• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's Your Favorite Cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

witchdoctor

I see two distinct cable crowds, the "electricians" who believe a plug is just a plug and a wire is just a wire. Then I see "connoisseurs" who have spent big bucks, tried some different vendors, and settled on a choice that was right for them that wasn't "lamp cord".
So, my favorite cables are:

Analog Interconnects- Mogami XLR Gold Quad Core (lifetime guaranteed)
Power Cables- Virtual Dynamics
Digital IC- Mapleshade
Speaker Cable-Mapleshade
HDMI- Pangea

I have also tried Signal Cable IC but preferred Mogami.
In the world of cables I don't think any of these are "expensive" other than the power cords
Anyone else like to share? If you like $$$$ cables or lamp cord, it is all good.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Whatever cable that is cheap and works. If you are looking for brands, then Amazon Basic, Cable Matters, Monoprice, Kabeldirekt, stuff like that.
I have some pricier XLR and RCA cables I am using, because Apos Audio included them with my amp & DAC combos.

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Keith

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I see two distinct cable crowds, the "electricians" who believe a plug is just a plug and a wire is just a wire. Then I see "connoisseurs" who have spent big bucks, tried some different vendors, and settled on a choice that was right for them that wasn't "lamp cord".
Could I have more bias in that introduction, please?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
One that doesn't suck money out of my pocket, and into a snake oil peddler's.

Until any of these peddlers can do more than simply claim these fantastic improvements, by demonstrating them through controlled tests, I'll keep my money in my pocket.

If folks like them for whatever jewelery types of reasons they may have, that's different. They won't do the job of carrying the 'music' better than any other properly spec'd cable.

That said, blue jeans makes a pretty nice, if not cheapo cable. Not sure I'd personally want more than that.

Last edited:
OP
witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Mogami Gold Studio XLR Cables
I love my Mogamis. I had a 20 ft long Mogami XLR that was cut in half by accident, I took it to Guitar Center and they gave me a replacement on the spot, no questions asked because of the Mogami lifetime guarantee. I didn't even need to bring in a receipt.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I just buy pro grade stuff:

Belden, Canare, etc.

In whatever configuration (e.g. star quad) is appropriate for the use case.

I'll spend extra to have nice terminations, done on somebody else's time (as opposed to doing it myself).

Aesthetically, I like colors and sizes that don't stand out.

I'm not into the visual of having giant garden hoses running across my floor.

OP
witchdoctor

witchdoctor

I just buy pro grade stuff:

Belden, Canare, etc.

In whatever configuration (e.g. star quad) is appropriate for the use case.

I'll spend extra to have nice terminations, done on somebody else's time (as opposed to doing it myself).

Aesthetically, I like colors and sizes that don't stand out.

I'm not into the visual of having giant garden hoses running across my floor.

I have long IC's running to the back of the Home Theater as well as HDMI to my PJ, all thin. My Power cords are monsters, very inflexible but
short so I can deal with it.
Nite.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never bought a cable, "interconnect." I was a insider that got everything for heavy discount, free or won in contests.

30 Ounce

XLR Canare L-4E6S and Kimber Hero
RCA Blue Jeans LC-1
Speaker Kimber 12TC
Power cables diy Belden 83803

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Nice a new troll on cables :)

I recently purchased a RME ADI 6432 that gives me 64 AES channels ins and out. I have a fair amount of microphone cables that works as microphone cables but failed to carry the AES signal.

My question is: which one are supposed to work?

I have dirt cheap one from Thomann that are failing. Normal pro cables from Cordial are all working.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
If folks like them for whatever jewelery types of reasons they may have, that's different. They won't do the job of carrying the 'music' better than any other properly spec'd cable.

I have no problem paying for audio jewelry and admitting it.

I just don't find cables sexy.

Nor do I know any normal, non-audiophile people who do, either.

That said, blue jeans makes a pretty nice, if not cheapo cable. Not sure I'd personally want more than that.

Blue Jeans is my default.

They're enough of a splurge that I feel good about the quality of construction, and the ones I own have held up perfectly over the years.

I've also had them make some very custom cables for me (e.g. RCA to headphone TRS) and been very happy with their work.

OP
witchdoctor

witchdoctor

The vendor that recommends 200-400 h ”burn in” for their power cables? So utterly ridiculous.
I don't know much about "burning in", I plugged that power cord in one time, immediately noticed an upgrade. It may have improved after 100 hours but i have no way to remember.

OP
witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Nice a new troll on cables :)

I recently purchased a RME ADI 6432 that gives me 64 AES channels ins and out. I have a fair amount of microphone cables that works as microphone cables but failed to carry the AES signal.

My question is: which one are supposed to work?

I have dirt cheap one from Thomann that are failing. Normal pro cables from Cordial are all working.
I'll answer your question. The ones that are "supposed" to work are the ones with the lifetime guarantee. If they fail you just exchange them. I know Mogami, Cardas and Shunyata all offer the guarantees but I assume there are others.

pma

Major Contributor
Analog SE link cable: RG-59 coaxial cable (EMI shielding, low shield impedance)
Analog balanced cable: Tasker TSK 1034 - professional flexible microphone cable
Power cable: Shielded power cord for best results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom