an OCTO 8 Pro, use remaining 6 channels for 5.1 speaker surround sound.
Amp: THX AAA 789
Processor: Smyth Realiser A16

I currently have 4 of 5 components. And when I acquire no 5, I'm done, possibly forever.

Last edited:

Siwel

Forum Donor
I'm content with my LCD-X. I have AKG 701s and other assorted AKGs and ATs but since the LCD-X I don't much listen to them unless I'm being casual. I have a Pre Box S2 and as the Audezes are so easy to drive they stay out of the amplifier's noise. I'd like to audition a Bartok at some point but if all I do is add a more suitable amp, that would do. Headphones are not my main squeeze in audio but they are fun and these cans can play very sweetly if the music is there. .

THW

Forum Donor
am content with my HD 600 and Topping DX3 Pro combo that I have for over a year and a half now, not planning to buy any more unless either of them break down so I guess I have reached my "end game".

i simply cannot justify the expense incurred from replacing perfectly functioning components for something that I know will probably provide at most marginal gains in performance.

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In headphones, I currently have the Focal Clear as my main, and I'm pretty happy with it. the only upgrade would be the Focal Utopia. I also have Audeze LCD2C as a secondary when I want that deep planar bass, and I don't think there is anywhere better to go there (I didn't like most of the higher-end audeze).

I would like to have the RME ADI-2 DAC as a combo DAC, headphone amp, and pre-amp for my speakers. It would single-handedly replace (and outperform) every other device I have, which is nice.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally heard the Raal SR1a with Benchmark DAC3 + Jotunheim R and Raal HSA-1a (note that the RAAL interface is not part of the chain). No doubt in my subjective preferences that this is my HP endgame. A/Bed between the Jotunheim R and the Raal HSA-1a sighted and not much difference. I definitely wouldn't pass a proper DBT ABX between the two amps, but the HSA-1a is definitely louder of the two amps

IMG_1730.JPG

bequietjk

I want to hear T60rp soooo baddd. My T50rpmk3 has a weird clipping sound in the right channel with deep bass :[

Incursio

I want to hear T60rp soooo baddd. My T50rpmk3 has a weird clipping sound in the right channel with deep bass :[

Go for it! Technicalities and comparisons with other headphones aside, the T60RPs allow me to get into the music.

"It's like a finger pointing to the moon. Focus on the finger, and you will miss all the heavenly glory." ;)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I have the HD650 and use the headphone outs on a Benchmark DAC2 HGC.

EQ is available in the digital chain before the DAC, but not considered necessary.

Volume is set there too - usually I attenuate the digital signal by 10 to 20dB.

That, for me, is endgame, for the foreseeable future.

---

Ok, my headphone extension cable has a poor connection at the female end, so I may replace that sometime.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Finally heard the Raal SR1a with Benchmark DAC3 + Jotunheim R and Raal HSA-1a (note that the RAAL interface is not part of the chain). No doubt in my subjective preferences that this is my HP endgame. A/Bed between the Jotunheim R and the Raal HSA-1a sighted and not much difference. I definitely wouldn't pass a proper DBT ABX between the two amps, but the HSA-1a is definitely louder of the two amps

View attachment 52278

They are indeed very special headphones.

But interestingly, the people who are most impressed by them are those who have had some time with quality speaker systems. I've heard some lukewarm responses from people who have only used headphones and earphones.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are indeed very special headphones.

But interestingly, the people who are most impressed by them are those who have had some time with quality speaker systems. I've heard some lukewarm responses from people who have only used headphones and earphones.

Indeed. I am primarily listening through near field speakers as I have probably mentioned this many times on my post history and this is the only headphone that to my preferences gives that perceived speaker listening impression. The only other headphone that is on the same level to me is the Dan Audio Voce played through BHSE with Alps RK50 pot option. It's my 2nd choice if I wanted e-stats, but Raal has proven to me that I can get that e-stat + a hint of near field speaker experience in one package. Had a good time listening to both setups that day and cost no object, I'd get both setup since there are still subjective tradeoffs between the two headphone listening experience

IMG_1732.JPG

Asylum Seeker

I have several headphones such as the Oppo PM3, Aeon Closed, HE400i, SR80e, M40x, M60x, etc...and I stopped buying headphones when I discovered the mega cheap Senfer (xba 6in1, UES pro) and Zero Audio (Zirco line) IEM. They are not completely replacing my headphones but I really stopped buying stuff after that.
I hear you. For me the epiphany came with the Tin T3 IEM. No more buying headphones for the foreseeable future.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
My T50rpmk3 has a weird clipping sound in the right channel with deep bass :[

I had the exact same problem.
Removed the driver and loosened the screws so the membrane was loose, then tightened the screws on the driver again.

repair.png

The membrane is thick and heavy anyway and seemed to have been over-tensioned.
It doesn't need tensioning though (unlike stats and thin membrane planars) so loosening the screws holding the 2 driver halves together isn't a problem. I had to do it 3x to get the desired result. Still wasn't as good as the right driver but at least the audible distortion was lowered a lot.
Sold it for a very low price 2 weeks later.

Last edited:
OP
C

Celty

What I was lacking was a decent set of IEM's for mobile use - got the Moondrop Starfield today and have been giving them an initial run through. I have tried them with both my SU-8 / 887 desktop setup and my nothing special Moto G6 phone. Very pleased, particularly that the phone source sounds great with no dongles or external amping / dongle additions. For the price of $109.99, I am impressed with the sound quality - very balanced with surprising bass, mids, and treble response and excellent sounstage.

Asylum Seeker

End-game-ish. Moksha is near.

Attachments

• 20200313_085654.jpg
    20200313_085654.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 133
Top Bottom