• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's your dream system?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
I'm not going to set a price limit, but keep it real, please.

Right now it would be D&D 8c's, some gadget to convert USB to the format they like, and a new computer that's more powerful than my NUC and doesn't depend on an external USB drive. I'm not going to spec out the computer here.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Neumann monitors, Rythmik subs, Benchmark preamp & DAC, and a real powerful computer. I guess that would be around $20k on the low end, depending mostly on the computer.

And a few hundred thou for a treated room, not factoring in the cost of real estate.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I had the space and money, Ino Audio i68es + infra-Y-12.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Dream System?

1567803316826.png

Could be a nightmare, who knows.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I honestly don't know. It is the sort of question that would probably elicit a different answer each time I answered it.

Possibly a Sony Esprit system professionally renewed and made like new.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At this point in time I am still dreaming but soon will awake and buld it.

I am now with the notion of two separate systems evenif in the same room. HT and 2-Channel.

Dream 2-channel ( I am vacillating):

Okto Research DAC-8
Hype or Purifi-based DIY amps .. 500 w/ch two channel
4 sealed Rythmik ( 2 - 15 inch sealed and 2 - 12 inch)
Revel Salon 2
PC for Roon , Tidal, Spotify, DRC, X-over, etc.

or ... or

Okoto Research DAC-8
8-channel DIY of Hypex N-Core 200wpc, need 8 Channels for this solution
Linkwitz LX 521.4 (Have never heard it but ... at the price, I can't go wrong)
PC ....

Of course I will use MIT cables with the Articulation Poles for the system......

For HT:

a PJ that is superior to my current , satisfying, inexpensive BenQ HT 2050A. I want 4K and much better shadow detail. Budget <$5K
12 Feet wide screen with variable Aspect ratio
IB Subwoofer with 4 x 18 inches drivers and 4000 watts of amplification
3 Ryhthmik or SVS or Seaton or Sealed 15 inches subwoofer in the room
Perhaps JBL LSR 708 for LCR.
4 x LSR 705 for Surround
A Pre/Pro with Balanced in and out...
A sublime remote to operate this in a simple manner and that won't cost more than $1000 (The operating word in this thread is "Dream")

I use to dream of much more expensive components and systems.. Have been there and have done that to an extent. I have been exposed regularly to many >$300K.. There have been exceptions but for the most part they have been disappointing.. Perhaps it is my biases linked to the expectation of greatness ... True I have heard some megabucks systems that sounded incredible but .. too many megabucks system sound lousy .. weak ... and lack PRaT :p.
ASR is showing us the way. a Great music or HT doesn't have to cost megabucks but it will require work and sadly a good deal of money even if you buy mostly used.
Peace

Robin L

Master Contributor
My dream all along has been High Resolution Headphone listening. Back in 1988 a co-producer for a radio series got me the Stax Electrostatic Earspeakers. "Signatures", as I recall, along with the same energizer/headphone amp Amirm uses. Thing was, at the time the options were LPs, CDs & Cassettes. LPs were the best option back then because DACS sounded pretty bad back then. By 1995 things improved with 20 bit converters available. The TC Electronics M2000 as a DAC sounded better than anything else laying around the house back then.

Since then it appears that digital gear grew up, then downsized. So I'm checking this site for clues as regards the best performing digital gear. I suspect, as good as my Stax headphones were then, there's better right now.
qmk4trnuppiqgx5llyww.jpg

If I fall into a bucket of money, I'm more interested in Martin D-28s and their ilk—"the closest approach to the original sound".

Cosmik

Major Contributor
For me it would be something like the original KEF 105s re-built with modern drivers and 'activated' with DSP, linear phase and all that. I wouldn't even need the sloping offset of the drivers because DSP could do that, but I have always lusted after those speakers.

I am 100% convinced that the active DSP route is so 'right' and so mundane in a way, that the amplifiers, DACs and even the drivers themselves are pretty much interchangeable. The only thing to get excited about (because the sound is guaranteed to be top notch) is the size, shape, veneer, and all-round audacity of a speaker that needs to be moved around on castors.

1567807107618.png

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Depends on what's the scope of your dream. If I had a castle or a mansion, I'd probably use something like the Genelec 1238, otherwise a pair of Genelec 8260 or the new 8361 with a reverse engineered GLM running on Plan 9, itself running on a libre RISC-V computer is probably a solid dream. Add to that a magical way of getting Ambisonics mixes for my favourite music and I probably overspent on my dream budget.

While I'm at it, make my living room anechoic.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So many speakers I'd like to sample, including Linkwitz LX521 and Mini, JBL LSR705, Genelec 8331, Seas Loki, KEF LS50 wireless...

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Depends on what's the scope of your dream. If I had a castle or a mansion....

I love thoughts like that.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Depends on what's the scope of your dream. If I had a castle or a mansion, I'd probably use something like the Genelec 1238, otherwise a pair of Genelec 8260 or the new 8361 with a reverse engineered GLM running on Plan 9, itself running on a libre RISC-V computer is probably a solid dream. Add to that a magical way of getting Ambisonics mixes for my favourite music and I probably overspent on my dream budget.

I usually get sick in anechoic rooms, so that would not be for me. :)

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
I would expect that @mitchco 's setup has awesome dynamic range and window rattling bass. I recall he uses Audiolense for the crossover.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I suspect a room that is anechoic except for, say, a carpeted floor might not be bad.

We don't seem to be concerned/confused/sickened with anechoic (except for the ground plane) outdoors conditions.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd dream of an OktoDAC with HDMI and USB inputs for a true Stereo + Mch system.
Oh, and maybe a JBL 4367...though I already have 1/3 of that:)

Top Bottom