• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the easiest way to generate PEQ settings from a frequency response curve?

brimble

Forum Donor
Hi hi!

Edited to add: I thought I needed to EQ some headphones for which I have a frequency response graph. On second thoughts, I don't actually need to do this, so don't bother addressing my specific needs. But I'm not deleting this thread because I don't know how to delete a thread! And anyway this question might be of some use to someone else even though I no longer need an answer myself.

So my question was: what's the best way to create PEQ settings from a frequency response graph?

I can see how to do this by playing around with a PEQ program that has a good graphical interface using trial and error until I get the inverse of the frequency response curve (and also lowering the overall volume if the new curve is likely to drive the phones into distortion). Is that the best way to do it, or is there a more methodical way?

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
REW can generate filters using its ‘EQ’ function.
Keith

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi hi!

Edited to add: I thought I needed to EQ some headphones for which I have a frequency response graph. On second thoughts, I don't actually need to do this, but I don't know how to delete a thread! And anyway this question might be of some use to someone else even though I no longer need an answer myself.

So my question was: what's the best way to create PEQ settings from a frequency response graph?

I can see how to do this by playing around with a PEQ program that has a good graphical interface using trial and error until I get the inverse of the frequency response curve (and also lowering the overall volume if the new curve is likely to drive the phones into distortion). Is that the best way to do it, or is there a more methodical way?
I'm assuming you have seen the various eq resources eg oratory1990 and the various different measurement resources pooled with eq on auto eq?

They would be a good starter for 10, or are your measurements unique to your kit /ears?

Edit and Keith has given you a solution if it is unique measurements, you just need to pick your target curve.

Last edited:

luft262

You can get an app called Wavelet and it has EQ profiles for an incredible number of headphones that will follow the Harmon Curve. If you want to make your own profiles REW would probably be the best.

Top Bottom