• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the next logical upgrade following the HD6XX?

sfdoddsy

It may have been mentioned, but for me the next step from my HD580 and HD6xx was simply to EQ them.

There are various profiles available online, and Sonarworks has one for the lazy.

When you see how little EQ is required to make the HD580/600 flat you realise what well designed cans they are.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It may have been mentioned, but for me the next step from my HD580 and HD6xx was simply to EQ them.

There are various profiles available online, and Sonarworks has one for the lazy.

When you see how little EQ is required to make the HD580/600 flat you realise what well designed cans they are.

A very good point. Had I discovered EQ before this year I would have likely not bought half of the cans I have. Find a pair you like the feel and sound of and tweak to your desire , rather than try and "upgrade".

SpaceMonkey

Etymotic Research ER2/3/4 with dual-flange tips kit will be a good step forward. Amazon has them and if they don't fit you you can easily return.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Etymotic Research ER2/3/4 with dual-flange tips kit will be a good step forward. Amazon has them and if they don't fit you you can easily return.

I like SpaceMonkey's approach, step away from the open back headphones. What does Amir use for closed backs? I think it's a Dan Clark Audio model. You may want to look into the Drop + Mr Speakers Ether CX headphones. Dan Clark Audio used to be known as
Mr Speakers. Another option might be ZMF closed back. A relatively inexpensive but very good closed back is the NAD Viso HP50. Those may have been replaced by the NAD Viso HP70. But, in that case there are a few good bluetooth headphones at $400 or so.
In general look into closed backs

SpaceMonkey

I like SpaceMonkey's approach, step away from the open back headphones. What does Amir use for closed backs? I think it's a Dan Clark Audio model. You may want to look into the Drop + Mr Speakers Ether CX headphones. Dan Clark Audio used to be known as
Mr Speakers. Another option might be ZMF closed back. A relatively inexpensive but very good closed back is the NAD Viso HP50. Those may have been replaced by the NAD Viso HP70. But, in that case there are a few good bluetooth headphones at $400 or so.
In general look into closed backs
In fact, HP50 are very good if they fit. I suggest them frequently as refurbished they are super cheap, less than 100usd. I broke headband of my HP50 but I attached cups to a different headphone and they are very good.
The reason i suggest Etymotic Research is because they offer nearly the shortest path between transducer and eardrum. And ER2 have thinner cables with less microphonics so they can be even better value than er3/er4 series. I do have HD600, HP50, LCD2.2, ER2XR and ER4S. ER4S is the most transparent but their cable kills me (as i have to stay superstill). LCD2.2(non-fazor) are really weird and i don't like them at all.
Another headphone which is cool, but rare is Stax SR-001 (or 003 IIRC in modern version). Very light and immediate sound with lots of HF. can be had quite cheap used. light bass though. I still like it and use it often because of sound immediacy and no harshness (although HF is there)

Top Bottom