• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's with all the spam threads?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
We did #1 in another forum and it made no difference. I think all of these are human spammers hired for nothing in other countries. So no amount of Q/A will deter them.
I'm not so sure that this isn't an attempt my some specific person to antagonize the site and it's owner?

Timbo2

At least with our current spammer - is it possible to preclude posting URL's as title. Black hole any title that contains http or https?

We'd at least force the person to work a little harder...

Wombat

Master Contributor
I'm not so sure that this isn't an attempt my some specific person to antagonize the site and it's owner?

It does seem like a concerted effort. Too obvious for any real return.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I like the conspiracy theory that WBF, SBAF or some other forum is behind the spam threads, but I think it's likelier that the spammers are using the forum for their own spammy SEO purposes. Perhaps Amir will allow some of us to assist him and Mr. Savage in deleting the spam threads.

FunctionalDoc

I do my daily hit of the Report button on this spam attack everytime I see some. I got 3 already today.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Another forum does something like that but it takes a lot of human monitoring to check each and every new post from all new users. I can't recall which it was, but for one a new user's first five posts had to be read and released by a moderator before you were given permission to post freely.

That was the case at diyAudio when I was an admin there. At another forum I administered, we just required the first post to be manually moderated. That was 95% as effective as the more onerous 5 post route. That's how I would do it, but it's not my forum so it's not my call to make.

BTW, what is your trumpet forum?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
That was the case at diyAudio when I was an admin there. At another forum I administered, we just required the first post to be manually moderated. That was 95% as effective as the more onerous 5 post route. That's how I would do it, but it's not my forum so it's not my call to make.

BTW, what is your trumpet forum?

Thanks, I may suggest that.

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/

It is not mine but Todd's, a player, professor, and sysadmin as well as all-around great guy. I moderate a forum that encourages a sound-based approach to brass (or any wind instrument) playing, song and wind. The BBS is ancient; Todd keeps planning to upgrade but never seems to have the time, plus there are some technical issues with keeping the posts when rolling forward.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Thanks, Don. I've been doing some trumpet recordings with my brother-in-law who runs an instructional website. I am, of course, hopeless with playing brass, but I know how to set up a mike.:D

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
is it possible to preclude posting URL's as title. Black hole any title that contains http or https?
Sometimes the way our current software baffles me and this is one of them. There is no way to disable URLs in a title of a post! I can mark URLs as spam but it would include the body of the post. I think the spammers must know this and hence the reason they stuff the URL in the title.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I do my daily hit of the Report button on this spam attack everytime I see some. I got 3 already today.
And it is much appreciated as that is the first time I notice in the mornings and deal with.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Thanks, Don. I've been doing some trumpet recordings with my brother-in-law who runs an instructional website. I am, of course, hopeless with playing brass, but I know how to set up a mike.:D

Off-topic, but thank you! I need to improve my skills for the jazz chair, getting old to keep playing lead all the time. Tried to hand off the lead for some of the last concert but only limited success (still needed to play the high stuff), and at the dress rehearsal did a solo for the 2nd player (who was out) and the conductor then added me to the lineup at the concert. I didn't totally suck, but would like to have done better over the changes...

Mic'ing a trumpet isn't too hard but can be tricky... Help to place the mic a little low (high) and blow over (under) it instead of right at it to reduce overload and breath/valve noise, and a little distance from the mic also helps capture the sound better. Clip-ons are nice on stage but tend to pick up too much handling and valve noise IME (there are a few exceptions). That said, my recording days are long ago, so I'd best keep quiet... :)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Thanks! Nice sound.

"The mike was positioned about 1 meter in front of and slightly below the trumpet’s bell. " -- That is the standard advice and usually the way I mic a trumpet if possible.

Reactions: SIY

JSmith

Master Contributor
There are a lot of spam attacks here recently... funny that it's when PS Audio, Cambridge, Nordost and Audioquest happen to have negative reviews recently. :rolleyes:

JSmith

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There are a lot of spam attacks here recently... funny that it's when PS Audio, Cambridge, Nordost and Audioquest happen to have negative reviews recently. :rolleyes:

JSmith
I think it's unscrupulous diploma farm stuff. They will sell you a fake diploma. My best guess. :D I don't know how the staff @ ASR kicks and bans these text flooders but I imagine the IP address & MAC address is changed each day by the text flooder(s).

DonR

Major Contributor
I think it's unscrupulous diploma farm stuff. They will sell you a fake diploma. My best guess. :D I don't know how the staff @ ASR kicks and bans these text flooders but I imagine the IP address & MAC address is changed each day by the text flooder(s).
How can we know it's a fake diploma if we haven't listened to it? :)

DonR

Major Contributor
The market for ASR members who read Chinese and are in the market for a fake diploma can't be huge... can it? LOL

I just report and then ignore.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The market for ASR members who read Chinese and are in the market for a fake diploma can't be huge... can it? LOL

I just report and then ignore.
I think it's a numbers operation. Hit as many possible resources as possible and cross the fingers and hope somebody responds and spends some money. I report them too but I don't ignore. I like to see what is going on.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I did notice some “Gon” members going at each other on one thread I follow but the Chinese (assumed, as I don’t know for sure) ones I just ignore and usually are gone the next time I get on

Top Bottom