• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Whats your favorite Music App for Android?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
You process the signal the best you can on the cheap and with SMP affinity and that's 64 bit FP (right now). Then you pack it back to more meaningful integer (24 bits) and feed the DAC.

alpha_logic

I run a docker container using plex; all my files are streamed from there, and I don't use any other streaming services.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Read the article referencing Bob Stuarts test where they describe how the resampling itself degraded the sound quality. I think the point is to avoid it when it's not necessary. Which for our purposes is always.

From my personal experience the biggest difference is the sound levels. Resampled music coming out of my Android phone or FireTV stick at a fixed 48khz is much quieter and clearly altered compared to sending the same file to my reciever from the same streaming service (my Plex server, Spotify, Tidal) via its own dedicated internet connection.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Read the article referencing Bob Stuarts test where they describe how the resampling itself degraded the sound quality. I think the point is to avoid it when it's not necessary. Which for our purposes is always.

From my personal experience the biggest difference is the sound levels. Resampled music coming out of my Android phone or FireTV stick at a fixed 48khz is much quieter and clearly altered compared to sending the same file to my reciever from the same streaming service (my Plex server, Spotify, Tidal) via its own dedicated internet connection.
If it's square to base it doesn't charge anything (if it's not then it's broken). I whosent talking about that but 64 bit FP processing of digital signal for alteration and then rounding it back down to 24 bit integer. Regarding frequency range you can disregard more than a wide band in most cases regarding what you will be able to hear.

Last edited:

alpha_logic

So you are using plexamp ?

I think that's also not bitperfect
No, the plex app from android/ios, and direct play from chrome over plex web on my workstation; both are bitperfect.
Screenshot_20220130_025721.png

Last edited:

Jon wise

I'm looking for a player that can use tidal for casting to google chromecast audio with eq, Does Uapp do this and if so is it dependant on the android version that the phone supports?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm looking for a player that can use tidal for casting to google chromecast audio with eq, Does Uapp do this and if so is it dependant on the android version that the phone supports?
It does. Its a bit sluggish but works. No idea about phone dependancy.

norcalscott

Forum Donor
It does. Its a bit sluggish but works. No idea about phone dependancy.
I've found casting from UAPP to be hit or miss. It usually starts and does OK for a few songs then it pauses play randomly between songs. I hope the dev will continue to improve it.

fuzzy_logic

Plexamp for me. Was using it for my own Plex server library, but recently started a trial with Tidal, and the ability to add albums from Tidal to my library is an absolute game changer for me.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Plexamp for me. Was using it for my own Plex server library, but recently started a trial with Tidal, and the ability to add albums from Tidal to my library is an absolute game changer for me.
Plexamp has the prettiest UI out there IMO. But I think Plex should step their game up when it comes to tags/metadata. No multiple values, composer tags etc. Browsing collaborative album, featured artists, classical music is terrible.

Top Bottom