• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the speaker of your dreams?

atsmusic

Am I allowed to dream? Any Focal Grande Utopia. Don’t even dare to think about the price, it’s an absurd nightmare, but they sound darn good to me.

If I could afford them (and also to build a dedicated room for them) I would buy them in a heartbeat. Sadly I don't think that will ever happen unless I win the lottery.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I see quite a few dream speakers that are panels or dipoles like the Linkwitz. I owned Magneplanar MG 1.6QR's for a few years and I loved them and sold them really only because they hogged the living room where my system resides.

That would be true too for my own dream speaker which is the Apogee Grand ribbon speakers ... http://www.reality-audio.com/the_grand.html. These are nothing if not very large speakers -- 1300 lbs. per pair. You aren't going to get these on the Klippel!! There was a member on a another forum who owned a pair of these monsters; he choose his apartment to accommodate them ... see the last pic.

ApogeeGrand.jpg

ApogeeGrand_Fliorian.jpg

Last edited:

garbz

Depends on when you ask me. For many years I dreamt about a set of B&W 800s. Had my eye set on them for a good 20 years. I had a set of B&W 800 D3s in my living room 8 months ago ... and returned them. Mind you 20 years ago I dreamt about girls with H cup breasts as well, not sure what was going on in my head back then, they are so impractical.

Now that I'm old and wise dreams have changed. Incidentally I haven't bought my next / endgame yet. I was supposed to listen to Dutch and Dutch 8Cs today but unfortunately something came up and we had to cancel the audition. Maybe next week I'll be living the dream.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
An immaculately restored pair of ESL63, given that my rooms are not palatial. Multiple subs.

The only dynamic driver speakers I have heard that I liked as much or better than the ones I have were a pair of pristine Fulton Js. Who knows which version, since that changed almost weekly, but this particular pair really nailed it.

gnarly

Major Contributor
I could not imagine retuning to the world of store bought speakers. Spent 3-4 fine decades there.....was predominantly a 'stat'/planar/ribbon head.

DIY all the way for me now...Synergy/MEHs...with advanced speaker processing.

If i had money to burn, and wanted to give 'purchase' a go again, it would probably be for a Meyer Bluehorn LCR setup.
But I'd also want the studio construction/acoustic setup that goes with them.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t know about “of my dreams,” but in my head for the 2 channel system I’m knocking around a kind of Gradient Revolution x TAD x Dutch&Dutch concoction using a 6” Pioneer EX (magnesium cone/ceramic-graphic tweeter) coax on top, a pair of resistance loaded 10” ScanSpeak Revelator aluminum woofers (maybe as 1.5 way?), and rear firing Aurasound NS12s in closed boxes. Maybe a KEF 8” coax mounted above the subwoofer to experiment with a “late ceiling splash” type approach a la @Duke . Basic passive M/T crossover (mostly to protect the tweeter) with EQ overlay, active for the rest (Studio SHD + 10x10HD).

I call it the Basement Cleanout.

Steve H

Have you ever heard a Paragon? I have not and I read that they sound brash. I'm curious what a first hand account is about them. I'm a horn aficionado so I can dig your liking for the Paragon too.

I set up few in my youth and they played my reference albums and recordings very well. They did require a few simple room treatments however.

Haruko

Why the S360 and not 1237 or 8361?
S360 for that huge sound as you can listen mid to far field... 8361... i don't think so.. 1236 would be absolute nirvana but these are made with room planning in mind as these are usually build in the wall in asymmetrical room (studio)... S360 i could just take outside, to the backyard and blast away

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
S360 for that huge sound as you can listen mid to far field... 8361... i don't think so.. 1236 would be absolute nirvana but these are made with room planning in mind as these are usually build in the wall in asymmetrical room (studio)... S360 i could just take outside, to the backyard and blast away
8361 should sound better(coaxial 3-way) than S360, 1237 is also supposed to be better than S360 and they all should be as loud more or less
I just don't see it's appeal

Haruko

8361 should sound better(coaxial 3-way) than S360, 1237 is also supposed to be better than S360 and they all should be as loud more or less
I just don't see it's appeal
hey you go and buy yourself your dream speaker ... don't steal my dreams :D

Haruko

Depending on the source wives can sound a bit harsh and shouty at upper midrange compared to audiophile speakers

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
An immaculately restored pair of ESL63, given that my rooms are not palatial. Multiple subs.

The only dynamic driver speakers I have heard that I liked as much or better than the ones I have were a pair of pristine Fulton Js. Who knows which version, since that changed almost weekly, but this particular pair really nailed it.

I think back fondly on owning the ESL63s!

I used them for quite a while on their own, and later added subwoofers. I found the Gradient dipole subs (not really "subwoofer" territory, but extended the bass quite a bit), made especially for the 63s, was the most easy and seamless blend I've heard. In fact I always felt it was the most seamless blend of a sub with stats I've heard, including all the Martin Logan hybrids.

I don't doubt someone could achieve an even more seemless blend with the latest subs and DSP help. It would be interesting to hear it as, at least subjectively, I have always perceived a change of character between dynamic cones and the stats in previous attempts.

Top Bottom