• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's up with Apple Music missing on most streamers?

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't subscribe to Apple Music but my kids do. Recently one of them wanted to play her Apple Music with BluOS. This on an old Bluesound Node that does not have Airplay. But BluOS does not have Apple Music, and my understanding is Sonos is the only streaming platform that does (not sure about this). I told her just use one of the streaming services I have running on the Node, so no big deal. But this seems very odd. Is there some good reason Apple doesn't want to be on these devices?

OP
P

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How so? Isn't this better for the other streaming services? I know it probably doesn't matter much, but I don't see how this helps Apple. And if Apple does not want to be on these platforms, why does Sonos have Apple Music?

Taddpole

How so? Isn't this better for the other streaming services? I know it probably doesn't matter much, but I don't see how this helps Apple. And if Apple does not want to be on these platforms, why does Sonos have Apple Music?

It helps them sell more homepods and the new smaller one.

Zensō

Major Contributor
There’s likely no incentive for Apple to bother with the smaller streaming platforms. Services have become much more profitable for Apple in recent years, but generally they are still more about ecosystem lock-in than direct profitability. In other words, Apple Music is primarily there to sell you next year’s iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

Last edited:

Taddpole

There’s likely no incentive for Apple to bother with the smaller streaming platforms. Services have become much more profitable for Apple in recent years, but generally they are still more about ecosystem lock-in than direct profitability. In other words, Apple Music is primarily there to sell you next year’s iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

Not really as Apple music is on android and recently google nest devices can't really call it locked in.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why buy anything apple to begin with is the better question....

Top Bottom