• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Whats wrong with these XLS encore tweeters

ahl

I have received a XLS encore kit, cabinet yet to be done, crossover done, I started trying different cables separately for woofers and tweeters A-Bing them, I noticed one tweeter sounded different, initially I thought the cables are definitely making a huge difference, then I tried swapping the cables, now story was different I started noticing that one tweeter was producing slightly less upper low/mid frequencies , then I tried swapping channels and swapping crossovers, still story was same, that same 1 tweeter.

Then I put them on A and B and played test tone around 1khz or 1.2khz dont remember exactly. Started ABing the tweeters and it was like a Emergency siren, peee pooo.
can anybody help me figure out whats going on?

WARNING: high frequency audio in video, lower your volume before playing.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
One tweeter sounds like its voice coil has shifted and is touching the pole piece/s. May have shifted during transport if they were dropped.

Be very careful directly driving tweeters- they can only tolerate high frequencies and very low (a watt or two) powers. Extremely easy to damge/destroy.

Last edited:
OP
A

ahl

One tweeter sounds like it's voice coil has shifted and is touching the pole piece/s. May have shifted during transport if they were dropped.

Be very careful directly driving tweeters- they can only tolerate high frequencies and very low (a watt or two) powers. Extremely easy to damge/destroy.
no not driving them directly, crossover is installed. (if I understood your comment correctly). How sure are you about the voice coil being moved?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
How sure are you about the voice coil being moved?

Nobody can be sure of anything in a remote youtube 'test', but I've seen, heard and repaired enough tweeters to know it's quite likely. Drive each tweeter with a low level swept signal from the same amplifier channel to be sure.

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds as though you got a defective tweeter. In any case, would contact GR and Danny should know how to handle.

The tweeters are hard to find elsewhere. He should either send another or supply a inexpensive replacement.

Top Bottom