• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Whats the instrument called in the song Lye La Lye from simon and garfunkel that sounds a littel like a duck?

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I'm thinking of the same thing, I would say a baritone sax, played loose and honky, close miked.

Kuppenbender

Forum Donor
It's a Bass Harmonica, btw the title of the song is "The Boxer".
How infuriating for Paul Simon. He spends hours finely crafting the music and lyrics to a song. Art forgets the words mid recording, and his ‘Lie-la-lies’ become the the only thing that stick in the mind, eventually becoming the informal title to many. No wonder they fell out!

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
How infuriating for Paul Simon. He spends hours finely crafting the music and lyrics to a song. Art forgets the words mid recording, and his ‘Lie-la-lies’ become the the only thing that stick in the mind, eventually becoming the informal title to many. No wonder they fell out!

You might be joking, but I think Paul Simon had no lyrics for the chorus and that filler just ended up sticking. He has said he was embarrassed about it, but obviously the song became an epic hit!

Madeintooting

You might be joking, but I think Paul Simon had no lyrics for the chorus and that filler just ended up sticking. He has said he was embarrassed about it, but obviously the song became an epic hit!

Some say it was a dig a Bob Dylan, though as they both nicked vast parts of their repertoire from Matin Carthy who can say?

OP
tomtoo

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I did not know the titel. Just googld simon&garfunkel ley la ley and found somehing so i thought ok people will know what i mean. Did not know that the song titel is 'the boxer'.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Some say it was a dig a Bob Dylan, though as they both nicked vast parts of their repertoire from Matin Carthy who can say?
Who knows what was in Simon’s head but Simon. For what it’s worth:

In a 1990 interview with SongTalk magazine, Simon said: "I thought that 'lie la lie was a failure of songwriting. I didn't have any words! Then people said it was 'lie' but I didn't really mean that. That it was a lie. But, it's not a failure of songwriting, because people like that and they put enough meaning into it, and the rest of the song has enough power and emotion, I guess, to make it go, so it's all right. But for me, every time I sing that part, I'm a little embarrassed."

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/simon-garfunkel/the-boxer

Semla

egellings

Major Contributor
It sounds like a harmonica to me, and for some crazy reason, I always envision it being played by a frog. Go figure.

Top Bottom