• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the speaker of your dreams?

tomchris

If I had room and money to spend:

- Apogee Full-range Ribbon Speakers
- Dynaudio SC-VI

Last edited:

Bleib

Major Contributor
Something like Ino Audio pi60, but not as reflective surface (the sub is not needed though, these things dig down to 18hz)

pi60bs603.jpg

Or a bookshelf plus subs:
foto-2016-04-24-18-44-37.jpg

Or something from Ino that is even more expensive:
619dc1440407a2b52b6609bcb66c6005.jpg

Then it's not really down to the speakers, it's the recording quality and the room

Last edited:

itz_all_about_the_music

I own mine, Von Schweikert VR4 Gen III HSE.

Martin
Thought you moved on?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thought you moved on?

I did - one small step up the Von Schweikert ladder to the VR-5 Anniversary - the new speaker of my dreams...

Martin

Last edited:

concorde1

My dream speaker is a JBL LSR6332, except brought up to 2022 in technology, and looking like a home product with the "monitor blue" finish, and good build quality.
lsr6332_front_z_large.jpg

Or my speakers (March Sointuva) except 3-way and with a hypothetical 10" or 12" Purifi woofer.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I once owned a pair of EPI A500 speakers. They had been refoamed or reconed - don't remember what the seller said exactly. But they sounded amazing! Had to sell them when I retired and downsized. I'd love to have another pair. Anyone know where I can find some?
In their day (around 1975) they were known as EPI towers, I had a pair of EPI mini-towers which I drove with a Phase Linear 400. They could get loud, probably because it had 4 six inch woofers (one on each side) to go with the 4 one inch tweeters. Got stolen in a burgulary, but they were fun.

Andysu

Major Contributor
if my room was wider by only 3 feet i'd replace the x5 4673A with the classic x5 JBL 4675A behind the screen . i had to settle for x5 4673A and i like them . yeah . i like them . plenty dB loud they or even sound as good when played softly quietly .

8c.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
if my room was wider by only 3 feet i'd replace the x5 4673A with the classic x5 JBL 4675A behind the screen . i had to settle for x5 4673A and i like them . yeah . i like them . plenty dB loud they or even sound as good when played softly quietly .

View attachment 214558
That's a badass looking horn. 2- 15" drivers too crossed over at 500Hz. Wowzerzzz.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.png

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
^^^^ Those speakers remind me

Not the speakers of my dreams per se, since I haven't heard them. But among the top list of speakers I'd LOVE to hear are the Diesis Audio speakers - open baffle/horn hybrids, from Italy:

I love the general look, vibe, italian craftsmanship and materials, and the open baffle woofers/horn combo really intrigues me.

richardbruce

In their day (around 1975) they were known as EPI towers, I had a pair of EPI mini-towers which I drove with a Phase Linear 400. They could get loud, probably because it had 4 six inch woofers (one on each side) to go with the 4 one inch tweeters. Got stolen in a burgulary, but they were fun.
Actually each A500 had a 10" woofer and 2 passive 12" radiators, along with a 4" midrange and a 1" air spring dome tweeter. I drove them with my JVC RX-805VTN 100 w/c. Still have the JVC.

richardbruce

Have you tried Huw Powell at Humanspeakers (dot com)?
Just want to provide an update. I found a beautiful pair of EPI 200B speakers, which are similar to the A500, for only $175. They had been sitting in the seller's closet since he replaced the 8" surrounds years ago. The 10" passive radiators really bring out the bass, again similar to the (2) 15" passive radiators in the A500. I'm very happy with them!

Attachments

• 200B.jpg
    200B.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 51

Ciobi69

^^^^ Those speakers remind me

Not the speakers of my dreams per se, since I haven't heard them. But among the top list of speakers I'd LOVE to hear are the Diesis Audio speakers - open baffle/horn hybrids, from Italy:

I love the general look, vibe, italian craftsmanship and materials, and the open baffle woofers/horn combo really intrigues me.
I heard them,loved it,they were supported by a sub and all sounded good

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It depends on which dream house I want to put the speakers in.

I am a visual person. The speakers must fit the decor.

But I would say some of those Steinway Lyngdorf dipole speakers.

Must have room correction!

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems like we've got a lot of squares doing the dreaming, let's see some better engineering with the cabinets, and less ancient mesopotamia style crossover based speakers!

Let's demand a bit more from dream speakers:

-Cabinet should not be a bad busted lazy square design. Zero parallel lines. Wretched cabinet design is a nightmare to deal with because you need more bracing and dampening to deal with the purposefully increased internal reflections and lack of structural rigidity. Leave that nonsense to budget speakers, not dream speakers!

-Never any lossy passive legacy crossovers that need to be ripped out and replaced with active crossovers and DSP.

-Little to no internal bracing. Design things without ultra lazy straight lines that are purposefully weak compared to a flat surface. Resonance is not welcome. Let's see more carbon fiber if that helps!

-No lies about bass limitations. Shove thousands of watts into it and have massive excursion like a Devialet Phantom, and if it won't fit, shut up and put a dual opposing woofer system with a shared magnet. If it's the size of an L100 or the Klipsch Heresy it can go to 20hz unless it's purposefully designed to destroy bass extension and mutilate the music.

Ultimately I'd be looking at something like a Genelec 8361 with woofers on the side like a Devialet Phantom/KEF and two more in the back to help with cardioid bass projection. The dual opposing structure would also help as useful bracing.

Maybe some ports like in Kali speaker on the bottom, and EARC but with daisy chaining and GLM too over HDMI, and the ability to decode surround sound formats.

Then add an app where you can use measurement data from ASR to severely degrade them to sound like other lesser speakers in case someone is waxing nostalgic over their former speaker.

Can't wait to see if Dutch and Dutch make or Kii make a coaxial speaker with curved sides, or if Genelec adds dual opposed woofers or even more bass dispersion control, first.

Ported

The best speaker I ever heard was a Kef prototype set up in BBC maida vale studios. So I would love to audition them myself in what would need to be a pretty big lounge.. they were similar to these https://stereonomono.blogspot.com/2011/06/kef-km-1.html?m=1

But not sure if that model was pre or post. I do remember the mids were handled by what looked like a huge (4inch?) domed device like a tweeter.
The story was that the engineers there tried them for a few days but said nah! .. not good .. until someone left them a bit live when plugging in and noticed one bass cone moved different to the rest during the enevitable crunch. Kef came and put it in phase and from then on they had refused to return them..
Probably well sluggish by today's standards but still hanker after my memory of the sound they made..

Top Bottom