• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's your headphone system end game?

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't know about end game but I currently have Sennheiser HD800 which I like very much both for comfort and sound.

I haven't tried any electrostats recently and I intend to have a listen to Stax at some stage. Whether paying that sort of money plus buying an energiser is worth the improvement in sound is what I need to find out but I'm doubtful.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Am I the only one only using closed headphones (since I use speakers at home)? I can only think of the Shure 1540 to replace my Beyerdynamic DT250, right now; unless another good headphone with velour earpads pops up.

JMC

I already have it, Google Chromecast or Squeezebox Touch feeding Topping DX7 Pro with Drop Sennheister HD6xx.

Is there a system that measures or sounds better than that? Probably not in any way that matters and the whole thing cost me less than a thousand bucks. Speaking as a recovering audifool who has run systems that cost more than a premium car I am absoutely delighted with this combination.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have mine.
For on the go I think my phone and noise cancelling ear buds are as good as it effectively gets on the bus since they are neither bulky nor heavy so enjoyable. Carrying more would be daft when I wouldn't be able to hear the improvement because of the environment.
In my study I have an ADI 2-pro and a choice of different sounding headphones, AKG Q701, AKG Q90, Verum 1 and ZMF Eikon, chosen to taste.
In y music room I nearly always listen to speakers though I do sometimes plug the same choice of headphones into my laptop or SMSL M9

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am very happy with my current headphones. I have Etymotic ER4 SR IEMs which are superb for travelling and provide an excellent accurate and neutral sound. For over ear headphones the Denon D7200 and Sony MDR Z7 are both superbly made (the tactile feel and general impression of build quality shame headphones costing an awful lot more) with an enjoyable bass emphasised but not silly bass heavy signature. My Audio Technica ATH MSR 7 gives me a slightly bright but extremely revealing headphone, one which punches way above its modest price and shows you don't have to spend much to get great headphone sound. And my Oppo PM-2 gives me a terrific all rounder which again has a fantastic feel of quality. And I still have my old Sennheiser HD580.

That is way more headphones than I need and even when I try exotic statement headphones I don't find any worthwhile improvements and in many cases prefer what I already have. I do think the AKG N90Q points to the future, but I think the future will be wireless. The N90Q performs very well and the concept of a system headphone mirrors the way speakers have been evolving. Just as with speakers, I think the mass market consumer segment is probably a better pointer to the future than the audiophile niche.

For amplifiers I use a JDS Atom which offers far more power than I use and transparent performance. I am happy to just use the onboard DACs of my devices which sound fine to me.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I have mine as well. Any source that gives me 256kbps or better sound into a Topping D10 and then a Liquid Spark amp to Hifiman HE-400i headphones. Pretty crazy good sound afaic and I can't imagine needing more.

For on the go listening I run a little Fiio DAP into a Fiio BTR1k bluetooth amp and then either my Takstar Pro82 headphones or any number of cheap earbuds I have from Aliexpress. Names like Panda PK2, Faael, Yincrow, EMX500s, Vido...they sound so damn good and none cost more than about $20 for a set!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Happy with many different headphones that I could easily settle for but new ones keep coming out and affordable gems may be among them changing the odds. I have a spending limit as well.

darko

Forum Donor
I'm very happy with my topping nx4 dsd driving either the drop he4xx or akg 712 pro and for mobile fun I use the audeze sine with vesper audio over ear pads. this should keep me happy for a few years.

shuri

EQ'd decent quality pair from a clean source (Beyer 990 Pro from a UR22C :)). Mostly bound to night listening.

izr9gt5.png

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Am I the only one only using closed headphones (since I use speakers at home)?
I have a set of Sony MDR-7509HD from quite a while ago. Haven't used them since I got into speakers though...

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I have few AKG at home, but Q701 is my favorite. I do not want to spend a lot on something new, I feel guilty when I listen music alone, I prefer to listen wy speakers and share music with family.

Anyway I pay attention to not spend too much time with the headphone listening loud.

Gus141

My endgame is for closed/semi-closed headphone setup that I can use when I don’t want to bother anyone (so not using openbacks).

I’m not at endgame yet: RME ADI-2 DAC, Sony MDR-Z1R, 5 PEQ bands used to dial in the Harman Around Ear Curve for the Z1Rs, and using the built in amp of the RME. Portable system is NX4 DSD into Sony MDR-1A and MDR-1AM2.

Dream system: dCS Bartok w/ headphone amp, Focal Stellia

Future system(?): I’m hoping RME updates the ADI-2 Pro with dual AKM AK4499 and IR remote capabilities; or, a new version of the ADI-2 DAC with AK4499, and some more inputs (especially an AES/EBU input with an XLR connector) feeding a Benchmark HPA4.

TechnoMax

Regarding a headphone "system" I do not care that much about the gear to feed the headphones. My Topping DAC plus a JDS Atom as amp are enough for me. But I "need" an endgame closed headphone. Dan Clark's new AEON Flow 2 Closed could be the one, but of course I have not heard it yet. But I have not heard my other favourite, the Focal Elegia, yet either.

gikigill

HE-6/HD800/JH16 and STAX SR-5 Gold is my current setup.

Pulse xfi, BH S.E.X, iFi Black Label iMicro, Beta 22/AMB M3, M9XX is my current amp/dac setup

Gus141

Regarding a headphone "system" I do not care that much about the gear to feed the headphones. My Topping DAC plus a JDS Atom as amp are enough for me. But I "need" an endgame closed headphone. Dan Clark's new AEON Flow 2 Closed could be the one, but of course I have not heard it yet. But I have not heard my other favourite, the Focal Elegia, yet either.
Totally agree. Although I do love researching & upgrading source and DAC gear, the elusive endgame closed headphone is the real quest. I need to audition the new AEON 2 Closed. Great price if the audio quality matches my tastes. The reviews have been great. One could buy 3 AEON2s for every Stellia.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Right now, I'm dreaming of a combo of the Massdrop iteration of the Sennheiser 5XX with a Fiio M11 Pro.

Went to a Stereophile show about 20 years ago, was using Stax Earspeakers with the tube powered energizer at the time, thought that was fancy. Crazy [sometimes crazy good as well] headgear at that show, some at least three times more expensive than my gear. So I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as an "endgame" as the target continues to move forward.

And meanwhile, I dream of something I would own if only . . .

bequietjk

Headamp: Neurochrome HP1 or Vioelectric V281
DAC: SONCOZ SGD1 or Okto8

With the V281 I would probably use it with the hood off. Just like this. Or have custom acrylic panels made for it... Yeah, probably acrylic panels.
1577499491653.png

Any mix of those and I'm goooooooood. I couldn't choose an endgame headphone. With a hardware chain of this beastly caliber I would most likely stick with it for at least a decade and pursue the endless headphone pursuit, always trying new headphones.

Settling right now with THX 789/Bottlehead Crack + ENOG2. At this moment in time I could consider my HD600 'endgame'. Very enjoyable with most material.

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
@solderdude I hope DIY Audio Heaven gets its hands on the Aeon 2 Closed. I find myself recently relying a lot on the comprehensive measurements you publish.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have access to the AEON2 closed and quite a few other new headphones (alas no AKG) but are simply lacking the time to go there and measure them. Curious about it myself.

Top Bottom