• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the last word on audio cable?

yapaniv

There are several ones on this forum. Here is one I could find with a quick search:
It seems that the cable is made of copper and only the terminal is made of silver or gold

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are several ones on this forum. Here is one I could find with a quick search:
Love the cheesy banana jacks on it lol

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems that the cable is made of copper and only the terminal is made of silver or gold
Do you have some reason to think silver is better or worse than copper?

Hatto

Again, a thicker copper cable would have much less resistance than a slimmer silver wire. Considering price differential between silver and copper, it's ALWAYS THE CASE. So yes, copper has lower resistance than silver in ALL practical applications.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Again, a thicker copper cable would have much less resistance than a slimer silver wire. Considering price differential between silver and copper, it's ALWAYS THE CASE. So yes, copper has lower resistance than silver in practical applications.
Sure, but copper is so...plebian. I mean Amazon or MonoPrice sell copper wire.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I meant in terms of distortions to make a comparison, which metal causes more distortions and does it affect the sound or not
What "distortions" are you talking about?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sorry you think that way, I asked a legitimate question and I would appreciate a scientific explanation
You're not really asking any good questions that haven't been answered several times. But it's kind of fun.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sorry you think that way, I asked a legitimate question and I would appreciate a scientific explanation
You’ve been given several, yet choose to ignore them…

Anyway, the two cables you mentioned are just silver plated, as I already eluded too. The difference to non silver plated copper isn’t significant. Shorten the cable one CM, and it will have a bigger influence…

yapaniv

@Ami
You’ve been given several, yet choose to ignore them…
I don't ignore the answers, I saw that @amirm made some comparisons between expensive and cheap cables, but they were all copper, so I asked if there was a difference with a silver cable, thanks anyway

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Ami

I don't ignore the answers, I saw that @amirm made some comparisons between expensive and cheap cables, but they were all copper, so I asked if there was a difference with a silver cable, thanks anyway
Yw

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Maybe @yapaniv is a Vampire?
Or the Lone Ranger.

The explanation is that you don't like the answer you've been given repeatedly: THERE IS NO PARTICULAR TECHNICAL ADVANTAGE OR DISADVANTAGE BETWEEN COPPER AND SILVER IN AUDIO APPLICATION.

Hatto

@Ami

Not that resistance matters in sound quality but if that's your primary concern:

The resistance of The Clearwater Speaker Cable (Pair) is specced as 0.9ohms/100m which is priced at over $100/m
The resistance of basic Monoprice 12AWG copper wire is 0.5ohms/100m which is priced at under $1/m

12AWG copper provides almost half the resistance with 1/100th the price.

Satisfied?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not that resistance matters in sound quality but if that's your primary concern:

The resistance of The Clearwater Speaker Cable (Pair) is specced as 0.9ohms/100m which is priced at over $100/m
The resistance of basic Monoprice 12AWG copper wire is 0.5ohms/100m which is priced at under $1/m

Satisfied?
And MonoPrice is the first choice of discerning audiophiles.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

But the only reason for the lower resistivity is the gauge of the wire. It’s 14 vs 12 AWG.

Now we only have to wait for skin effect and crystal barrier arguments…

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But the only reason for the lower resistivity is the gauge of the wire. It’s 14 vs 12 AWG.

Now we only have to wait for skin effect and crystal barrier arguments…
Not to mention, quantum purifiers.

Top Bottom