• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the most relevant headphone measuring site?

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Since Innerfidelity is long dead, where are we supposed to go for measurements of new headphones on the market? DIY-Audio-Heaven is great, but they update incredibly slowly and don't come close to cover most new products. Rtings are thorough but focuses on consumer electronics rather than hi-fi gear. Soundstage are very picky, and superbestaudiofriends are inconsistent.

There are new headphones coming out all the time, but there's no single reviewer who is simultaneously up-to-date, consistent, thorough, and covers a wide range of categories. Tyll where are you??

Wombat

Master Contributor
Can there really be one?

Reactions: PSO

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

solderdude

Grand Contributor
DIY-Audio-Heaven is great, but they update incredibly slowly and don't come close to cover most new products.

That's because I can only measure some new products at a dealer (haven't been there for over a year) or have to buy the headphones myself.
Some were sent to me by curious forum members.
My exposure is only my own website and an occasional link on ASR.
For me its nothing serious... just a hobby paid out of my own pocket and costing (family) time and more money than I make on selling a few filters.
Sometimes I dig a little deeper and ends up taking 2 days to measure, make plots and write some meaningful words. Finally finished measuring the SRH1840 from one of our ASR members.

Oratory also has no financial interest but has much exposure at head-fi and people just want to know how to set their EQ (to get Harman target).

R'tings makes a living of headphones and TV/monitors and has much more funds available.

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Meta-Database

The ones I compiled are in there. If Head-Fi was more systematic and took themselves more seriously they could outclass others with their gear and resources. Otherwise, it's as @solderdude said.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I used ratings yesterday to check out measurments for the shp9600.
Yep exactly what I heard. Warmer tilt, recessed mids, not so dark highs. I was really disappointed. :( I bought before Zeo's review and before any measurement done...

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
That's because I can only measure some new products at a dealer (haven't been there for over a year) or have to buy the headphones myself.
Some were sent to me by curious forum members.
My exposure is only my own website and an occasional link on ASR.
For me its nothing serious... just a hobby paid out of my own pocket and costing (family) time and more money than I make on selling a few filters.
Sometimes I dig a little deeper and ends up taking 2 days to measure, make plots and write some meaningful words. Finally finished measuring the SRH1840 from one of our ASR members.

Oratory also has no financial interest but has much exposure at head-fi and people just want to know how to set their EQ (to get Harman target).

R'tings makes a living of headphones and TV/monitors and has much more funds available.
How's the 1840? You seem to like it. I got a pair in 2015 and sold it very quickly. But idk if I can like it now. I felt the 3khz were too much the sound was overall too hard/stiff and rough.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Philips certainly went in a different tonal direction with them.
After seeing measurements I kinda feel like there may be a way to boost the 2khz acoustically by covering up a portion of the back.
EIDT: Using three fingers(covering up 80%) to secure a two ply tissue paper(overing up 100%) on the back of each side turns it back to 9500 (sort of). Less mid bass bloom, better mids, over all much lower to 9500.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
How's the 1840?

This is what I wrote about it: The bolded part is probably what you didn't like about it.

Slightly light on the bass but not lacking in bass or bass extension. Bass sounds realistic and very natural/realistic. Bass ‘snaps’ in the correct amount when listening at somewhat louder listening levels.
The mids sound polite and not emphasized, so no ‘forward’ nor highly ‘dynamic’ mids. Just non intrusive and clean mids. No chances of listening fatique.
The treble is not accentuated and on the correct level. There is enough ‘air’ but ‘sparkle’ is slightly lacking. There is a very slight but not disturbing ’emphasis’ on sss-ess but not so much one could call it sibilant. Just a slight unnaturalness in the treble.
This could be called a neutral and realistic sound just a touch light in the bass when one likes ‘Harman bass’ sound. For those enjoying jazz and classic music it is just about right.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
After seeing measurements I kinda feel like there may be a way to boost the 2khz acoustically by covering up a portion of the back.
EIDT: Using three fingers(covering up 80%) to secure a two ply tissue paper(overing up 100%) on the back of each side turns it back to 9500 (sort of). Less mid bass bloom, better mids, over all much lower to 9500.
Ah yes, the classic TP mod.

angel-soft-toilet-paper-gep16880-64_300.jpg

Top Bottom