• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the deal with mid-tier closed headphones?

Yaiba

If you need to use headphone for long session. I think ATH-R70x might meet your expectation. Sound quite flat and detailed, very comfortable to wear for very long session. I favor to use r70x to listen very long concert (3-4hours). but I'm not sure about 8 hours. Only one minus, it quite power hungry. It have 470ohm impedance but 99db sensitivity. Someone said it able to use with portable because it very sensitive. But I suggest to use with headphone amp that have high power (I used with stack D50s+A50s) because even if you able to hear from low power source but sound will be very dull and less detail. I think current price dropped to around 250USD(from 349USD).

I have many Audio technica headphones such as m40x,msr7,msr7b,sr9,ap2000ti. But I give the best all rounder for r70x.It very detailed(to hear small detail in the concert record clearer such as fan chant calling or clapping) and tonal well balanced not treble peak like msr7/msr7b.

OP
zepplock

zepplock

If you need to use headphone for long session. I think ATH-R70x might meet your expectation. Sound quite flat and detailed, very comfortable to wear for very long session. I favor to use r70x to listen very long concert (3-4hours). but I'm not sure about 8 hours. Only one minus, it quite power hungry. It have 470ohm impedance but 99db sensitivity. Someone said it able to use with portable because it very sensitive. But I suggest to use with headphone amp that have high power (I used with stack D50s+A50s) because even if you able to hear from low power source but sound will be very dull and less detail. I think current price dropped to around 250USD(from 349USD).

I have many Audio technica headphones such as m40x,msr7,msr7b,sr9,ap2000ti. But I give the best all rounder for r70x.It very detailed(to hear small detail in the concert record clearer such as fan chant calling or clapping) and tonal well balanced not treble peak like msr7/msr7b.

Did you mean ATH-M70? R70 are open backs.

Yaiba

Did you mean ATH-M70? R70 are open backs.
Sorry, r70x is open backs. When you said you need for long session I think of r70x first. Then I forgot about your topic that you want only closed back for isolation. For close back that I used, both m40x and msr7/msr7b very isolated. It comparable with entry NC headphone. But for a long session. M40x will get hot and sweat as it have lower grade earpad(it ok for the price but lower when compare with other ATH series). And msr7/msr7b have better pad that not get hot but it have treble peak that may effect to feel fatigue after use around 30-60 minutes. Anyway, ap2000ti better( close back with large driver, comfort to use long time ,sound a bit colors,) but out of your price range.

Brianc

Finding good sounding closed headphones is a daunting task.
Ones that worked for me (and kept) were DT1770 (modified) and Audeze Sine with large pads (both second hand, for nice prices).
Also kept the DT1350 (with other pads and EQ) but would not recommend this on-ear. It is not liked universally so to speak.
T51P also is quite decent in some aspects that are important to me. Did not buy one though.
Quite liked the DCA AEON closed but found it too expensive.
SRH1540 was not bad, needed EQ, way too bassy/fat and not great at louder levels.

In studios the DT250-250 (needs mods to balance L and R) is good (as in tonally balanced) but treble is not 'refined'.
DT150 with DT100 pads also is quite good, funky looking and no silky smooth treble either but excellent for studio usage.
High clamping force.
How difficult is it to swap the DT-150 pads?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
very easy.

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Finding good sounding closed headphones is a daunting task.
Ones that worked for me (and kept) were DT1770 (modified) and Audeze Sine with large pads (both second hand, for nice prices).
Also kept the DT1350 (with other pads and EQ) but would not recommend this on-ear. It is not liked universally so to speak.
T51P also is quite decent in some aspects that are important to me. Did not buy one though.
Quite liked the DCA AEON closed but found it too expensive.
SRH1540 was not bad, needed EQ, way too bassy/fat and not great at louder levels.

In studios the DT250-250 (needs mods to balance L and R) is good (as in tonally balanced) but treble is not 'refined'.
DT150 with DT100 pads also is quite good, funky looking and no silky smooth treble either but excellent for studio usage.
High clamping force.

What other pads and EQ do you use with the DT1350?

markanini

Major Contributor
You could do worse than DT770. They are easily more balanced than AT M50x, Sony MDR7506 and Senn HD280.

Iglo

Forum Donor
Another vote for the DT770. Keep in mind that there is some audible difference between the different Ohm rated versions (which you may or may not prefer). Personally I like the 80 ohm version best (bit more bass and little less prominent treble) and it works with less powerful sources.

I use them without EQ for watching series/films and listening to Rock/EDM, for these use cases I like the base tuning. For other music I prefer other headphones, but still holds it's own DT770 (definitely for the price). With EQ it's easy to get them sounding a bit more neutral, but the base tuning is for many use cases very pleasant. And not unimportant it's a very comfortable headphone.

The two complaints I have is the fixed (and rather cheap feeling) cable which is also quite long. But the latter is easily fixed by keeping part of the cable in a loop and hold it together using a nice leather cable binder.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
https://soundspares.com/products/be...3mm-size-nubuck-leather?variant=7532729565245

I boost the bass below 200Hz about +5dB (the NL pads lower the bass) and lower the treble above 10kHz a bit (using felt)

Can't use the DT1350 for longer than an hour or 2. One of my pinnae starts to hurt after that.
Thank you. I've been using the stock pads for the T51i/p (EDT 51P) for the past year and some months, which I bought from the site you linked to. They're much more comfortable than the 1350 SL pads that came with my 1350s.

Brianc

I've had the Beyerdynamic dt150 for a few days. Initial impression was that they're dull sounding but a touch of eq helped. Very open sounding for a closed back. In fact if I didn't know before putting them on I'd guess they're open back. Initially I found them uncomfortable (especially compared to my ultra comfortable Nightowls), and still find the pad feel unpleasant, but they are light weight and Ive been able to listen for hours with my ears getting somewhat hot but otherwise not bad. They do clamp tight though. Cable seems like cheap crap but it does the job so far. Seem to need a fair amount of power and sound better to me at louder volumes. I think I'll keep them for their open sound, which is impressive since they leak very little and block a lot of the external environment.

OP
zepplock

zepplock

I basically gave up. I might track down used Beyer T70 to try since I'm a sucker for comfort.
Otherwise just by AKG 371s and be happy. Cheap, built like a tank, amazing sound.

oscar_dziki

I basically gave up. I might track down used Beyer T70 to try since I'm a sucker for comfort.
Otherwise just by AKG 371s and be happy. Cheap, built like a tank, amazing sound.
Maybe you should try on the cheap side - Monoprice retro. Here are measurments for you: https://jachandler.com/projects/audio-measurement-rig/
I am using them daily for many hours with theses earpads: https://allegro.pl/moje-allegro/zakupy/kupione/aa76ff11-80c5-11eb-ba99-274589233049
Total cost was less than 60$. IDK where to get these pads outside of Poland so i guess you would need to buy dekoni or sth. else, that would bump up the price. As for my subjective experience with their sound: the base is freaking amazing. Great texture and power. I was blown away. Top end could be better though. Staging great. And for the price everything is 11/10. I would love to see those headphones reviewed here. When the lockdown is over I will surelly go to local store and compare them with 371s. Comfortwise they are as comfy as hd650 and more comfortable than my dt990s.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The monoprice has a 10dB dip at 300Hz and +15dB in the lows and +10dB treble at 7kHz.

This is hardly a serious headphone. In the lows there is only a 20dB distance between signal and distortion.
The rig may not be calibrated in SPL and the author has no idea how to correctly use and setup REW.
The clamping force also is much higher than reality.

The Monoprice looks like a Superlux OEM (HD662, I owned that one). It will sound very very different from K371. Closer to DT990 but with deeper lows that are 'separated' from the mids (300Hz dip).
A fun headphone but far from 'accurate'.

Using different pads will alter the response almost certainly. Velour pads could lower bass levels and make the treble less peaky.

Last edited:

Wortifer

Forum Donor
I will highly recommend Meze 99 classics. I have certainly worn them for 8+ hours and the comfort for me is exceptional. I can only compare them to BD DT 990 80ohm, Focal Listen, Focal Elegia and ATH-M50s. Let me know if you'd like more info.

Top Bottom