• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the speaker of your dreams?

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I had many speakers in my life. I had many I-had-to-get-this dream's, regardless if it was for my desktop or home theater.

My first speaker dream when I was teenager, I wanted the KLH AV-5001/AV-55. My local thrift store back then had a pair for $35 but my father wouldn't let me get them. I knew the bottom drivers were passive radiators but I wanted to throw in actual drivers.
klh_av55.jpg

Next dream. Closet thing to the speaker's above, was a KLH 9915. I worked a bit of the summer to get them. They were $115.
9915.jpg

Next dreamish. For one of my birthdays, I wanted the KLH 4132 as rear speakers for my 5.1. My father paid a whopping $200+ (Used) for them from eBay. Looking back, I am pretty glad that my father does this kind of stuff for me even when my tastes were terrible.
s-l300.jpg

As I got older, I learned more and more about actual good audio. For reference My first true "audiophile" speaker, a pair of Realistic minimus 7's that I used with my old Sansui 2000A at my desk. I later sold my junk KLH collection, $30 for the KLH 4132 and $50 for the KLH 9915, and other KLH speakers.

Next dream was the Sony SSCS-5. Very bright and lack of bass. I overpaid for them, $130, used them at my desk. Later sold my Sony Core HT setup that included these speakers, to my father.
strdh190-2-ch-stereo-receiver-o8OpNj1RdoN2LA-v-186855127.jpg

Next dream (to use on my desk) and speakers that I currently use. It was either the ELAC Debut 2.0 b6.2 or the Polk S20. I picked the ELAC because price mainly, they were $180 on eBay new/open box? versus Crutch-Field's sucky ass "best deal on the internet compared to literally everybody else on planet earth" $250. I should've kept the ELAC's box.
DB6.2_5_small_version_medium.png
baebbac9-ffc4-4405-b670-b7e5eb79f8b7._SL300__.jpg

What I do think of my ELACs after all these years? Little bit bright, very good bass, but very revealing. You through a terrible MP3 at it and it'll reveal every single compression fault. If a chick asked my ELAC's "if she looks fat in this dress", the ELAC's would say yes. I also did the GR Research free mod but removing the tweet grilles.

Current dream is the ELAC Debut Reference DBR62 or the Polk Reserve R200.
AELACDBTRDBR62N.jpg
polk-reserve-r200-500x500.jpg

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Never heard such a speaker like the EPI what was the sound like except for loud vs conventional speakers;
Don't remember too much about them other than I could really rock out with them. Had none of the refinement, vocal palpability or sound staging of the LS3/5as. Hearing the Rogers was really the point where I went from a guy who wanted nothing more than speakers that could play loud and deep to someone who realized the superiority of audiophile type speakers. The first time I heard the LS3/5as my jaw dropped to the floor. Never knew what an audio system was capable before hearing them. They were a true Road to Damascus type experience for me, and the EPI 400s even with their ability to play so much louder and into the bottom octave instantly became junk in my eyes. If In would have still had them when I listened to the LS3/5as, I would have instantly sold them. Fortunately, the insurance settlement let me buy the Rogers, and I did as soon as I moved out of that apartment.

fastfreddy666

View attachment 177910I guess I would build a room around Genelec 1236A.
$12,500.00. That's more than my second hand Toyota. If you have a studio the size of Capitol Studios they should come in handy.

Studio B is the smallest. Only 1023 sq ft. Oasis,Green Day, The Beach Boys, John Mayer and Bob Dylan all recorded there.

sudioB_1200x500.jpg

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just want something tiny that sounds huge. How hard can it be?? :p

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
D

Deleted member 23424

Celestion-Ditton-66-Brochure-1.jpg

Quite honestly, a pair of these and I'd get off the carousel. Lost count of the amount I balked at for around £400 just 4 years ago. They now fetch upwards of £1200 because blokes with beards on Instagram have fucked the game up.

That said, I've just bought a pair of Celef Studio Professional so my teak itch will be scratched when they arrive.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
I just want something tiny that sounds huge. How hard can it be?? :p
Heard ones that fit the bill a few years ago at a HiFi show. Amplification by Constellation the speakers were really small Japanese standmounts. Seemed to defy the laws of physics, after about an hour it was love at first listen, thought that’s it got to have a pair. Approached the dealer doing the demo asked did he stock them, he said no but could order a pair for me. Asked how much? £14,500 could feel the plastic in my pocket melting, told him I’d have to pass. Can’t remember who made them, think it’s a mental safety valve in operation.

Brsvde

As a bloke with a beard on Instagram, I apologize for my kind, but I assure you it wasn't my doing.

I've been a modest speaker owner for only 10 years or so, some simple Axiom M3's and a very poorly crossed no name 6" sub that basically was just an extra power hog despite me never really hearing it.

When I was in San Antonio I heard some systems through the audiophile society there (really nice people, to boot!) and that finally gave me a taste of what real hi-fi was like. A lot of them were massive DIY speakers that I would happily have in my place.

Since moving to Denmark, I'm suddenly surrounded by Dynaudio and the likes, but have yet to hear any of them. I also don't have any speakers since moving across the pond, so I guess my dream speakers are anything that isn't my Sennheiser HD650's or my LG tv...

Edit: It's really interesting to see all you who know so much more and what you'd like, they're now things to aspire to. Thanks for the inspiration :-D

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
View attachment 177977
Quite honestly, a pair of these and I'd get off the carousel. Lost count of the amount I balked at for around £400 just 4 years ago. They now fetch upwards of £1200 because blokes with beards on Instagram have fucked the game up.

That said, I've just bought a pair of Celef Studio Professional so my teak itch will be scratched when they arrive.
Had a former Celestion employee as a student, claimed he had the Luxman valve amp they used for listening tests (sorry to you objectivists). Said it was in his loft where it had been since they closed down in Ipswich. Did he have it or was it b******* offered to buy it, he considered it and wouldn’t part with it. Seems to be such a shame for it to be unused and unloved in someone’s loft.

JaccoW

A pair of Harbeth C7ES-3 XD or it's bigger brother the Harbeth SHL5plus XD. I just really like the look of those classic BBC speakers and the sound of the Compact 7 (non-XD) when I had it was marvelous. Maybe with a pair of Solidsteel stands.

That or one of the larger Genelec RAW models. I heard one of their studio monitors in a museum exhibit in autumn last year and was struck by how good they sounded. The RAW (non painted) version strikes that nice balance between organic looking with a whiff of industrial.

Tryphon

When I was in my teens, the speaker much talked about was the Ditton 66
Celestion Ditton 66 d'occasion

But all I get was a pair of Marantz G4 (still had them)
Marantz - 4G - Ensemble de hauts-parleurs - Catawiki

But my dream at that time was the 4343B
VDS JBL 4343B» - 30020966 - sur le forum «Enceintes HIFI» - 1040 - du site  Homecinema-fr.com

Then I had a crush for the big Cabasse (Galion or Albatros). I achieve to get a pair of Clipper (I also still have a pair of them)
Cabasse clipper 312 M3 - Audiolegend

During the 80-90.. I was very impressed hearing the Eggleston works Andra et Proac Response 4

Egglestonworks Andra Floorstanding Speakers user reviews : 4.7 out of 5 -  23 reviews - audioreview.com
Solid Foundation | ProAc Response 4

But since then I am living with B&W 802N, some sort of a dream from the early 2000's.
1641834959240.jpeg

Still dreaming of the 4343 (but I am sure they are not top notch and I fear a serious WAF issue on them) or maybe some old Sonus Faber Guarnieri or Amati for their fantastic woodwork.
sonus-faber-guarneri-homage_14184_0.jpg

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe not my dream system speakers, but I got a pair of Navis for Christmas. While I had some initial trouble getting them paired correctly with 2 other new components; a K9 Pro FiiO DAC, and Schiit Freya S pre, I'm settling into a setup I can pleasantly listen to. I was excited to know that all 3 new pieces supported fully differential balanced I/O and thought balanced would add a new dimension. Interestingly enough, I'm not convinced the 'balanced sound' is better, or 'right' to me. Not necessarily bad, just different. Many of my tracks just didn't sound as crisp and clear with the smooth articulation I was use to. The issue seems to be with the Freya S. Even using it in its passive mode - straight through with no gain - with balanced cables there seems to be a very slight muddiness to long held notes and phrases in certain music. It is subtle and my son (much younger ears) could not hear it, but I could. I was perplexed.

I decided to hook up the same path with SE cables. While still not what I expected, the sound did seem to improve. Maybe my new components need more break-in time. Today I sitting listening to it without the Freya in the loop using SE cables from the K9 Pro DAC pre out, directly to the Navis. Every track sounded clear and smooth. With simply a lush, rich presence to the sound. This I liked. I'm going to add the Freya back into the chain and see if the sound changes much and I can still hear the objectionable parts. I will say, the muddiness doesn't always show up in every track. Most of my test tracks sound great, so maybe as it always comes down to, the source is bad, and the new system is just more revealing. I dunno at this point. But it is intriguing to me.

I don't think the Navis are at fault. But they are more likely to have introduced more impact on what I'm hearing due to the 3 built-in amps along with the new speaker design. Coming from the Elac UB5s, I just thought the active speakers would sound better.

Saga continues.

Muddy bass is typically caused by "hills" in the frequency response... Once you get rid of that, you get rid of the bass slowness/tubbiness/mud.

If you are able to, try measuring your speakers from your listening position.

Concerning what sounds like your dissatisfaction with them, I really enjoyed mine while I had them but was bothered by the port chuffing. The Kali IN-8 exhibits no such port chuffing and is significantly cheaper, and to my ears a bit less colored (though I don't think the Navis was offensive.)

If you enjoy the dispersion and imaging of coaxials, I'd look at the Phantom Reactor if you can deal with an app and want more bass extension and the best sound, and the IN-8 v2 for better sound but no good looks and cheaper.

Phantom>IN-8 v2>Navis, caveats are app issues, "ugly black boxes", and price to performance and port chuffing, respectively.

Dream speaker wise I think if you go to the Genelec The Ones series you won't bother with any of these. They are just insanely expensive.

D

Deleted member 23424

Screenshot_20220111-104218_Instagram.jpg

Posted on a purely aesthetic level (I've no idea how they perform) you'll have to go some to beat Dieter Rams' designs. His L2 speaker, for Braun (left) pictured with Karl Dietel's VS1-32 design for Heliradio. 1958 and 1965 respectively.

Without Rams all you Apple fanboys would be looking at some very different looking gadgets; the inspiration for much of Apple's design ethos

redjr

As a bloke with a beard on Instagram, I apologize for my kind, but I assure you it wasn't my doing.

I've been a modest speaker owner for only 10 years or so, some simple Axiom M3's and a very poorly crossed no name 6" sub that basically was just an extra power hog despite me never really hearing it.

When I was in San Antonio I heard some systems through the audiophile society there (really nice people, to boot!) and that finally gave me a taste of what real hi-fi was like. A lot of them were massive DIY speakers that I would happily have in my place.

Since moving to Denmark, I'm suddenly surrounded by Dynaudio and the likes, but have yet to hear any of them. I also don't have any speakers since moving across the pond, so I guess my dream speakers are anything that isn't my Sennheiser HD650's or my LG tv...

Edit: It's really interesting to see all you who know so much more and what you'd like, they're now things to aspire to. Thanks for the inspiration :-D
It doesn't always take a lot of money to get really good sound today. Even a modestly priced system with a few select pieces of gear can elevate your music enjoyment. I probably had the cheapest Lafayette system in the mid 60s along with a Radio Shack turntable. It was all I could afford at the time. Fast forward 55 years, my modest system today sounds tons better. We've come a long way.

richardbruce

I once owned a pair of EPI A500 speakers. They had been refoamed or reconed - don't remember what the seller said exactly. But they sounded amazing! Had to sell them when I retired and downsized. I'd love to have another pair. Anyone know where I can find some?

Top Bottom