• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's wrong with my RME Audio Interface?

peniku8

Forum Donor
While doing some voltage calibrations today, I found out that the positive and the negative end of a balanced output on my RME Fireface UC do not output the same voltage. I measured 1.9V on one lead and 1.3 on the other (don't remember which was which, but I think the positive had a higher voltage).
I then recorded from both wires and also recorded a differential signal (which should sum to zero if I understand that correctly?).
Negative: -18.4dbFS; Positive: -15,9dbFS; Sum (Positive->Positive, Negative->Ground): -11.6dbFS

Signal generator was REW in ASIO mode, 1khz. Here is the waveform of the measurement across + and -

zdSFsuq.png

Am I missing something? If I understand the differential nature of balanced connections correctly, the signal should be mirrored, which should sum to zero, or just be twice the voltage of the individual channels, when measured differentially (since they should output the same voltage?).

MRC01

Major Contributor
... If I understand the differential nature of balanced connections correctly, the signal should be mirrored, which should sum to zero, or just be twice the voltage of the individual channels, when measured differentially (since they should output the same voltage?).
Yep, that's how it should work: sum is zero and difference is twice the + signal. Differencing them doubles the signal and cancels some noise & distortion. But if they aren't mirror images of each other then it wreaks havoc and simply doesn't work.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I don't think the differential signals are required to have any particular relationship to ground...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
There is obvious distortion visible too. What is your ground reference where you are measuring from? The 3rd pin (sleeve) of the TRS bal output or have you picked a chassis point?

Many interfaces have a resistor to Gnd/0v to protect the outputs from shorts. This can result in some strange output voltage readings depending on where you connect your negative. Also, the USB shell will connect to a PC ground.

I also had a bunch of trouble with some interfaces in the past where the balanced output is not really balanced. It was psuedo balanced via resistors.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Output signals not identical is fully normal and no issue - you're holding it wrong, so to say.. You need to measure (or record) the signal as it is intended to be used, differentially, not using one signal to ground then the next to ground and then trying to make them balanced on the computer - that won't work, and it is not the way these outputs are used. You either connect Ring (or pin 3 XLR) to ground for unbalanced, or use TR (pins 2 and 3 XLR) for balanced operation.

Use a simple multimeter to measure ground free, and use a balanced AD input to verify that they just work as expected. They do.

OP
peniku8

peniku8

Forum Donor
There is obvious distortion visible too. What is your ground reference where you are measuring from? The 3rd pin (sleeve) of the TRS bal output or have you picked a chassis point?

Many interfaces have a resistor to Gnd/0v to protect the outputs from shorts. This can result in some strange output voltage readings depending on where you connect your negative. Also, the USB shell will connect to a PC ground.

I also had a bunch of trouble with some interfaces in the past where the balanced output is not really balanced. It was psuedo balanced via resistors.
I measured against the XLR's ground, not the chassis. I'm pretty sure I have properly balanced outputs in my interface here. Anything else I'd declare as fraud.

Output signals not identical is fully normal and no issue - you're holding it wrong, so to say.. You need to measure (or record) the signal as it is intended to be used, differentially, not using one signal to ground then the next to ground and then trying to make them balanced on the computer - that won't work, and it is not the way these outputs are used. You either connect Ring (or pin 3 XLR) to ground for unbalanced, or use TR (pins 2 and 3 XLR) for balanced operation.

Use a simple multimeter to measure ground free, and use a balanced AD input to verify that they just work as expected. They do.
How would I go at calibrating the output voltage, when I'm testing an external device? I thought I could calibrate it to 2V single ended and then expect to see a 4V input when using a balanced connection, but measuring positive to negative shows something in the 3.5V range in that case.
The device has been RMA'd once before and I'm not sure I trust it fully. It loses connection/resets the driver sometimes when a ceiling light is switched off and I get rather high distortion readings near full output (I can post a measurement in a bit, but maybe that's normal, I'm not so sure).

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I measured against the XLR's ground, not the chassis. I'm pretty sure I have properly balanced outputs in my interface here. Anything else I'd declare as fraud.

How would I go at calibrating the output voltage, when I'm testing an external device? I thought I could calibrate it to 2V single ended and then expect to see a 4V input when using a balanced connection, but measuring positive to negative shows something in the 3.5V range in that case.
The device has been RMA'd once before and I'm not sure I trust it fully. It loses connection/resets the driver sometimes when a ceiling light is switched off and I get rather high distortion readings near full output (I can post a measurement in a bit, but maybe that's normal, I'm not so sure).
Don't conflate "balanced" with "symmetrical voltage wrt ground." They are not the same thing.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Don't conflate "balanced" with "symmetrical voltage wrt ground." They are not the same thing.

When it comes to a differential signalling system, would you want equal opposing voltages, or not, to enable the best performance?

Any form of offset will decrease or diminish the performance in such a setup.

pma

Major Contributor
While doing some voltage calibrations today, I found out that the positive and the negative end of a balanced output on my RME Fireface UC do not output the same voltage. I measured 1.9V on one lead and 1.3 on the other (don't remember which was which, but I think the positive had a higher voltage).
I then recorded from both wires and also recorded a differential signal (which should sum to zero if I understand that correctly?).
Negative: -18.4dbFS; Positive: -15,9dbFS; Sum (Positive->Positive, Negative->Ground): -11.6dbFS

Signal generator was REW in ASIO mode, 1khz. Here is the waveform of the measurement across + and -

zdSFsuq.png

Am I missing something? If I understand the differential nature of balanced connections correctly, the signal should be mirrored, which should sum to zero, or just be twice the voltage of the individual channels, when measured differentially (since they should output the same voltage?).
Looks like overload with signs of phase inversion. You should measure it with the scope. Soundcard is always prone to mistakes. Decrease generator amplitude and repeat it.

OP
peniku8

peniku8

Forum Donor
When it comes to a differential signalling system, would you want equal opposing voltages, or not, to enable the best performance?

Any form of offset will decrease or diminish the performance in such a setup.
I was under the same impression, but maybe someone can explain why that is not the case.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
OP
peniku8

peniku8

Forum Donor

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Well, there is a manual. And it explains the levels at the servo-balanced outputs. This is not a HiFi unit...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It matters not a bit since "ground" is taken out of the picture as far as the receiver is concerned. That's the beauty of differential.

Is it? The source is never actually differential in the first place. It's psuedo, at best, especially with digital.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Is it? The source is never actually differential in the first place. It's psuedo, at best, especially with digital.
It absolutely is differential. Get the "g" word out of your thinking, it's irrelevant in differential applications.

Where "ground" comes in is consideration of balanced, and there, the ONLY thing that matters is equal impedances to ground. Equal voltages to ground aren't necessary for balanced transmission and reception.

Top Bottom